Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 18:10   #1
Team-BHP Support

FM Radio ignored?

While there is a lot of talk about lots of features over here, I did not find much on FM Radio.
Here's my predictament.
New Delhi has 10+ FM Channels, and the number will rise soon. In near future there will be about 20FM channels, of which around 15 will be of decent quality(I hope).
So what do we do.
Well lets see.
Any HU(even entry level ones) have 6 presets each in FM1, FM2 and FM3 giving you 18. So far so good.
Now the problem comes in cylcling through the channels.
I use up down key on the HU(Pioneer), it will cycle through 1-2..5-6-1.
I change band to FMII and then cycle through 1-2... and so on.
After FMIII its AM and then its FM1 again.
This requires a lot of fiddling with the tiny band key .This poses a problem for others on the road if they are smaller than my car, and a problem for me if they drive bigger stuff than my car. And by murphy's law somebody will come in front of you when you are fiddling with radio, so I listen to only 6 channels.
IS there any HU which can cycle through all preset FM channels at one go.

For example I can keep pressing up key for 1-2-3...6-1-2 through all three FM bands.
Is there a HU which employs the technique used by TV remotes, the - - key.
So I can have FM channels preset on 00,01,02.....99
Most newer HUs have lots of Jazzy features like Equalizers etc., etc., but sadly the newer versions ignore FM.
Abroad, you have 20-30FM channels, I wonder how people manage there.
Any suggestions?
Right now the only thing I can do is get a Bluetooth enabled HU and use FM radio on my phone or connect Via aux in via my creative nano(FM capability with 32 presets).

Last edited by tsk1979 : 9th January 2007 at 18:13.
Old 9th January 2007, 18:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

The up key in my HU remote will keep switching channels just like the TV remote. The down will do the same too. These keys are there for the DVD operations & works well with the tuner too.
cheers
Old 9th January 2007, 18:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The up key in my HU remote will keep switching channels just like the TV remote. The down will do the same too.
cheers
I am not sure but in mine too. But I never checked it thoroughly because ......
.... CHD has only one FM channel
Old 9th January 2007, 19:13   #4
BHPian

I tried to search too on FMII, however as soon as i reached FMII, it 'un'set all of the channels on FM1 and i was left with fiddling with the controls for even the 6 channels in Bangalore.

Is there any place where i can get a list of all the FM channels available in bangalore?
Old 9th January 2007, 19:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
I tried to search too on FMII, however as soon as i reached FMII, it 'un'set all of the channels on FM1 and i was left with fiddling with the controls for even the 6 channels in Bangalore.

Is there any place where i can get a list of all the FM channels available in bangalore?
India: FM Radio Stations
Old 9th January 2007, 20:26   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
as soon as i reached FMII, it 'un'set all of the channels on FM1
At this point, I'd say that should not have happened, and you could have missed a step.

Blr channels: 91.1, 91.9, 93.5, 94.3, 98.3, 101.3, 102.9. Guess I have missed one - could be 92.7. The link above is a good one for the full list
Old 10th January 2007, 10:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Tsk, this is a problem faced in many developed markets. What you do is then tune to those channels that offer you the cleanest, strongest signal and the music you like. Once you see 20+ channels in any area you will also see channels diffrentiating themselves as Hindi Pop, Hindi Classical, English Classical, etc... so it is a sefl limiting excersice.

Research has shown that any market (even one as large as NYC or LA) can only support 5-6 channels in one genre of music. The reason many HUs have 6 presents x 3 (18 presets) is becuase the belief is that most people will listen to at best 15-18 channels (3 genres and 5-6 channels within each genre). for example I used to have NPR (News Public Radio) and my 5 fav Oldies/Rock channels on FM1, FM2 for Pop and Blues and FM3 for Classical and Jazz.
Old 10th January 2007, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, Navin's right. though there are more than 8 channels now in chennai, i still cannot identify myself with more than 1, that too only for 2 hours in the evening. guess which one is that ? yep, FM Rainbow, that is the only station that provides me with english music. (7-9 PM).

When i was abroad, we never stored any channels, except very few. all the others were just tuned into as & when.
Old 10th January 2007, 11:57   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When i was abroad, we never stored any channels, except very few. all the others were just tuned into as & when.
RDS also helps. DOnt know if they will implement RDS in India though.
Old 10th January 2007, 12:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Navin, we are yet to really use FM, RDS is a definite impossibility in India, much the same as quite a few useful things which never show up in india.
Old 10th January 2007, 12:27   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
FM Rainbow, that is the only station that provides me with english music. (7-9 PM).
Please try 91.1 Radio City
Morning Show with Solomon 7 am to 10 am
Also, from 11 pm all through the night till 5 am
You might be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
RDS also helps. DOnt know if they will implement RDS in India though
Suryan FM 93.5 has RDS for quite some time now although in a simple form. They only broadcast the station name. If your HU is RDS enabled (like my year 2000 Sony XR-C5110R), it shows "SURYAN" for 93.5

This HU allows me to simply press the + and - buttons (used to either go up and down the radio station presets or change the CDs in the changer) and goes through all the bands one by one (FM1 - FM2 - FM3 - MW - LW) after reaching the 6th preset in each band.

Last edited by hrag : 10th January 2007 at 12:35.
Old 10th January 2007, 13:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Please try 91.1 Radio City
Morning Show with Solomon 7 am to 10 am
Also, from 11 pm all through the night till 5 am
You might be pleasantly surprised.

Suryan FM 93.5 has RDS for quite some time now although in a simple form. They only broadcast the station name. If your HU is RDS enabled (like my year 2000 Sony XR-C5110R), it shows "SURYAN" for 93.5

Both times mentioned are not useful to me, but i will tune in to see whats there. thanks for the pleasant surprise anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Are you sure it is not the station titling feature in your set ? because both my sony HUs have this feature where you can give the channel a name.
Old 10th January 2007, 13:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

I guess my point was missed.
6x3==18 which is more than enough.
But the problem is how to change channels without shifting eyes off road.
I can do up down from 1-6 in one FM band only, not up down in all 18. So lets say I have 8 good FM channels.
6 in FM1, and 2 in FM2. Quick channel surfing can be done only in FM1, then I fiddle with band key, and then go to FM2 where I can do up down with channels 1 and 2.
I was looking for a solution wherein I can do channel up down from 1-8 in one go using the up-down key, so that I don't have to take my eyes of the road.
Old 10th January 2007, 13:47   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Are you sure it is not the station titling feature in your set ? because both my sony HUs have this feature where you can give the channel a name.
I'm positive - my HU does not have a station titling feature.
Please see pages 8 and 9 here:
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/386567411X.pdf

tsk1979, I guess what you're asking for is a HU feature. Some (like my HU) have it, some don't.

Last edited by hrag : 10th January 2007 at 13:48.
Old 10th January 2007, 14:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I was looking for a solution wherein I can do channel up down from 1-8 in one go using the up-down key, so that I don't have to take my eyes of the road.
Memorise the band keys position This way you wont have to take your eye off the road.

Another alternative will be to get a steering remote if your HU supports one.

Since your HU doesn't allow direct changing I can think of only these two alternatives at the moment

Most Viewed