Team-BHP - ICE upgrade gone completely wrong - A frustrating experience! Need help
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   ICE upgrade gone completely wrong - A frustrating experience! Need help (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/210812-ice-upgrade-gone-completely-wrong-frustrating-experience-need-help-3.html)

As discussed by being human, I too believe that the wiring harness to the HU might be damaged. As you have mentioned that it started just after you changed the head unit for the second time. Also, as you mentioned, there is problem even if you disconnect the amplifier and drive the speakers directly at flat settings.

I was facing almost the same issue,
And also some whisteling sound when accelerating.

Read whatever is there to know about these ICE and did a DIY problem solving.

Installers would never identify since they only know a few basic things.

High gains at amp level, due to a shot rca cable was culprit for whistling sound.
And shaky ground wire install was the reason for the boominess.

May your problem get solved soon... Really hoping ��

Logical summary

- Stock HU + Stock speakers = no issue
- Stock HU + Morel speakers + Sony Amp = low gain but no distortion
- Preowned Pioneer HU + Morel + Sony Amp = Good, lasted a day and never recovered
- changed HU, wiring, adusted all possible settings, no recovery

If we go by logic, the preowned Pioneer HU which also had display niggles gave up and screwed something in the process. since you have changed almost everything the only suspect left are speakers. I guess you knew this already but need double assurance before changing speakers.

Suggestions:
go back to stock HU + stock speakers and see if everything is fine
now go step by step add amp and subwoofer, tune cross overs etc.,
if you are wary of screwing the stock speakers, source some used speakers from secondhand market as test mules. Just retain what works and sell of everthying else to recover at least some of the money.

Tips:
Humming sound is usually due to problems with crossovers
Low gain could be due to problem with polarity
Whisteling sound is usually due to interference. RCA or Aux cables are picking up noise from surrounding wires. To reduce this you may need to reroute the wires and avoid adjacency to power cable as much as possible.

I understand your frustration, the stock audio of Brezza is just about average way distant from audio lover's expectations. I wish you all the best. Do update if you found the solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold (Post 4620431)
High gains at amp level, due to a shot rca cable was culprit for whistling sound.
And shaky ground wire install was the reason for the boominess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitroSRT (Post 4620143)
Where is the ground cable attached from the amp to the car body frame? It could be a grounding issue. From my experience having done several ICE upgrades, this is most probably a wiring issue.

I have no clue where the groud cable is attached to :( will have to get it checked, I am a complete noob in this ICE setups & it was my mistake not to make a note all those aspects during the installation.

Yes even now I am 90% sure my current issue is related to wiring going by all the discussions here and going by all the checks that have been done once the issue started

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermodynamics (Post 4620563)
Whisteling sound is usually due to interference. RCA or Aux cables are picking up noise from surrounding wires. To reduce this you may need to reroute the wires and avoid adjacency to power cable as much as possible.

from what I know, my current setup has all the wiring coming from left side door panels which is possibly causing all the interferences.

@Kanasu; Navin is a pro when it comes to ICE setups. As per his advice, go back to basics.

Also, check the system with some other audio track [maybe a simpler one] to understand if the system is OK.

Please note that the more complex the audio, one needs higher resolution Head Units to decode the music coupled with better quality speakers to reproduce the exact sound!!

Check the earthing of the HU as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by headers (Post 4620813)
@Kanasu; Navin is a pro when it comes to ICE setups.

Sir I am not a professional in ICE or anything related to audio. I am just old so have the good fortune of more years of experience. Perhaps due to my age, I have almost no understanding of the newer technologies like Bluetooth and Wifi and Android. I still live in an analog world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanasu (Post 4620598)
I am a complete noob in this ICE setups & it was my mistake not to make a note all those aspects during the installation.

Forget the past. You now have with you all the components to produce a good sounding car audio system. All you need to do is have a little patience and start slow.

I believe you have 3 HUs with you right now. The OEM HU, a used HU and a new HU. Is this right?

Step 1: Stock HU + 4 speakers

Step 2: Stock HU + 4 channel amp (not the Sony) + 4 speakers - you might need speaker level to low level converters if the amp you are using does not have speaker level inputs

Step 3: New Pioneer HU + 4 channel amp (not Sony) + 4 speakers - the new HU will have RCA out for 4 speakers so you will NOT need to use any converters for this set up.

Step 4: New Pioneer HU + Sony (in 6 ch. mode) + subwoofer + 4 speakers - as described in the Sony manual.

For each stage ensure that the power wires and RCA wires do NOT run parallel to each other. They can cross each other at right angles but they should not run parallel to each other.

All the best.

I had the same problem after installing a new setup.

The problem was with the insulation of the wiring, though the harness was new. It had some micro cracks, which picked up electro magnetic waves from the cars electronics.

A new wiring harness solved the problem.

Try with a new harness or connect one component at a time to isolate the problem.

Steps to isolate the problem.

Connect only the hu, listen to the music with a headphone. If there is no problem. You can assume hu and hu wiring perfect.

Next connect one speaker at a time. And see if everything is ok

Hi - no expert but from experience can I ask for a very simple test pls? While playing music just open windows and doors and see if there is any change ? It will help isolate the problem- if there is difference then it is acoustic (physics) in nature. Otherwise it's electronics, if electronics it may be useful to examine the crossovers, from my speaker building experience ( mostly home) a burnt resistor or a shorted capacitor can cause funny issues and it takes a lot of time to identify. Some times it can even be a dry solder joint that could have been caused by over heating. If your cross over is a fully moulded type one just try with a new cross over. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 4620998)
I believe you have 3 HUs with you right now. The OEM HU, a used HU and a new HU. Is this right?

No, I have my stock Maruti HU & Pioneer 9190BT HU, the other Pioneer HU I returned it when I bought 9190.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 4620998)
Step 1: Stock HU + 4 speakers

For each stage ensure that the power wires and RCA wires do NOT run parallel to each other. They can cross each other at right angles but they should not run parallel to each other.

All the best.

When you say speakers, I am guessing you are talking about the Morels that are currently installed or is it the Maruti factory speakers ?

Also from what I remember the RCAs & the Power wires are running parallel to each other, will get that verified.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T1000 (Post 4621613)

Steps to isolate the problem.

Connect only the hu, listen to the music with a headphone. If there is no problem. You can assume hu and hu wiring perfect.

Next connect one speaker at a time. And see if everything is ok

will give the headphone option a try, noted
Also where can I get a new Wiring harness for Pioneer ? I mean the original one, the Pioneer service center has no clue, I tried calling them yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbu567 (Post 4621880)
Hi - no expert but from experience can I ask for a very simple test pls? While playing music just open windows and doors and see if there is any change ?

makes no difference if the windows are up or down, or even if the doors are open, its the same issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanasu (Post 4622076)

will give the headphone option a try, noted
Also where can I get a new Wiring harness for Pioneer ? I mean the original one, the Pioneer service center has no clue, I tried calling them yesterday..

I don't think you need a original one.

In my case, the harness kit costed 2500.
The mechanic just replaced the same with a new set.

I dont suggest you spend anything more unless you find the root cause of the issue. Better strip to the bare minimum and troubleshoot from basics. Since you are not able to solve the issue till now, we can check it out if you are near Whitefield area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkannan (Post 4616114)
Please clarify the following

2. Does it exist when you listen to music without switching on the engine
3. Does the noise exist even when you are not playing any music with the entire audio system switched on (engine on)

Regards
Kannan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanasu (Post 4616931)
NO is the answer to all the above questions..

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the issue. As I understand from your reply to TBHPian gkannan, the noise doesn’t appear with ‘engine off’ and listening to music. And same is the case with ‘engine on’ and ‘no music’.

May be I am getting it wrong or I have skipped a connected post, but from the former condition it appears everything is Ok when you listen to music with engine off. If that be the case your speakers and system appear to be serviceable. May be you should check it with a different power source. Sorry if I missed something related to this.

Take a stereo 3.5 mm ep jack to rca cable and go directly from your phone to the front speaker channel inputs on the amp.

Hook up just one of the 2 RCA plugs into the amp to begin with so that just the left or right front channel is working. Sub and rear obviously wont work. Set amp filters to flat. If its playing fine , plug in the second rca too.

If that goes well too, repeat for rear channels. And then finally all 4 channels either using a y adaptor or some amps have a switch that allows the input to be sent to all 4 channels.

Report back your findings. Good luck.

Hey Guys ,

Sorry I couldn’t post any updates or progress on this issue in the last 2-3 weeks since I was stuck with personal work.

Ok, two weeks back I went back to my first installer and asked him to completely remove the current setup and go back to stock setup (Maruti provided Infotainment HU & stock speakers) so that I can start from scratch, hence the below devices were removed from the car

1). Sony Amplifier
2). Amp Wiring
3). RCA Cables
4). JL Sub Woofer
5). Speaker wiring

Apart from the above I had earlier removed the Pioneer 9190BT HU & its wiring kit.

Note - Damping sheets are intact & not removed.

Inspite of doing all this and moving back to stock, the issue is not resolved.
but when compared to earlier, the empty vessel type annoying sound has reduced by 50% but I can for sure confirm that issue still remains the same

I am suspecting the annoying sound might have reduced may be because the Amp is not connected or the Pioneer HU is not connected.

few more aspects which I have observed after moving back to complete stock setup

1). The vocals (highs) are very bright now & uncomfortable to listen to some of the songs, which was not the case earlier with the same stock setup

2). Randomly there is distortion or high vibration from doors with few music files when playing loud (20-22 volume) again not the case earlier.

3). Distortion or Vibration is more with voice commands responses (Google Assistant or Siri)

I am now stuck & completely confused and this now looks like a dead end.

Few TBHP members who are not based out of Bangalore have offered to help me out, and I am now patiently waiting for that day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanasu (Post 4637344)
I am now stuck & completely confused and this now looks like a dead end.

As a last resort, try changing the "Balance" (Left-Right) and Fader (Front-Rear) to isolate the sound to each individual speaker location. By playing only one speaker at a time, check each individual speaker for the problem that you've mentioned. It may help to identify the problematic zone.