Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2019, 14:20   #106

Re: Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)

I own a 2018 Hyundai Creta SX (O) which has a company head unit with apple car play and android auto. I have tried to make it a active setup with the below devices.

Head Unit : Default touch screen head unit
Tweeter : Hertz Energy ET 26.5 (Frequency Response - 2k - 23k)(two pairs - one pair each on the front and the rear doors above the hand rest)
Midrange : Hertz Energy EV 165L.5 (Frequency Response - 50 - 4k, 100 watt RMS)(two pairs - one pair each on the factory default locations on the front and rear doors)
Subwoofer : JBL CS1200BSI Sealed enclosure (Frequency Response - 35Hz-200Hz, 300 Watt RMS) (palced in the boot)

Amplifier 1 (connected to tweeters) : Alpine BBX-F1200 (4*50watt @2ohms)
Amplifier 2 (Connected to the Midrange Speakers) : JBL - GTO 804EZ (4*80watt @4ohms)
Amplifier 3 (Connected to the Subwoofer) : JBL - GTO 501EZ (1* 350watt @4ohms)

DSP : Audio Control DM 810

Now for the configuration part

1. The crossovers on the Amplifers are set to allow all frequencies
2. The crossover points are set on the DSP for each channel as per the speaker specifications
3. Played Pink Noise on the head unit and tuned the cross over points

However I see that the audio quality is not satisfactory. Can anone suggest a installer in Hyderabad who can tune this setup.

Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-wiring-diagram.jpg

Regards
Kiran
Old 27th June 2019, 14:39   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvytla View Post
I own a 2018 Hyundai Creta SX (O) which has a company head unit with apple car play and android auto.

Head Unit: Default touch screen head unit
This is the weakest link in the whole setup that I think is ruining the sound quality.

Is there any de-equalisation in the DSP?
Old 27th June 2019, 15:20   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This is the weakest link in the whole setup that I think is ruining the sound quality.

Yes Anurag, I feel so. Also would like to understand from users of the creta on the alternatives they have tried for an active setup to upgrade the head unit. There are a few challenges replacing the head unit though

1. losing navigation
2. unable use the oem mic array.
3. Loosing the OEM look. (i m a bit concerned when it comes to loosing the OEM look !) Should look OEM and sounds great is my take

The Audio control DM - 810 has a good RTA that shows the frequency response on all the frequency ranges and i de-tuned the stock source using pink noise. It even has the time alignment feature that I haven't used.

Kiran
kvytla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2019, 13:19   #109
BHPian

I have a 2011 Corolla Altis with the stock HU.
I was planning to upgrade the same and purchased a 9" HU from Aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...0-a6e0527ab5cc).
When I went to fit the same with a technician, he informed me that a 9 inch panel is required and the same is very rare to find in Chennai?

Any help on how to address this or how to source this panel will be appreciated.?
Old 6th July 2019, 15:10   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
When I went to fit the same with a technician, he informed me that a 9 inch panel is required and the same is very rare to find in Chennai?

Any help on how to address this or how to source this panel will be appreciated.?
That same Aliexpress link says this so you should have asked the seller to ship you the frame as well.

Quote:
The price for the head unit doesn't include any special frame for car models.
Head unit + Special Frame = Special navigation for car model.
And it is including 9inch or 10inch,nearly suit for any car models.
Old 15th July 2019, 15:24   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Hi @anurag

DO you know any installers in Hyderabad who can check the setup and achieve the best stage possible with the OEM unit. I am also open to idea of upgrading the head unit for the betterment of the audio playback

Regards
Kiran Vytla
Old 24th July 2019, 12:41   #112
BHPian

Quote:
DO you know any installers in Hyderabad who can check the setup and achieve the best stage possible with the OEM unit. I am also open to idea of upgrading the head unit for the betterment of the audio playback
You can try Indian Decar. Their technician Shivram is pretty good!
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other...hyderabad.html (Car Accessories : Indian deCars (Banjara Hills & Himayathnagar, Hyderabad))
Old 14th August 2019, 20:02   #113

I have Innova Crysta AT & I am in the process of installing the below ICE on the stock head unit

1) Pioneer DEQ - S1000A DSP
2) Morel Maximus 602 components for front
3) Morel Maximo Coaxial 6 for Rear
4) Alpine SWE 1080 under seat Woofer
5) Audiobulls acoustic damping gold series

I had a few questions for the above setup

1) I have been advised that I can skip the amplifier because the PIONEER DSP comes with an amplifier, what would be the opinions here

2) May be this is very basic question but usually DSP have time alignment & what if my TA is set to driver seat what happens to the listening quality for the passenger seat? What is the best solution to this it most of the time driver and passenger both love listening to SQ. This is my concern & what is the best solution for this?

3) Does DSP S1000A have easy presets for TA

Any light on this would be really helpful. thank you
mohit1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 19:10   #114
SS4
BHPian

Quote:
3. Loosing the OEM look. (i m a bit concerned when it comes to loosing the OEM look !) Should look OEM and sounds great is my take
Hi Kiran, you might want to check the latest Pioneer stereo offerings for Hyundai Creta. Finding the suitable frame won't be a hassle though, a quick check with your local installer should give you ideas. Below is a picture from the Pioneer India website.
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)-creta_frame.jpeg  

SS4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 11:38   #115

Hello there,
This happens to be my first post on tbhp.
Was an avid reader of forums, glad to be able to contribute to it now and ask questions too.

What I wanted to ask is what Component is better between the JBL and the Infinity 60SCX

The JBL ones are here - https://www.amazon.in/JBL-GTO609C-Hi.../dp/B00881CT3E

And the Infinity kappa ones - https://www.amazon.in/Infinity-60CSX.../dp/B075ZG8BFT

The JBLs are quite highly rated and irrespective of the price I don't see much difference among the two.

Can anyone shed some light on what actually is the difference that justifies the price gap and which ones are better?
Thank you
Old 27th November 2019, 15:57   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
This is going to be a long post written to address anyone who is trying to integrate after market amplifiers and speakers to an OEM HU and has a limited budget. If the "history lesson" does not interest you, drill down to the "Upgrading your OEM car audio on a budget" title in this post. For the rest, here goes...
Hi ! Good Read ! Have you had a chance to check a product made by Rockford Fosgate - DSR1 ?

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/dsr1/

Recently, I had a chance to install this product in a Skoda Rapid and interfaced it to the OE radio ! The speakers were also upgraded with JBL Stadium Series Front and Rear with a JBL S3 sub ! Amps used were Pioneer Class D Full Range 4100-D and a Rockford Fosgate mono block ! I must say that the DSR1 signal processor delivered on all counts. Give it a try and let me know what you think of this product.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th November 2019 at 16:27. Reason: Please refrain from quoting a long post in full. This inconveniences our mobile users.
dasrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 11:21   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrani View Post
Hi! Good Read! Have you had a chance to check a product made by Rockford Fosgate - DSR1?

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/dsr1/

Recently, I had a chance to install this product in a Skoda Rapid and interfaced it to the OE radio! The speakers were also upgraded with JBL Stadium Series Front and Rear with a JBL S3 sub! Amps used were Pioneer Class D Full-Range 4100-D and a Rockford Fosgate monoblock! I must say that the DSR1 signal processor delivered on all counts. Give it a try and let me know what you think of this product.
Lovely but this is hardly a budget install. The DSR1 alone costs 29k.
Old 28th November 2019, 16:26   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Lovely but this is hardly a budget install. The DSR1 alone costs 29k.
DSP - budget version !
Old 29th November 2019, 12:39   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrani View Post
DSP - budget version !
"Budget" version? The Sony XM-GS6DSP, for example, throws in a 6 channel Class D amplifier and is cheaper.

I do not doubt that when it comes to sound quality the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 would walk all over the Sony but it sells at a different price point and competes with products from Audison (Bit 10), JL Audio (Fix82), and Audio Control (DQDX).

Last edited by navin : 29th November 2019 at 12:57.
Old 21st December 2019, 14:22   #120
BHPian

thanks for the nice thread and suggestion to go for a dsp . was holding urge to upgrade the car audio of my creta sx+ petrol. My previous car swift had better upgraded car audio system with alpine xda100 , alpine audessey dsp, jbl 75.4 amp, infinity comps and jbl sealed woofer. For quite some time I did not want to spend much replacing the unit with pioneer unit and adding additional components

Now with excellent information shared here I have bought sony dsp gs6 which i got at a good price.
Now the next step to decide which components and sealed woofer to go with this
Will infinity 6530 prove to be a good replacement to front stock speakers?

Which sealed woofer should i go with?
I am looking for controlled bass and warm sound

Any quick help would be appreciated as I am planning to go for upgrade this weekend

Last edited by vkhandelwal : 21st December 2019 at 14:26.

Most Viewed