Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2019, 07:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Google to roll out new Android Auto interface

Question: I have always wondered if there is an easier way to search and enter a destination when the phone goes into Android Auto mode. Many times I am in the back seat and I have to lean over all the way forward to use the touchscreen on the head unit to enter the destination. Is there an easier way to do this via the phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thinking of spending that extra Rs 99 pm. to subscribe to Google Music again, even though I have a prime membership.
I ended up getting Youtube Premium for 129. 30 bucks for all the extra features including a completely ad free experience seemed like a good deal.
Old 16th June 2019, 09:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaguar View Post
Question: I have always wondered if there is an easier way to search and enter a destination when the phone goes into Android Auto mode. Many times I am in the back seat and I have to lean over all the way forward to use the touchscreen on the head unit to enter the destination. Is there an easier way to do this via the phone?
There are at least two more ways to do this- one is voice command - activate it by either pressing the button or saying "Ok Google" and then say, "Navigate to <destination>". Second way of doing it is, to type in the phone while AA is still running. Yes, this is possible, if the car is put to "P" mode in an AT or Neutral gear in MT, (may be parking brake has to be activated also). Ask the driver to tap search button on the maps, and it will bring up keyboard both in the car screen as well as in the phone!

Quote:
I ended up getting Youtube Premium for 129. 30 bucks for all the extra features including a completely ad free experience seemed like a good deal.
I use ad free YouTube as well.
Old 16th June 2019, 10:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
There are at least two more ways to do this- one is voice command - activate it by either pressing the button or saying "Ok Google" and then say, "Navigate to <destination>". Second way of doing it is, to type in the phone while AA is still running. Yes, this is possible, if the car is put to "P" mode in an AT or Neutral gear in MT, (may be parking brake has to be activated also). Ask the driver to tap search button on the maps, and it will bring up keyboard both in the car screen as well as in the phone!

I use ad free YouTube as well.
Thanks for the input. Voice works when there isn't much ambient noise in the vehicle. Usually, there is either music playing or my son making enough noise that it becomes a pain.

I wasn't aware of the second option - will check it out.

I still can't fathom why Google won't allow for text entry into the maps app from the phone irrespective of whether the car is in motion or not. It's equally bad to be typing on the touchscreen of the HU while in motion (if safety is the reason for not enabling this ability).
Old 16th June 2019, 11:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still can't fathom why Google won't allow for text entry into the maps app from the phone irrespective of whether the car is in motion or not.
They do allow, only when the car is in P. That was what I was explaining above, sorry if it wasn't clear.
I always get the keyboard both on car's display and on my phone, when I tap on search box when the car is in P mode. I mostly use the phone's keyboard to directly key in to the maps running on AA.
Old 16th June 2019, 11:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
They do allow, only when the car is in P. That was what I was explaining above, sorry if it wasn't clear.
I always get the keyboard both on car's display and on my phone, when I tap on search box when the car is in P mode. I mostly use the phone's keyboard to directly key in to the maps running on AA.
Right, I got that earlier and I was wondering as to why they restrict this to only when the car is parked.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
For some weird reason, I find the audio quality of Amazon music to be better than Play music/Youtube Music. This was not the case a year back when i was using Play Music.
Old 17th June 2019, 12:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
For some weird reason, I find the audio quality of Amazon music to be better than Play music/Youtube Music. This was not the case a year back when i was using Play Music.
What were/are the quality settings you had in Google Play Music? I find Amazon music to be a tad bit lower in quality compared to Google Play Music. I guess they have better/optimum profiles for adaptive streaming than Amazon.

Since I have a 2GB per day 4G connection, I just set the streaming quality to highest.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th June 2019 at 14:13. Reason: typo
Old 30th July 2019, 07:57   #23
BHPian

Finally it is rolling out.

APK link : https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...-5928-release/

Source : https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...eal-this-time/
atulsian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Finally it is rolling out.
It works! Thanks a lot for sharing. I have been waiting for it since it was revealed a couple of months back.
Attached Thumbnails
Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-20190730_102955.jpg  

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-20190730_103102.jpg  

Auto freak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 11:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
It works! Thanks a lot for sharing. I have been waiting for it since it was revealed a couple of months back.
So, nothing changes in the phone interface? Will the updates/changes only be visible in the ICE? I just installed the apk on my phone, but it did not change the look and feel at all and I'm not near the car to check the ICE.
Old 30th July 2019, 12:24   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Super APKmirror link! Many thanks! My AA was anyway throwing up that dreaded Communication Error 8 but this update miraculously solved that also :-)

Too early to test it but will do so on way home.

Some pictures below:
Attached Thumbnails
Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-aa1.jpeg  

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-aa2.jpeg  

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-aa3.jpeg  

Old 30th July 2019, 13:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
So, nothing changes in the phone interface? Will the updates/changes only be visible in the ICE? I just installed the apk on my phone, but it did not change the look and feel at all and I'm not near the car to check the ICE.
Yeah! The changes are visible only when connected to the car.
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 16:49   #28
BHPian

Just got the official update.
Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-20190806_115216.jpg

Music starts automatically when plugged in. Hope Google sorts that.
Old 9th August 2019, 00:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Just got the official update.

Music starts automatically when plugged in. Hope Google sorts that.
From what I know, you can turn off that option, not to play Music automatically when AA starts.

Check the settings in AA app on your phone.
Old 27th August 2019, 08:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
From what I know, you can turn off that option, not to play Music automatically when AA starts.
That's correct.

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-screenshot_20190827083731.png

While the new interface is slick, I hate the fact that the directions and the new shortcut buttons (which rolled out a few days back) occupy a lot of space on the display. I wish it was a tad smaller.

Google to roll out new Android Auto interface-android_auto_5_google_maps.jpg
(Image courtesy - 9to5google)
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks