Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2022, 21:26   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Installed! Apple CarPlay in BMW 3GT (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharat83 View Post
Thank you - I have written to BMW service team too and am awaiting their official quote (Few members had quoted ~35000+4000 (Antenna)).

Wanted to understand if I could take the unofficial route and possibly save some money (Mechanic Charges + Antenna (499) + Apple CarPlay vide easybimmer (4400)) or is that something that I shouldn’t even consider.
As I have mentioned in an earlier posts, after some firmware version, BMW locked out script execution through USB. If your car's firmware is later than this version, you will not be able to upgrade through USB port and your purchase ay be a waste. But it is also possible that the vendor has checked your firmware version and has told you it is possible only after confirming that USB script execution is not yet locked out in your car.

My suggestion is to get it done by BMW. I have heard of people getting their HU bricked while trying to install the hack through the USB port. If this happens, then you will have to take the help of some expert to reprogram the HU with the right firmware to make it work again. BMW will not support under this scenario.

If you are ready to take that small risk of bricking the HU, then it should be fine to get it done by Bimmercode or similar vendors.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 22:19   #47

Quote:
Though BMW could restore all the original FSC certificates, they usually do not do that under warranty clauses. So, their solution would be to ask you to pay for a new iDrive unit, which would cost a fortune.

But fear not. Read on…
[/indent]What happens if BMW does a software update and all functions in iDrive are locked out?
There is still a way to restore all operations without having to spend a fortune to get a new iDrive. This will be a little complex than the USB method. Now many third-party services have come up with solutions to enable CarPlay through the OBD port. You will need an ENet cable and an application from the third party which will re-install the patch and a new set of fake FSC codes through OBD port. You will have to spend a couple of hundred dollars, but this is far better than getting a new iDrive.
How do I put the car back to OE state in case of warranty concerns?
For this, the third-party coder you used should have taken a back up of your original FSC certificates before applying their fake FSC sets. And they should have an application which could restore the original FSC certificates. If they did not back up your original FSC codes, there is no way to restore your iDrive to OE state and most probably BMW would not honour warranty on the iDrive.
Some best practices to enable CarPlay, and after enabling CarPlay
  • Know the software version in your car. If you do not have access to E-Sys, you could ask your dealer to find the software version (also called I-Step version) or ask the third party coder if they can find it from the BMW server.
  • Do not rush into buying a solution from a service provider. Ask lots of questions and proceed only if they can answer all the questions.
  • Make sure the service provider backs up your existing FSC codes and has a way to restore the iDrive to OE state.
  • If you have enabled CarPlay already through USB port, make sure that they do not upgrade the software at the dealership.
Found the below solution to find the software version in a BMW forum - maybe this helps newbies like me who are trying to fiddle with their BMW’s features vide off market coding.

Steps to get your software version -

1. Plug pre formatted USB in the port under the armrest
2. Navigate to "My Vehicle" and select your profile
3. Select the Export to USB option
4. Insert the USB in your laptop (BMWDATA folder)
5. Navigate to the .mpd file, right-click on it and open the file with any Word processor like Notepad
6. Do a find on I - step - you will get your version

Also if in case you’ll are looking to add CPLAY, you would need WiFI antenna and to figure out if your car has WiFI antenna or not - get your 17 digit VIN (mine was under the Bonnet - F34), go to any reliable VIN decoder and under Multimedia check if you have 6CP (Carplay Preparations) or 6WD (WLAN hotspot), if yes, then you have the WiFI antenna.

OEM antenna is available for less than INR 3000 and clones are less than INR 1000.

BMW charges 35000 plus taxes for Carplay (without antenna and its allied labor) and off market coding is ~5000.

But it does have cons - risk of something going wrong if we miss on any of the steps as laid out in this topic + inadvertent software update by BMW thereon wiping any of the off market codes.

Last edited by moralfibre : 31st August 2022 at 22:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Sharat83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 00:07   #48
BHPian

I own 2018 X1 (F48). It has apple car play. Will I iPhone 14 will be compatible in this model?
Old 12th January 2023, 05:50   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
I own 2018 X1 (F48). It has apple car play. Will I iPhone 14 will be compatible in this model?
Yes. iPhone 14 will be compatible with CarPlay. You will have to setup the connection between the car and your phone.
Old 12th February 2023, 08:45   #50
BHPian

This thread is super informative. I recently picked up a 2018 GT, I wanted to know if BMW dealers still activate the CarPlay.
Old 12th February 2023, 10:26   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6_N54 View Post
This thread is super informative. I recently picked up a 2018 GT, I wanted to know if BMW dealers still activate the CarPlay.
I think they should still be activating CarPlay. Check with the dealer.
Old 15th February 2023, 07:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I think they should still be activating CarPlay. Check with the dealer.
Thank You, your F34 threads are very informative. I'am sure it will be helpful to many young buyers.
Straight6_N54 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks