Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2018, 11:44   #1

Mirror Link or native GPS navigation?

Hi,

I am driving an Ertiga VXI that does not have any navigation system. I want to upgrade to some navigation + bluetooth capability.

What should be a better solution? A navigation system like
Blaupunkt San Marino 330 6.2 inch that does not have navigation built-in, but supports phone mirror link or something that has the built in capability?

I want to keep the budget low, without suffering too much on the capability.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2018 at 10:05. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts correctly
kangkan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th December 2018, 13:07   #2
BHPian

re: Mirror Link or native GPS navigation?

Given a choice between Mirrorlink and inbuilt/traditional GPS, I would always go with Mirrorlink.

No GPS device can beat Google Maps.

An even better solution is Android Auto or Apple Carplay. They give you bigger touch points while Mirrorlink leaves you with the phone UI, with smaller touch points.

I've seen the Blaupunkt unit on my friend's car and didn't like the UI. I would suggest you check Pioneer SPH-C19BT. It comes with a phone dock built in.

Moreover, the phone's display will be much better than Blaupunkt.

Last edited by suku_patel_22 : 9th December 2018 at 13:11.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 13:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another vote for a Apple Car Play device. It took me to Goa via an unknown (to me) ghat and them Goa to a resort in Dandeli without a slightest glitch. Seamless navigation powered by Google maps. A must have for every person who loves to drive with the help of maps in unfamiliar territory. I believe Android auto is a little harder to make work than car play but probably is equally good.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 18:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I believe Android auto is a little harder to make work than car play but probably is equally good.
It's as simple as Carplay. You just need to plug the phone into a compatible HU.

Google Assistant helps with navigation, calls, music and etc.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 21:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
It's as simple as Carplay. You just need to plug the phone into a compatible HU.

Google Assistant helps with navigation, calls, music and etc.
The problem is that different Android devices have different acting micro USB profiles. Needs a little playing around the USB profile at times to make it work. HONOR devices are particularly notorious here in my experience. But Apple devices work the first time, every time without any hassles.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2018 at 10:07. Reason: typo
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 22:07   #6
BHPian

I would suggest going for a head unit that supports AA or Apple Car Play over mirror link anyday. I happen to have an HU which supports all three. And my vote doesn't go to mirror link for sure.
Between android auto and apple car play, it all depends on what phone do you have. You're of course not gonna purchase a different phone just for this purpose

As for the match between AA Vs Apple Car Play, the thing I like about Apple is that you don't need an additional app like AA. However, you do need car play specific apps, so yeah kind of in the same boat as AA.
I find Google assistant very useful while driving. Haven't tested Siri though.
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 22:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is that different Android devices have a different acting micro USB profile. Needs a little playing around the USB profile at times to make it work. HONOR devices are particularly notorious here in my experience. But Apple devices work the first time, every time without any hassles.
Oh, I don't have any experience dealing with those companies. My Pixel and my friend's Mi A2 have worked without any tinkering. Both run stock Android, straight out of Google.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2018 at 10:08. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 10th December 2018, 10:09   #8
BHPian

Re: Mirror Link or native GPS navigation - what to choose

Quote:
The problem is that different Android devices have a different acting micro USB profiles. Needs a little playing around the USB profile at times to make it work. HONOR devices are particularly notorious here in my experience. But Apple devices work the first time, every time without any hassles.
It's the USB cable that causes this to happen, Android Auto needs cables that can transfer data at very high speeds and some cables are just not able to do that.
I purchased a Regor type-C cable and it didn't work with AA, so I am using my OnePlus dash charging cable to use AA and it works flawlessly.
Most USB cables provided in the box by the manufacturer support Android Auto, I guess Honor is an exception here.
You can Google which cables are supported for AA specifically and get one of those, it'll solve your trouble for good.

Last edited by francis_vaz : 10th December 2018 at 10:12.
Old 17th February 2019, 17:00   #9
BHPian

Re: Mirror Link or native GPS navigation?

You can also consider buying something like this : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Blua...46082e0eMdoazR

This is a screen which can be mounted on your dashboard, it has android OS pre-installed and also has camera which makes it a dash cam. However, I am not very sure about the camera quality.

I am also looking for a good navigation system which supports google maps/Android Auto. I own a Zest XT QDJ and though it has a touch screen infotainment system, it only supports maps provided by Mapmyindia. I want an additional screen like the above-mentioned product (so that I can maintain the stock look of the dash) but I am not sure about the quality.
Old 22nd July 2019, 08:32   #10
BHPian

Re: Mirror Link or native GPS navigation?

The default head unit in Innova crysta GX base model does not have Android auto or Apple carplay. It does have only mirror link. Can anyone share first and experience of using mirrorlink in Toyota Innova? Any issues or niggles? Or should I go for a separate navigation unit? I am unwilling to change the head unit just for this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks