Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 15:30   #76
BHPian

Re: Are the newly evolving In car entertainment products such as Hypersonic etc. good enough?

These android HUs actually fake the ram, android version and other specification numbers so that itself shows the trust you can place on them. The audio quality is also poor compared to the ones from Pioneer etc. Now that Pioneer/Sony etc have also started selling android and capacitive touch based HUs its better to go for them as they will last your cars lifetime generally. For a casual user with a 20-30k budget for car audio they are fine but if you are a audiophile its better to stick to the trusted brands.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 17:42   #77
BHPian

Re: Are the newly evolving In car entertainment products such as Hypersonic etc. good enough?

Couple of threads related to this topic which are quite active :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...fications.html (Is your Android Head-Unit faking its hardware specifications?)

&

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ing-guide.html (The Android Head-Unit buying guide)
Old 14th March 2021, 00:19   #78
BHPian

Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Hey Everyone, I'm currently on the lookout for a replacement HU for my 2019 EcoSport. I have the FlyAudio system (with inbuilt GPS, USB ports, steering controls, reverse camera+sensors -> Stuff I want to retain) and was using it with Carlinkit for Apple Carplay.

My Carlinkit died during a firmware upgrade, and with restrictions on AliExpress, getting a replacement seems unlikely without paying an unholy amount of money. I decided to take a chance on a Android based head unit for a more fully featured setup.

I contacted a few vendors and currently came down to two units

1. Foxfire FF401 -> Newer Android 10 based unit, Octa Core, 4GB/64GB, DSP chip, 4G SIM. Native Apple Carplay (no Android Auto) through something called zLink.

2. Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 -> Older HU with Android 9/8.1 (fake/real), quad core 1.3Ghz with 2GB/16GB. No native Carplay/Android Auto, would need Carlinkit again.

The Foxfire has a few things going for it:
Much faster CPU and more RAM
DSP Chip -> Should translate to better output, although I am not upgrading my speaker setup
Apple Carplay -> both wired and wireless
4G LTE support
360 degree camera support -> Not planning to use

The Blaupunkt has its own pros:
Potentially better after sales (2 year warranty)
Significantly cheaper
Better looking UI (*unsure how the Foxfire unit looks like)

I wanted to check if anyone has experience with the newer Android 10 based Chinese HUs (I see Foxfire and Woodman have launched their models).
I am aware of Android HUs faking their specs and all the caveats that come along with it, but based on my research, looks like models with 4GB or 6GB RAM seem to be mostly legit.

My Thoughts and Queries:
I'm seriously confused if the price premium (40k for Foxfire, estimated 22k all-in for Blaupunkt) is worth it for 4G, CarPlay, faster CPU+RAM.

I intend to keep my car for at least the next 3-5 years, so after sales stories of both Blaupunkt and Foxfire could be useful for making a decision as well.

Additionally, I wanted to check if someone has experience with such products in EcoSport, in terms of integration with native USB ports, steering controls, parking sensors+camera etc.

Last edited by ts1506 : 14th March 2021 at 00:22.
ts1506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 09:01   #79
BHPian

The Foxfire units looks as good as Blaupunkt Key Largo unit. The sound output from KL970 is pretty good and the supposed in built DSP is not worth the premium unless you are a audiophile. The Volte support even which can be sorted out by a dedicated wifi dongle. The real advantage I see are the 4GB RAM and the 360 degree camera integration capability. On the flip side, do I trust a brand which fakes it's real capability when selling it through the retail distribution chain or a known brand like Blaupunkt with its good service dealership. For all practical purposes, I find KL970 pretty good and my only potential worry is how does 2GB RAM work with the next android version. Considering that you will be using it for maps, video and audio, a 2GB RAM would suffice for me considering the 16k premium.

With ecosport, i would ask people to avoid adding things like 360 camera after seeing some harrowing experience with a ECU mess up during audio install at a reputed installer.
Sridhar K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 10:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
These android HUs actually fake the ram, android version and other specification numbers so that itself shows the trust you can place on them.
I think only Pioneer has a pure Android HU which is the detachable Tab type of model. I am not aware of any Android HUs from Sony - can you share some specific details wrt Sony Android HU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
I intend to keep my car for at least the next 3-5 years, so after sales stories of both Blaupunkt and Foxfire could be useful for making a decision as well.
I cannot help you specifically w.r.t. to Ecosport but in general the 4GB/64GB Foxfire models are reliable in terms of the RAM/CPU quoted - they match what is quoted. On the Android version being v10, please tread cautiously and check for the API version (detailed video also enclosed below on how to validate). I personally own the Foxfire 2GB/32GB, while its performance is decent, the 4GB-64GB provides an even more fluid experience with minimal lag. On my 2GB-32GB model also, I can easily multi-task between Google Maps and Amazon Music without any audio stutter or issue.

I have two detailed dedicated threads where I have posted on the Foxfire 4GB/64 GB units for the Ciaz and Jeep Compass as below:

1. (Unbranded - Journey from Blaupunkt to an Android Head-Unit in a Ciaz)

2. (Operation Jeep Compass : Foxfire Android Head-Unit with a 360-degree camera)

Also do go thru this video on Precautions to take while buying Android Head Units:

The Blaupunkt Keylargo is no different from the Foxfire ones and are made by a common Chinese manufacturer with just a Brand Sticker on top. Refer this link for more info: Key Largo - Reality Check

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 14th March 2021 at 11:01.
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 22:54   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
For all practical purposes, I find KL970 pretty good and my only potential worry is how does 2GB RAM work with the next android version. Considering that you will be using it for maps, video and audio, a 2GB RAM would suffice for me considering the 16k premium.
For now, the major advantage of the Foxfire is the better performance and inbuilt CarPlay.

I'm planning to go take a few rounds at the local shops, and see what kind of pricing they are quoting for the Blaupunkt. I am also interested to see the unit in action, as a lot of online reviews are not particularly a fan of its performance.

Blaupunkt themselves do not advertise any specific compatibility with existing car features (including USB ports, GPS antenna, CANBUS etc), so I need to get those bits clarified from local shops as well.

Quote:
With ecosport, i would ask people to avoid adding things like 360 camera after seeing some harrowing experience with a ECU mess up during audio install at a reputed installer.
Yep, not planning to go forward with 360 degree camera at this time. For a sub 4m car, it is also highly unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
in general the 4GB/64GB Foxfire models are reliable in terms of the RAM/CPU quoted - they match what is quoted. On the Android version being v10, please tread cautiously and check for the API version

The Blaupunkt Keylargo is no different from the Foxfire ones and are made by a common Chinese manufacturer with just a Brand Sticker on top.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm aware that the Blaupunkt unit is merely a rebrand from the same chinese OEM, but potentially after-sales support in case of warranty claims might be better.

As for the Android OS and other mismatches, I'm expecting to atleast have 1 item wrongly represented It does not really change the experience much, as long as the rest of the stuff works fine.

The presence of wired/wireless CarPlay on the new Foxfire, without any dongle seems to be alluring though. From some research, the zLink app is compatible with certain SoC only. The following two SoCs are octa core, and the most likely being used here:
Rockchip PX5/RK3368 - 8 core Cortex A53 + PowerVR G6110

The only other 8 core supported SOC is a far older chipset, more common in Android 6.0 and 7.1 based units.
Allwinner T8 - 8 core Cortex A7 + PowerVR SGX544

Rockchip PX5 (and the newer PX6) on the other hand seem to support Android 10 (going by Aliexpress listings - multiple models available)

Last edited by ts1506 : 14th March 2021 at 23:10.
ts1506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 23:16   #82
BHPian

From a very recent install on my friends Amaze
1. GPS Unit- used Blaupunkt unit which comes as part of the package
2. Camera - stock was used albeit with an adaptor (additional cost)
3. USB ports - 2 ports in the cars glove box but understand that there is an adaptar available for linking the stock USB to Blaupunkt. Will confirm by this Saturday as I will be installing Key Largo on my new ignis.
4. MIC- Blaupunkt Mike to replace stock mike
5. No Canbus support available
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 08:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the Android OS and other mismatches, I'm expecting to atleast have 1 item wrongly represented It does not really change the experience much, as long as the rest of the stuff works fine.
The Android version can be your negotiation lever - when you purchase ensure you inform the Seller that if the Android version is detected to be fake he needs to refund you 2-3 K for fake advertising.

Also, do note that Foxfire Seller does provide discounting for group/bulk purchases - so if you can somehow find at least one more person interested then you can expect some discounts on the price quoted to you.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 22:23   #84
BHPian

Thanks everyone for answering my queries. I decided not to splurge on the 4/6GB models and instead got a 2GB/16GB model from Brazo (10.1 inch, Allwinner T3 - Quad Core A7 1.2GHZ). I tested out the systems and was okay with the offering.

The options were all from local brands and Blaupunkt. Only Brazo and Blaupunkt have legit 2GB RAM (confirmed with Device Info and CPUZ), while other ones were fake 2GB (real 1GB).

As for OS, Brazo claimed Android 10, Blaupunkt claimed 9, both are fake and utilise real 8.1.

For my EcoSport, here’s what works:
1. Native USB Ports - Destructive method, hotglued new USB to the native cluster, looks and feels great like factory finish
2. GPS - Parked inside the dashboard, not exposed, similar to how the factory one was
3. Steering Controls - No special comments about this
4. Camera - Needed a wiretap into the reversing light for the OEM camera. No cutting of wires.

Here’s what extra was needed:
1. Custom Frame
2. External Mic just above the IRVM - I have my Dashcam around the same spot
3. Coupler Harness
4. Canbus - This exposes a few stuff like ACC in the android system, FlyAudio didn’t show this.

Overall performance is pretty good, except for Maps, which is a bit sluggish, especially during first loading. The price of this system, plus all needed accessories and fitment is only about 1/3rd of the 4GB Foxfire I was looking at.
Sound quality is at par with the old FlyAudio system. All EQ, Fader, Loudness etc features working as expected.

It was also a solid 30% cheaper than the same specced Blaupunkt. Blaupunkt’s UI is definitely better sorted, but not worth that much of a premium.

Overall, I’m very happy with how the install looks, no exposed bits, perfect frame install.

Extras:
Bought Headunit Reloaded for Rs 430. Works perfectly, although personally I use iOS.

Issues:
1. After hanging up a phone call, the music volume seems to go lower by almost 3-4 points, although the volume level is set correctly. Need to investigate more, but seems easily reproducible.
2. Call Logs doesn’t seem to sync from iOS. Contacts sync fine.

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-a2f8a49caabb4e9d9f2bbf30a38038e0.jpeg

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-62da30b50649437d9ad6cc7455f3ca59.jpeg
ts1506 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 19:45   #85
BANNED

Quote:
1. Native USB Ports - Destructive method, hotglued new USB to the native cluster, looks and feels great like factory finish
A little more info on this

What is aCC when it comes to a head unit?

Also, can you share link from where you bought the droid head unit?

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2021 at 17:31. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 20th March 2021, 16:06   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Kumara View Post
A little more info on this

What is aCC when it comes to a head unit?

Also, can you share link from where you bought the droid head unit?
The USB ports by default is basically a piece of plastic, with two incoming USB heads clipped into it.

For this setup, we removed the factory USB heads (as its wiring is different from aftermarket). Then, the USB headers from the android stereo was affixed to the plastic bit with hot glue.

Here is how the factory USB headers look like when the front plastic dashboard bit is removed
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-fcef2a3d43cb48fba8d3d72b041bd836.jpeg

Here’s how the whole thing looks like with aftermarket USB headers fixed into the dashboard
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-6d10c13b3e184644b9791aeac03a7a34.jpeg

ACC = Automatic Climate Control
Things like temperature, blower setting, direction of air, outside temperature can be seen in the music system. Flyaudio did not support this functionality.
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-172213464d5e417dbf09a2117acd3202.jpeg

I bought the system from a local accessories shop in Kolkata. Similar models should be available in most shops, be sure to check for specs discrepancies. About fitment, you have to push the installer to do a clean OEM install, otherwise most of them will take some shortcuts.
ts1506 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:11   #87
BHPian

Dealers supplying Android 10 Snapdragon 1920*720 with 4GB/64GB availability

Hello,

I've been planning to upgrade my Mercedes ICE system to the new Android 10 tablets. Unfortunately, the local car shops in Chandigarh have been unable to source the correct units with the right specifications.

Are there any car audio dealers/users who can recommend where I can source these units?

I am specifically looking for:(See attached screenshot)
- 10.2" or 12.5" Android 10 screen
- With snapdragon MSM 8953 processor
- 1920*720 resolution with 4GB/64GB

Most of the dealers I have contacted either have Snapdragon processor but with lower resolution screens (480p) or MTK Processors (fake android 10's).

Can anyone help? If you have contact numbers for any Android Head Unit dealers please share.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-img_5099.jpg  

Old 21st May 2021, 12:45   #88
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I have a Fox fire 2gb Head unit ( with TPMS) fitted on my Mahindra TUV300 T8 - 2015 model. I am quite satisfied with the system. However I have lost all the Audio warnings for seat belts , low fuel etc. and the visual display for distance to empty etc This is probably because they did not have a CANBUS for the Mahindra TUV 300.

Is it possible to get this issue rectified and if so how? Humbly solicit advise from fellow BHPians
Ganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 19:44   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganapathy View Post
I have a Fox fire 2gb Head unit ( with TPMS) fitted on my Mahindra TUV300 T8 - 2015 model. I am quite satisfied with the system. However I have lost all the Audio warnings for seat belts , low fuel etc. and the visual display for distance to empty etc This is probably because they did not have a CANBUS for the Mahindra TUV 300.
I don't have an answer at all - but I'm intrigued by your question nonetheless. My logic says the CANBUS adapter can recognize the signals alright - the head unit softwares are typically built for generic signals for door open, lamp on/off, specific buttons of dashboard etc. The fuel gauge, audio warnings for seatbelt would have been coded into the OEM HU software to trigger based on signals from the CANBUS. These generic Android HUs do not have such car specific software. It will be exciting to learn in case there actually is a way to achieve this. Looking forward to replies.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 21:59   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I don't have an answer at all - but I'm intrigued by your question nonetheless. My logic says the CANBUS adapter can recognize the signals alright ........ Looking forward to replies.
Sir, I was told that Fox fire did not have the CANBUS then and that I would lose those facilities. However just this afternoon I saw a Android Head Unit brand called Maaz Beatz on You tube (which offers a CANBUS as well for Mahindra TUV 300) wherein the voice alerts and the visual display for door open , distance to empty all worked perfectly.

I was just wondering ( could be stupidly ) if it is possible to add the CANBUS adaptor from some other manufacturer at this stage and retrieve those facilities in my foxfire Head unit.

Wonder if anyone has tried something similar before
Ganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed