Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2019, 13:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sorry Kanasu I was travelling. Vid6639 Whatsapped me today to look at this thread urgently so here I am.

First: When you have a problem go back to basics. Forget the amplifier and subwoofer for now. On your HU turn off all EQ, HPF, LPF, etc. Connect the 4 speakers to your HU via the speaker output terminals. Is the sound clear? The clips you have posted sound badly EQed where it is all bass and the middle is suppressed. Do NOT EQ the music. Use a known music source that is well recorded and contains information across the audio range. Try and use simple acoustic music that has well presented vocals. American folk music or acapella is well suited for this.

Second: Once you do this and are satisfied with the non-amplified sound add any 4 channel amplifier with no HPF or LPF on. Do NOT use the SONY. Check the sound with the HU and a 4 channel amplifier.

Third: Once you are satisfied with this then add your subwoofer and Sony in 6 channel mode. I believe you are already familiar with the thread discussing this Sony DSP Amplifier.

Your setting should be "LPF, BPF and HPF ON 6 Channel Mode without any Time Alignment. Front channel (1-2) is used for tweeter, Rear Channel (3-4) is used for Midrange and Subwoofer channel (5-6) is used in stereo mode for woofer."
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...version-7.html (Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version))

thank you Navin

will surely get the first point checked, that you have mentioned and then will follow the rest...

my only confusion is the same current setup (Amps, Speakers & SW) were working amazing well on another Pioneer HU with all the EQs, Crossovers turned on... post this I have gone to new Pioneer 9190 HU & went again to Maruti stock HU and back to 9190 again, so all three instances have the same current issue

Quote:

First: When you have a problem go back to basics. Forget the amplifier and subwoofer for now. On your HU turn off all EQ, HPF, LPF, etc. Connect the 4 speakers to your HU via the speaker output terminals. Is the sound clear? The clips you have posted sound badly EQed where it is all bass and the middle is suppressed. Do NOT EQ the music. Use a known music source that is well recorded and contains information across the audio range. Try and use simple acoustic music that has well presented vocals. American folk music or acapella is well suited for this.

ok, so as per above suggestion, got the below changes done

1. Removed the Sony Amplifier from the current setup
2. Sub Woofer has been disconnected
3. Speakers (front & rear) are now directly connected to the Head unit
4. On the HU, crossovers for front & rear speakers are off, Time Alignment is off, EQ is set to flat.

so current setup is Morel speakers (front components & rear coaxial) with Pioneer 9190BT HU.

Guess what !! the issue remains the same I can still hear the empty vessel type sound.

Also I do not hear any major audio output difference with & without Amp, it feels same to me, which also means the Amp & Sub had not impact to the previous setup

what should the be the next troubleshooting steps ? :(

Note - Installer again says, polarity checks are correct

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th July 2019 at 17:57. Reason: back to back posts merged. Not your mistake though.
Old 11th July 2019, 19:28   #17
BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade gone completely wrong - A frustrating experience! Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
Note - Installer again says, polarity checks are correct.
Looks like you have an issue with the head unit, but I would try this to be certain.

1. Disconnect the rears and play only the front and check for the hollow sound

2. Disconnect the fronts and only play the rears. Check as in above

3. Connect any old speakers and check.

If hollow sound with all of the above, then you have a faulty head unit.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th July 2019 at 19:49. Reason: Please avoid quoting large posts. Thanks!
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 19:45   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
If hollow sound with all of the above, then you have a faulty head unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanasu View Post
what should the be the next troubleshooting steps ? :(
If all the settings are flat you have either a problem head unit or the source (the music you are playing) is at fault.

Kanasu, when you have any problem it is best to strip it down to bare minimum and build one step at a time once that bare minimum is sorted. I feel sorry that you spent all that money are still stuck without good sound.

But we will solve this, albeit slowly. You need to have some patience.
navin is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 22:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
If all the settings are flat you have either a problem head unit or the source (the music you are playing) is at fault.

But we will solve this, albeit slowly. You need to have some patience.

regarding the Head unit being faulty, I had gone back to my Maruti factory HU post installing 9190BT and even the factory HU gave same out put

one option I can try now is, a friend of mine has a Pioneer 5090BT HU installed in his car, I can swap that for couple of hours and check if it makes any difference so that we can eliminate the HU issue.

and yes, as you said, I have decided to go slow with tons of patience, I am happy that we are moving in a right direction towards a solution

thanks to everyone here in TBHP who have shared their inputs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Looks like you have an issue with the head unit, but I would try this to be certain.

1. Disconnect the rears and play only the front and check for the hollow sound

2. Disconnect the fronts and only play the rears. Check as in above
yes I have actually not tried this, all these days I had disconnected only SW and checked but haven’t tried disconnecting either front or rear speakers, will give it a try

Quote:
3. Connect any old speakers and check.
couple of days back I had installed the factory stock speakers at rear and even they had same issue
Kanasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 11:16   #20
BHPian

Like Navinsir said go back to bare minimum basics and start from there. With each step and addition you will be able to pin point the issue and where exactly it is taking place from.

Such things require a tonne of patience and its best to start with a calm mind and with the whole objective to learn what actually is causing the issue.

Strip down the system to bare bones and start from there, trust me you will eventually identify.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 11:57   #21
BHPian

I would request you to kindly share the audio file wrt the issue you are facing. I have faced n no. of such issues in my varied cars over these years wrt ICE. Sometimes the culprit has been the wiring and many times the culprit is the way wiring has been done.

Additionally, the only way to go ahead is to get a person who has all the time in a day for you, who has no other customers to attend to, has requisite skills and most importantly is having a smile on his face while doing all this.

I have been through the same frustration many a times, trust me, a new start with a new person (technician) is all you need. Take out time and once it starts, you will know that things re on track. All the best, awaiting the progress.
NST440 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 13:57   #22
BHPian

Feeling sad for what you are going through. Hope you will find the solution soon. All that you need is a good technician who has time.

A couple of years ago, When I had my Santro, I have done the Audio upgrade and after a couple of months, it started giving similar issue as yours. There is always a 'zzzz..' noise and even I used to hear some more 'zzzz..' sound whenever I pressed the horn. The issue turned out to be a faulty wire and a lousy connection from the battery (this was what the installer told me). After which the issue was resolved and never came back.
vijayshouree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 14:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
Feeling sad for what you are going through. Hope you will find the solution soon. All that you need is a good technician who has time.

A couple of years ago, When I had my Santro, I have done the Audio upgrade and after a couple of months, it started giving similar issue as yours. There is always a 'zzzz..' noise and even I used to hear some more 'zzzz..' sound whenever I pressed the horn. The issue turned out to be a faulty wire and a lousy connection from the battery (this was what the installer told me). After which the issue was resolved and never came back.
Had the same issue. I could hear engine whine and crackling from time to time. Changed wiring(battery tu amp) and polarity. That fixed both crackling and engine/horn noise.
Old 12th July 2019, 15:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Do a factor reset on your HU or get all sound effects HU effects to zero or off/disabled. Play a Radio station and then listen to the speakers? Is the problem still there?

Are the speaker wires installed correctly? (positive and negative terminals) on the HU?
Old 12th July 2019, 15:39   #25
BHPian

Try changing the RCA cables. If that doesn't work, try running the audio through a different amp. Hope this solves your problems.
Old 12th July 2019, 16:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Do a factor reset on your HU or get all sound effects HU effects to zero or off/disabled. Play a Radio station and then listen to the speakers? Is the problem still there?

Are the speaker wires installed correctly? (positive and negative terminals) on the HU?
I would suggest playing a high quality FLAC file instead, the radio signals are mono which wouldnt be a right indicators .
Old 12th July 2019, 17:07   #27
BHPian

The audio clip sounds like the ATT(Attenuate) button has been pressed.Maybe that signalling wire from the harness got damaged while making all the head unit swaps and is now continually engaged.
My assumption is the audio wiring harness is not allowing the right signal to reach the amp so it is sounding muddy.

Last edited by BeingHuman : 12th July 2019 at 17:14. Reason: added additional info
Old 13th July 2019, 00:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
I would request you to kindly share the audio file wrt the issue you are facing. I have faced n no. of such issues in my varied cars over these years wrt ICE. Sometimes the culprit has been the wiring and many times the culprit is the way wiring has been done.
Here are few more clips which I have recorded today, the annoying sound which I am speaking about is captured only upto 50% on these clips and gives a impression that is it badly EQedm, but it is not

Recorded Clips.zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Additionally, the only way to go ahead is to get a person who has all the time in a day for you, who has no other customers to attend to, has requisite skills and most importantly is having a smile on his face while doing all this.
from what I have observed, these so called Audio installers DO NOT have the patience to sort out such issues, once you leave their shop you are not welcomed again with a smile especially if such issues occur, most of them dont even know the basics to be frank, I have visited 4-5 installers & they all have tried the same stuff, change EQ settings, change crossover settings or Amp level tuning which makes no difference the issue I am facing.

Luckily few people in TBHP have offered to help me out since they have the DIY experience, unfortunately all these people are not based out of Bangalore & so need to plan it out and go meet them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Yes, reset has been done twice and all the sound settings are off as mentioned in my previous post.

Below are the audio sources I have tried

Spotify music streaming (High quality) on Android Auto
Apple Music (high quality) on Apple Car Play
USB Drive stored music (most of the songs are 320kbps mp3)
USB Drive stored music (Flac files)
Bluetooth Streaming from Phones
FM Radio

all the above music sources have the same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Try changing the RCA cables. If that doesn't work, try running the audio through a different amp. Hope this solves your problems.
done already, high quality RCA wires are installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
The audio clip sounds like the ATT(Attenuate) button has been pressed.Maybe that signalling wire from the harness got damaged while making all the head unit swaps and is now continually engaged.
My assumption is the audio wiring harness is not allowing the right signal to reach the amp so it is sounding muddy.
This is interesting, and could also be the possible issue since 3-4 times HU have been swapped and removed.
which wiring harness are yo speaking about, would you be able to help me with a picture please
Kanasu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 00:38   #29
BHPian

There is a molex connector that goes to the back of the head unit. You need to make sure all wires are held in place firmly and also there are no cuts anywhere. Some times one of the wires may come loose if pushed incorrectly or at an angle. Probably a technical workshop manual for the Brezza should help you identify the wire more easily, if you have access to one.

Also these videos might be helpful to diagnose.

Last edited by BeingHuman : 13th July 2019 at 01:02. Reason: Post fixed. Typos, spacing.
BeingHuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 02:08   #30

Where is the ground cable attached from the amp to the car body frame? It could be a grounding issue. From my experience having done several ICE upgrades, this is most probably a wiring issue.
NitroSRT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed