Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2019, 21:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz's gesture control developed in India

Earlier this year, Mercedes-Benz unveiled their MBUX infotainment system. According to a media report, the system will now get gesture controls, which have been developed by Mercedes-Benz Research & Development India (MBRDI).

Mercedes-Benz's gesture control developed in India-2018mercedessclassfl01.jpg

It is reported that all the work on the system, including conceptualisation to the production stage was done at the MBRDI facility in Bangalore. The new system is expected to debut with the 2019 editions of the GLE SUV and the CLA coupe. One of the reasons for the system being developed in India was the cost advantage compared to other locations.

Some of the features that could be operated using gesture control include highlighting of media when driver takes his hand near the infotainment, turning on passenger side lamps when hand is extended to retrieve something, puddle lamp control and a 'navigate me to home function' that will be trigger by holding the index and middle finger in a V-shape over the center console. The seat massage function can also be activated using a hand gesture.

A camera in the overhead console captures the movements and is capable enough to identify driver and passenger hands separately. An on-board hardware device using an optimised algorithm decodes the gestures. It is said that cloud computing could have caused delays in response time and hence it wasn't used. This system is expected to make its way to other cars in the brand's line-up at a later stage.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 08:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-Benz's gesture control developed in India

! Proud that it has been developed in India. That said, having used gesture controls in a couple of cars, I've found it to be useless, confusing & distracting. For some commands, one has to try too hard. Give me plain old button controls any which day.

Maybe Mercedes knows this too, but it has to match its competitors in "party tricks".
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 08:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-Benz's gesture control developed in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
:having used gesture controls in a couple of cars, I've found it to be useless, confusing & distracting.
Maybe Mercedes knows this too, but it has to match its competitors in "party tricks".
Well, I don’t like the voice commands but gestures, these actually work and many a times, I keep on doing the same on some of the other cars that are not equipped

Once you get used to, some of the things like changing volume or tracks or even accepting/ rejecting phone calls by hand/ finger gestures works well. What MB is trying to do is a step further by trying to predict users intentions, hopefully it will work better saying loud - Hey BMW or whatever

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th June 2019 at 08:43.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks