Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2019, 18:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Installed - Apple CarPlay in BMW 3GT (F34) - How it Began

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

He was never interested in CarPlay as he does not use features like text to speech, dictation etc. that Siri does, and BMW iDrive does a fantastic job with managing phone calls. But when he learnt that Google Maps is going to be integrated into CarPlay, he wanted to do this.
Thanks for sharing graaja. I have no clue as to why BMW does not offer this as a standard, I have the same issue when using google maps, its just half screen!
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 19:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Thanks for sharing graaja. I have no clue as to why BMW does not offer this as a standard, I have the same issue when using google maps, its just half screen!
What is more irritating is that once they have started providing CarPlay in most of the cars today, why would they not enable it in cars in which it is not enabled, but the hardware supports.

About your problem of half screen CarPlay, the only way to get full screen is by using FSC coding. But at least you have it in your car straight out of factory, so you can still enjoy it. Also, split screen has its advantages too. You can keep the other half configured to display some useful stuff like trip computer.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 21:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
What is more irritating is that once they have started providing CarPlay in most of the cars today, why would they not enable it in cars in which it is not enabled, but the hardware supports.

About your problem of half screen CarPlay, the only way to get full screen is by using FSC coding. But at least you have it in your car straight out of factory, so you can still enjoy it. Also, split screen has its advantages too. You can keep the other half configured to display some useful stuff like trip computer.
Indeed, let me try to play around a bit. Being a lease car, not sure I can do much without impacting the standard codes.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 00:10   #19
BHPian

Re: Installed! Apple CarPlay in BMW 3GT (F34)

That's one seriously detailed post!
Thanks for taking the time out to putting this together.

BTW after hearing about the issues with the modified FSC codes on the new headunit firmware, I reached out to a professional coder for getting more details.

It seems that it is indeed possible to restore the original FSC codes , backup the original config for later usage if needed and then reapply modified FSC code to enable CarPlay

While it appears unlikely BMW ASC will upgrade the HU during a routine service (knowing them, it'll be a paid update )
But in case they do, there is still the option of going back to stock or re-enable CP
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 06:39   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
That's one seriously detailed post!
Thanks for taking the time out to putting this together.
It seems that it is indeed possible to restore the original FSC codes , backup the original config for later usage if needed and then reapply modified FSC code to enable CarPlay

While it appears unlikely BMW ASC will upgrade the HU during a routine service (knowing them, it'll be a paid update )

But in case they do, there is still the option of going back to stock or re-enable CP
Thank you for the kind words

Yes. It is very much possible to restore to the original state. That is what Gerry did for me before applying the fake FSC codes. In my case, he also told me that it is actually not required to restore to original state as BMW ISTA will not flag that one fake FSC certificate. But I still did it to be on the safer side.

As you mentioned, usually the software update is a paid service. Not sure why they did it for my car.

With all the inquiries I was making about CarPlay, maybe they decided to put 18-11 firmware and lock out the USB port in case I decided to get it done outside
Old 14th March 2019, 10:59   #21
BHPian

Thanks! A useful and convenient DIY. A neighbour I know has the 2012 320d. Will it be possible even on the 2012 models? Also what are the exact materials and costs involved? Will be very useful for him during his morning commute.
balderash_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 11:56   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
A neighbour I know has the 2012 320d. Will it be possible even on the 2012 models? Also what are the exact materials and costs involved? Will be very useful for him during his morning commute.
If it is a 2012 car, the iDrive would be mostly the CIC unit or best case the NBT unit. Apple CarPlay is only possible in NBT Evo ID5 or ID6.

So, it is not possible to install CarPlay in your neighbor's car without a hardware update.
Old 14th March 2019, 12:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
If it is a 2012 car, the iDrive would be mostly the CIC unit or best case the NBT unit. Apple CarPlay is only possible in NBT Evo ID5 or ID6.

So, it is not possible to install CarPlay in your neighbor's car without a hardware update.
Can you give a rough estimate as to how much would it cost? He is willing to pay.
But I have doubts over the dealerships capability of installing it properly. Will they do it properly without any interior damage?
Old 14th March 2019, 13:56   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you give a rough estimate as to how much would it cost? He is willing to pay.
But I have doubts over the dealerships capability of installing it properly. Will they do it properly without any interior damage?
I am not sure about the cost, but it could be more than 2L. With CIC to NBT Evo, there will be lots of parts and modifications required - like different wiring harnesses, different display bezel, additional coding to make the HU compatible with the car etc.

And BMW dealers would not do it. It has to be done as a DIY or by someone who specializes in these retrofits.

There are a few people who have done this. Refer the below thread.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1400457

It looks like there is a company Bimmer Retrofit that specializes in this type of work. They provide complete kits specific to a car and will also do remote coding. Below is the link to their product page for NBT Evo retrofit. Price is on request based on the VIN number.

https://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store...product_id=117

You could send them the VIN number and find out how much they quote.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 15:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about the cost, but it could be more than 2L. With CIC to NBT Evo, there will be lots of parts and modifications required - like different wiring harnesses, different display bezel, additional coding to make the HU compatible with the car etc.

And BMW dealers would not do it. It has to be done as a DIY or by someone who specializes in these retrofits.

There are a few people who have done this. Refer the below thread.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1400457

It looks like there is a company Bimmer Retrofit that specializes in this type of work. They provide complete kits specific to a car and will also do remote coding. Below is the link to their product page for NBT Evo retrofit. Price is on request based on the VIN number.

https://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store...product_id=117

You could send them the VIN number and find out how much they quote.
Thanks! Then there is a slim possibility of that happening He was ready to shell up to 20k or 35-40k max. But 2L is overkill! He preferred it to be done by the showroom itself so as to not lose warranty. I agree with his reasoning.
Old 14th March 2019, 16:49   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks! Then there is a slim possibility of that happening He was ready to shell up to 20k or 35-40k max. But 2L is overkill! He preferred it to be done by the showroom itself so as to not lose warranty. I agree with his reasoning.
Agreed. If he still has warranty, it is definitely not advisable to do such a major modification that involves lots of hardware change.
Old 14th March 2019, 21:28   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you tell me if your neighbor's car is E90 or F30? There may be cheaper alternatives, but I will need details like exact model, picture of the iDrive, VIN etc.

And you say his is a 2012 car. It should definitely be out of warranty. So why worry about warranty? Or is there something I am missing?
Old 14th March 2019, 22:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:

If warranty is an issue, it is better not to go ahead. Every modification has a risk associated with it. If one is not willing to take that calculated risk, it's better off not doing it. Just my 2 cents.
batterylow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 22:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting mod job Graaja. I must say your friend is a brave man - for me, tinkering with the software of an expensive German car is a strict no-no. But yes, I would be willing to pay ₹40-50 k to get Google Maps on my car.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 23:15   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Very interesting mod job Graaja. I must say your friend is a brave man - for me, tinkering with the software of an expensive German car is a strict no-no. But yes, I would be willing to pay ₹40-50 k to get Google Maps on my car.
Thank you Hayek. My friend is a brave soul indeed

From your ownership review, I see that your car most probably has the NBT Evo ID5. It is very much possible to enable CarPlay at less than $150 with the option to revert to OE state. From my experience with BMW, I am sure getting this done officially is a very remote possibility. Though the coder has confirmed many times that once the iDrive is reverted to OE state it will not be detected by the BMW servers, there still is that small risk.

But you can always do this close to the end of warranty and give a small facelift to the car.

Last edited by graaja : 14th March 2019 at 23:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks