Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th March 2019, 06:07   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Default Re: Installed! Apple CarPlay in BMW 3GT (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Can you tell me if your neighbor's car is E90 or F30? There may be cheaper alternatives, but I will need details like exact model, picture of the iDrive, VIN etc.

And you say his is a 2012 car. It should definitely be out of warranty. So why worry about warranty? Or is there something I am missing?
I do not know the exact details of the package. He knows a person in BMW who helps him with these things. I am not sure of the arrangement. He is happy with it. His is the F30 320d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thank you Hayek. My friend is a brave soul indeed

From your ownership review, I see that your car most probably has the NBT Evo ID5. It is very much possible to enable CarPlay at less than $150 with the option to revert to OE state. From my experience with BMW, I am sure getting this done officially is a very remote possibility. Though the coder has confirmed many times that once the iDrive is reverted to OE state it will not be detected by the BMW servers, there still is that small risk.

But you can always do this close to the end of warranty and give a small facelift to the car.
Definitely! But my neighbor does not intend to take the risk. He has decided to leave it for now till a less risky option has been found. I agree with him; if gone wrong, repairs will be eye-watering.
balderash_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2019, 06:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Installed! Apple CarPlay in BMW 3GT (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
Definitely! But my neighbor does not intend to take the risk. He has decided to leave it for now till a less risky option has been found. I agree with him; if gone wrong, repairs will be eye-watering.
Your neighbor's case is different from Hayek's case. Hayek has a NBT Evo ID5 in which enabling CarPlay is a small software tweak which is totally reversible. Your neighbor's car is a 2012 model with a CIC which needs complete hardware overhaul.

And your neighbor made a wise decision to leave it as it is
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote