Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2007, 07:13   #1

help buying audio kit for aveo-uva

hello everyone,

i am looking for suggestions to kit our new aveo-uva with a decent HU & speakers. As it happens, I am in uk and have gifted this car back in india to my little sister. Its the first day today and I have already received multiple phone calls asking to suggest them with a decent audio kit for the car. As I do not have access to the market there, and my knowledge is very limited, I hope you all can provide a lot of help in selecting the right system for the car.

Budget: flexible. I think 15-18k should be decent enough?
HU: Good head unit, which can play MP3, WMA etc, with connectivity to IPOD (must). Probably Pioneer? No need for DVD's, video etc.

Speakers: 4, 2 front and 2 rear. We want quality and not loud voice, so dont think we require amps. I dont know if we require subs or tweeters, probably not. Reading on the forums, JBL looks a good choice? Boot space compromise is not an option.

Will prefer to buy without B&W, to save money. I dont want to land up with fake products though - this is a real concern as my sister will have no clue whether they are fake or not, and what price things should be, so any guidance on this is appreciated.
Kit to be purchased from Noida or Delhi.

Could someone please help this brother in suggesting a good kit for my little sis back home?

Thanks..
Old 2nd February 2007, 09:15   #2
BANNED

Hello and welcome to team-BHP. Nice to see a very helpful brother like you. Good job. Keep it up.

First things first.
Please read thru the sticky NAVINji has put up on the ICE section explaining different audio setups for different budgets.

I would suggest you to get a Pioneer 4950 HU (Head Unit). It has some nice features with decent upgradability. It also has Aux in which you can use for IPOD.
For speakers, you can get a pair of component speakers and a pair of 6X9 ovals for the rear.
Use the wires which comes with the speakers and need not spend money on it.
As you prefer JBL, try GTO 607 components and GTO 937 ovals. They'll fit in your budget and you can get a bill and warranty too. Remember to insist for the JBL india warranty card. Because SAM insists so!

The rear speakers can be mounted on the parcel shelf. Front speakers can be mounted on the door. Remember to keep the tweeters near to the base of A pillar facing the opposite seat headrests.

You haven't told us which city your sister is in India. Or we could've helped you find a good dealer and installer.

Hope this solves your problem.
Old 2nd February 2007, 09:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP, eo777777!

HU: Pio 5850(grey)/Blau Mumbai or Maui/Alpine (has one in the 8K-9K range, don't know model no., sorry)
Fronts: Hertz DSK165/JBL GTO607c/Alpine's entry level speakers are also good. (Go for 6"/6.5" components, Approx price 6K-7K).
Rears: Hertz DCX690/JBL GTO937. Or same series as the Alpine I mentioned above, if your sis buys Alpine. (These are 6x9" co-axials, 5K-6.5K)
Additional misc: 1K (in case some spacers etc are used, or a parcel tray is needed)

HERTZ makes great speakers (Dieci series, at your budget point), but I don't think they are available in the grey, and they are a pricier than the others at this range (entry/mid-level). JBL & Alpine should be available in the grey mkt.

The total at MRP (with B&W) will be just at 20K. If your sis goes for grey stuff, there should be a saving of about 3K-4K.

Your sis can save another 1K or so if she goes for co-axials in the front, and not components.

We do not recommend grey stuff though. And especially in the case of Pioneer and Alpine, fake stuff has about flooded the market.So your sister will need to be very careful.

If your sis wants to get grey stuff, I'd recommend getting a grey HU (Pio/Alpine) from a very trustworthy source (some Delhi BHPians will be able to help-out on this). The speakers (regardless of brand) are best bought with B&W, as this is where the fakes kind of proliferate.

If your sis can spend a couple of hours in a shop and listen to the various brands, she will be able to take a decision on what she likes best (sound-wise & budget-wise).

And iPod connectivity at this budget point is best done via aux-in, with an EP (Earphone pin) to RCA cable (MX is the preferred brand). iPod interfaces for either of the HUs will run to 3K to 6K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eo777777 View Post
Speakers: 4, 2 front and 2 rear. We want quality and not loud voice, so dont think we require amps. I dont know if we require subs or tweeters, probably not. Reading on the forums, JBL looks a good choice? Boot space compromise is not an option.
Not that your sister may need them, but amps do enhance the quality of the signal as well, more than just provide raw loudness. All speakers (that can handle the power) sound clearer, smoother and fuller when amped.

The front speakers suggested are component speakers, so they will come with tweeters as part of the component system.

JBL is a good choice.

If boot space is a priority, a sub is out anyway.

Do let us know what your sister gets installed in the Aveo. This is probaby the first UVA ICE query here.

EDIT: Looks like the Kochi guys got here first. Just saw Zak's reply after I made my post :-)

Last edited by hydrashok : 2nd February 2007 at 09:29.
Old 2nd February 2007, 12:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard! The first U-VA on Team-BHP fleet?!
Old 2nd February 2007, 23:17   #5

first of all thanks a lot for such detailed replies!

hydrashok - thanks for your suggestions. gives me something to start my research with. i would only go with grey if we can it from a trustworthy source

speedzak - preference gor JBL was based on my search on past threads as i saw the name mentioned a lot, otherwise i am open to suggestions. my sister is based in Noida (near delhi). it would be great if someone can recommend trustworthy sources and good dealers.

i have already asked my sis to send me a list of suggested models with prevailing prices, so i will keep you updated of my thinking - one thing which I have strictly told her is not to buy anything till it has been vouched by team-bhp!

i will be away for 2 days, so will catchup after that, meanwhile please keep the suggestions coming!
Old 7th February 2007, 04:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I would suggest you to get a Pioneer 4950 HU (Head Unit). It has some nice features with decent upgradability. It also has Aux in which you can use for IPOD.
For speakers, you can get a pair of component speakers and a pair of 6X9 ovals for the rear.
Use the wires which comes with the speakers and need not spend money on it.
As you prefer JBL, try GTO 607 components and GTO 937 ovals. They'll fit in your budget and you can get a bill and warranty too. Remember to insist for the JBL india warranty card. Because SAM insists so!
The config Zak mentioned is just perfect for you and will very well fit in your budget of 15K. Trust me the combination of Pio 4950 with JBL compos 607 and 937 will rock da Aveo.
With the Pio 4950 you will also need to get a ipod - aux adapter.

Cheers,
ICEMAN
Old 7th February 2007, 08:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eo777777 View Post
... my sister is based in Noida (near delhi). it would be great if someone can recommend trustworthy sources and good dealers.
eo, if your sister is in Delhi, maybe she can visit Driven. Driven is a member here at TBHP and he apparently does a great job with installs (we've seen lots of pics of his installs, and other members have availed of his services). He also has a pretty good range of brands with him. Driven is in Mayapuri (if I'm not mistaken). Maybe you can PM him and get his location info.
Old 9th February 2007, 16:32   #8
BHPian

guys... I got a quote of Rs 5300 for Pio 4950(grey) and Rs 3500 for JBL GTO 937 with B&W.
Should I go ahead and buy it ?
Old 9th February 2007, 18:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcy007 View Post
Rs 3500 for JBL GTO 937 with B&W.
Wooh, now there's a looow price. Go ahead, it's a rockstar price. Where is this price from?
Old 9th February 2007, 19:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Wooh, now there's a looow price. Go ahead, it's a rockstar price. Where is this price from?
Car Decor - Borivali(west). Near Bhagwati hospital.

Is there a way to find out whether the Pio HU is original or fake.
Old 9th February 2007, 19:48   #11
BANNED

Just keep your eyes open. Nothing much can be done regarding the bill or warranty etc due to it being grey. But normally fake HUs can be recognised easily by looking at the buttons and volume knob etc.

Go to another shop and ask for the same HU. If possible, go to couple a shops and check out the same HU. That'll give you an idea.

4950 for 5.3k is a good deal and 937 for 3.5k is a killer. Just make sure you insist on the genuine JBL india warranty card and get it stamped by the dealer too. Yes, Sam insists so.
Old 9th February 2007, 20:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
guys... I got a quote of Rs 5300 for Pio 4950(grey) and Rs 3500 for JBL GTO 937 with B&W.
Regarding the JBL GTO937.... I think your just being given an invoice bill and the shops "good faith" warranty. I doubt its an official/authorised manufacturer warranty.

Grey prices range from 2900-3300 with a value added option of no peace of mind
Old 10th February 2007, 00:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:

The price you got is indeed a stealer!!
I had my ICE done in 1st week feb and the prices were 5450 for Pio 4950 and 3800 for 937.
As Zak said, check out the HU with couple of dealers and get a feel of it. Its black (not silver/grey) in color n buttons feel easy when pressed.
For JBL speakers, look out for price tag on the box will have Sahil International printed. The box will include the warranty, have it stamped by the dealer with correct date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks