Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2023, 00:20   #271
BHPian

Re: The Android Head-Unit buying guide

Hey guys I have a 2018 Figo and I plan to upgrade the HU. I have a couple of questions
1. Can retrofit FlyAudio 9 from the Freestyle/Ecosport in my Figo?If yes then how much would that cost me?
2. I am looking for a HU that will be used for Android Auto and Apple Car Play support mostly for Google maps,Music and reverse camera. So I am guessing both Android based or non Android based units can do the trick for me. Any suggestions that are reasonably priced(under 20k)
3. Can we buy units that are smaller than 9 inches still? Going by all the videos for figo aftermarket units online, it feels the AC vents are somewhat obstructed by the screen.
4. Also if someone can suggest a store in Bangalore when i can buy and install the unit.

Thanks in advance!

Any suggestion will be helpful.
Redline Shooter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:48   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
You have to enter password 20146699 (or 16176699 depending on firmware) then you will see all the options.

If you enter password 2014 (or 1617), only few options are visible.
Thank you, above passwords worked.

Few questions if any Android HU users can answer
  1. Is there a way to start dvr recording automatically as soon as car is started?
  2. In my HD2 streaming app I can only see front camera not reverse camera. Any idea how to enable both cameras?
Old 11th January 2023, 23:52   #273
BHPian

I recently installed Unplug T5 Gold Edition Android Head Unit with Front & Rear AHD Cameras in my Ertiga.

It comes with Android 11 installed and has 2 GB RAM and 32 GB internal memory.

Performance is ok, and I did not feel any lag in any of the apps.
Sound quality is also pretty decent, and way better than what I expected from an android head unit.

But I noticed that even though the unit is only put to sleep and not fully shut down on turning the car off, all the running apps in the memory are killed or cleared by some sort of inbuilt Android task Manager/task killer, and the system wakes up from sleep cleanly without any of the apps that were running at the time of turning the car off.

Is there any way to prevent this task killer from killing one or more apps, while going to sleep?
This is a required functionality for me to support audio playback resume feature on car power-off/power-on, for 3rd party audio players like poweramp.

The system also does not allow installed apps to show notifications in the android notification area, to keep the app running as a foreground app, so that it would not get killed by the task killer.

Is there any way to enable notifications like the standard android apps notifications that we get for most of the apps in android smartphones?
Even though notifications are enabled for the individual apps, the system somehow prevents them from showing that in the top notification area.

Alternatively, I tried installing different launchers, but in this OS, no app can be configured to auto-start upon booting, and hence no launcher will load automatically on re-boot. Only the default OS will load, and we have to launch the launcher manually.

I even tried installing Tasker app and configured a trigger event to load poweramp upon turning screen On, but even the Tasker service itself gets killed every time the system goes to sleep, and hence that too proved to be useless in this context.

Even though the OS is Android 11, I feel it is pretty much useless, since it does not have the basic features of Android like notifications, Disabling task killing, Auto-start of services upon booting etc.

I contacted their Technical support, but they are clueless about this.

Is there any other way to achieve some or all of these basic functionalities?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13th January 2023, 17:42   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VividSiv View Post
Brand: BlockBuster
Model: BBT-401 (K2501)
Processor: Allwinner T5 quad core 1.8GHz
Screen Res: 1024x600 IPS glass capacitive
Are you sure about the specs? I am planning to buy BBT 401, and the online resources show different data. Some say it is T3L processor:

https://www.motorsche.in/products/bl...b-ram-32gb-rom

A youtube video showing the front and back of the box shows the display as IPS UHD display of 1280x720.

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-image_20230113_174103754.png

Can you please confirm your data?
Old 13th January 2023, 18:55   #275
BHPian

[QUOTE
Can you please confirm your data?[/quote]
Kindly check processor via cpux or cpuz. If it is Alps based MTK AC8227L, then it doesn't support more than 2 Gb RAM. Even if they have attached 4Gb RAM module to the board, it won't support 4Gb RAM. Resolution would be 1024x600 and not 1024x720.
Old 16th January 2023, 16:06   #276
BHPian

[quote=X-Saint;5465090
However now I found out that this system doesn't support 'OK Google' hands free. One has to press the icon and then only it activates
Did some research and found out that on this system it can't be activated. For me, hands free voice commands while driving is must. So asked the guy about the same. He has agreed to replace the HU with the one which supports voice commands with the same configuration.
/QUOTE]

Update - After some more research I gotta understand that Alps-based MTK AC8227L processors support only up to 2 Gb of max RAM. Where as in my HU it was showing 4Gig of RAM in all system info apps like cpux,cpuz, device info, system info etc. So I brought this to my installer's notice, he was really surprised and wasn't ready to accept it as he was also been cheated. Then I had shared a few documents about the processor to convenience him.

Now after extensive research on processors and RAMs, I asked him to replace the system with the Octacore processor. This processor runs on 8 cores, so this is faster and runs buttery smooth even with 2 Gb RAM.

The installer got ready to replace the unit with an octa-core one, but had asked for 5K extra, he also said that he is selling me just on a goodwill basis and he is not earning any profit from me. I have also checked that online all these octa-core units are being sold for >30,000. I got agreed.

The system was installed around 10 days back and really it is buttery smooth. I have observed that normally all apps loads within 2 to 8 seconds on a Quad-Core processor, but maps used to take more than 10 to 15 seconds. In this octa-core system, the map loads instantly within 1 second.

The major thing for me was the support of Google voice assistant. This system does support google voice along with 'OK google'/'Hey Google'. The benefit of this is for the passengers sitting on the rear seat can just say OK Google and can open any app and play desired content.

Have also configured one of the steering controls for the voice input, so if the steering button is pressed, it activates google voice. with the help of this, one can open any of the installed apps or can play anything on 'Youtube'/'Youtube vanced'. BTW Youtube Vanced is an ad-free youtube for free for android mobile and tabs. (For android/firetv stick there is an app called SmartTube which does the same job.)

So far I have installed all major OTT apps like zee5, amazon prime, amazon music, Disney plus Hotstar, sony liv, discovery plus, etc. The system is not lagging at all.

The benefit of a fast android HU is, one does not need to use android auto or mirror link which drains the mobile battery.
Attached Thumbnails
The Android Head-Unit buying guide-whatsapp-image-20221230-7.17.09-pm.jpeg  

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-whatsapp-image-20221230-5.13.55-pm.jpeg  

The Android Head-Unit buying guide-whatsapp-image-20221230-7.17.10-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by X-Saint : 16th January 2023 at 16:34.
X-Saint is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 16:24   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
But I noticed that even though the unit is only put to sleep and not fully shut down on turning the car off, all the running apps in the memory are killed or cleared by some sort of inbuilt Android task Manager/task killer, and the system wakes up from sleep cleanly without any of the apps that were running at the time of turning the car off.
You may need to install a custom ROM (OS) to achieve this. To boost the performance of such low RAM/CPU systems, the OS kills the tasks from the background which are not in use.

Back in 2018, I purchased a VIVO Z1X phone, and to my utter surprise, the brand new phone used to kill even the running apps like amazon music, Spotify, and even youtube every 7 to 8 minutes. Visited the service center and shows the issue to their technicians. They had reported this to their developers and after around a week, a new update of the OS was pushed via OTA and then the issue got resolved.

So if you know about the Custom OS, then visit the XDA forum and try and install a custom ROM. However, if background tasks are not cleared then the HU will be very much laggy due to the crunch of RAM.

Last edited by X-Saint : 16th January 2023 at 16:30.
X-Saint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 14:19   #278

Quote:

Now after extensive research on processors and RAMs, I asked him to replace the system with the Octacore processor. This processor runs on 8 cores, so this is faster and runs buttery smooth even with 2 Gb RAM.

The installer got ready to replace the unit with an octa-core one, but had asked for 5K extra, he also said that he is selling me just on a goodwill basis and he is not earning any profit from me. I have also checked that online all these octa-core units are being sold for >30,000. I got agreed.

The system was installed around 10 days back and really it is buttery smooth. I have observed that normally all apps loads within 2 to 8 seconds on a Quad-Core processor, but maps used to take more than 10 to 15 seconds. In this octa-core system, the map loads instantly within 1 second.
Great in depth analysis. Which brand's android head unit you ended up getting and how much was the overall cost including installation and speakers etc.

Also could you make a recommendation on speakers both component and co-axial ones.
Aldo280 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:19   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo280 View Post
Which brand's android head unit you ended up getting and how much was the overall cost including installation and speakers etc.
As far as brand is concerned, installer clearly said that these all are Chinese imported rebagged systems. However the brand name is GVAA.

For speakers, am using company provided component speakers without amp or sub woofer. However this system has improved bass almost 30% more than company fitted HU.
Also with the help of inbuilt DSP one can fiddle around a lot with sound and select the best output upto one's liking.

Cost wise I paid him 25K including GVAA (replacement/upgraded HU), Blaupunkt Reverse Camera, Blaupunkt Horns, RD security systems remote locking with 2 flip keys.
X-Saint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 23:21   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Saint View Post
As far as brand is concerned, installer clearly said that these all are Chinese imported rebagged systems. However the brand name is GVAA.
My experience with GVAA is good too.
JoaTMoN is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:29   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Saint View Post

Cost wise I paid him 25K including GVAA (replacement/upgraded HU), Blaupunkt Reverse Camera, Blaupunkt Horns, RD security systems remote locking with 2 flip keys.
Thanks. I guess this is considerably cheaper than Woodman units with same configuration. Did you try the sony, pioneer, jvc etc non android units?
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:22   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo280 View Post
Thanks. I guess this is considerably cheaper than Woodman units with same configuration. Did you try the sony, pioneer, jvc etc non android units?
Nopes, I did not try sony, pioneer, JVC, etc cause the frame is an issue for these units.
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:23   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Do Sony/JVC/Blaupunkt etc. have any HUs that just do mirrolink? If one doesn't need android, just wants the HU to show the phone screen?
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:41   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Do Sony/JVC/Blaupunkt etc. have any HUs that just do mirrolink? If one doesn't need android, just wants the HU to show the phone screen?
Yes. A few sony Head Units support phone mirroring via weblink. Eg. Sony XAV 1500 and XAV1500 D.
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:54   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
... just do mirrolink? If one doesn't need android, just wants the HU to show the phone screen?
You mean Android Auto / CarPlay ? Mirror link was an old hack, Android Auto / Apple CarPlay are more mainstream and supported.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks