Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2019, 20:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City

Nice supremely detailed thread! Will use this as my resource when I upgrade my new cars avn unit! Thanks for sharing. I see a lot of effort here.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 10:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Came across some videos created by the Foxfire folks - thought I will leave it on my thread as a reference for other interested folks:

Do note that all features shown may not be part of standard package and may come at an additional cost like the TPMS and the DVR shown - please ensure you check what is included when you speak to the Foxfire contact.

In the meanwhile, I am enjoying the Foxfire Experience on my car well. Will post an update soon with details of the Android Apps that I have discovered on the way that aid the in-car experience.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 1st September 2019 at 10:21.
vsrivatsa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 00:55   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
In conclusion, I am happy with entire experience and the features of the new Audio System. I had to play around with the Equalizer provided to get to a setting that I like. If the Equalizer settings are turned up then the output easily becomes way too much for the stock speakers. Overall I would say it is a decent audio setup with the added convenience of a Capacitive Touchscreen and all the features of pure Android.
I am planning to get this for my Honda City 2009 model and I see that they do have it on their website. Can you please share a brief update how has been the long term experience with this unit? Thanks!

Last edited by bordeaux : 19th January 2020 at 00:57.
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 14:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
I am planning to get this for my Honda City 2009 model and I see that they do have it on their website. Can you please share a brief update how has been the long term experience with this unit? Thanks!
Here is a summary of my Foxfire experience so far:

1. I use Amazon Prime Music regularly and this is a great experience. One does not need to store Music on a USB Drive anymore. Just ask Alexa to play the music of your choice. Works very well and Alexa understands Hindi Music and regional music like Kannada/Tamil/Telugu also very well. The presence of a 4G SIM Makes the whole experience seamless as you are connected the moment the Head Unit starts up.

2. With Amazon Prime Music the Sound Quality appears to be better than stock Head Unit. The Equalizer provided can vary the sound output by a huge margin so one needs to play around with it till you find a setting that you like.

3. Radio Reception is good and one gets to store more stations in memory as compared to the Stock Unit.

4. Google Maps has a lag but the voice commands work well (I guess once 4 GB RAM based models enter the market this should be more fluid.) Once the navigation has been set, after that it works well and is a good experience as compared to sticking a phone with a holder on the dash.

5. The Boot time is painful in the mornings and it takes a good 40 seconds for the full boot up.

6. There is a lag in the engagement of Reverse Camera and initially this is irritating but one gets used to it. As a safety feature, while reverse is engaged the Audio automatically gets muted.

7. I also use PodBean app for listening to Podcasts and it works very well. Other Audio apps that I have used without issues:
  • Kodi
  • Spotify
  • VLC Media Player

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 20th January 2020 at 14:28.
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 08:58   #20
BHPian

Inspired from this thread, I went ahead and contacted Foxfire for a system for my swift. The transaction was smooth and package was promptly shipped. I got it installed at my regular car accessory shop. Its been a while i have been using the system and am really satisfied with the performance.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-car-launcher-day.jpg
lone_driver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:15   #21

Thanks for the information on this thread. I contacted Mr Sunny Gupta for the same Android Head unit for my Honda City 2014 vehicle. He insisted on making the full payment via account transfer. After making the full payment ( includin installation charges) , the head unit was promptly shipped to my address at Hyderabad within a day. I have been since then trying to reach Sunny for the installation details since I already paid for it , his phone is switched off. Some body else from his office called Ankush Agarwal called me to say that Sunny is hospitalized and will call me in few days for the installation. For the past 5 days or more, Sunny's phone continues to be switched off. I am feeling a bit jittery having paid the full amount and Sunny being unreachable. Anyone else recently bought the system from him ?
Old 3rd February 2020, 23:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathwic View Post
I have been since then trying to reach Sunny for the installation details since I already paid for it , his phone is switched off. Some body else from his office called Ankush Agarwal called me to say that Sunny is hospitalized and will call me in few days for the installation. For the past 5 days or more, Sunny's phone continues to be switched off. I am feeling a bit jittery having paid the full amount and Sunny being unreachable. Anyone else recently bought the system from him ?
I (from Hyderabad) tried to approach them via WhatsApp numbers provided on the website but their response time is super slow and it looked like they are not even interested in selling this thing in the first place. I asked them for the price and contact details of their partner in Koti before making the purchase. They didn't provide any of these details. I gave up after that. I really hope their narrative is true and the guy is actually not able to reach out to you.

Worst case scenario, the setup should not be all that complicated and if you took the system to a car decor shop with knowledgeable staff, he should be able to fix it for you.

Good luck!
Old 3rd February 2020, 23:26   #23
BANNED

Quote:
I am feeling a bit jittery having paid the full amount and Sunny being unreachable. Anyone else recently bought the system from him?
Quote:
I asked them for the price and contact details of their partner in Koti before making the purchase. They didn't provide any of these details. I gave up after that.
After reading BHPian vsrivatsa's positive experience so far with the HU, I was more or less convinced to get the same for my Creta. I am yet to contact them but reading the above two experiences I am thinking about the decision whether to stick to Pioneer or Kenwood HU's.

Even though the install will be a complete DIY, my issue is regarding after-sales and what if there is an issue in the coming days. Shall be contacting them and updating the thread.

Quote:
Here is a summary of my Foxfire experience so far
Old 4th February 2020, 10:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am yet to contact them but reading the above two experiences I am thinking about the decision whether to stick to Pioneer or Kenwood HU's. .
I was in a similar situation and even contacted srivatsa for the foxfire headunit and got the pricing etc from sunny. But to be frank i ended up ordering from aliexpress a much higher unit for a much lower price. I purchased it from seicane and have only positive things to say about the unit the fit and finish is superb and sound quality has improved a couple of notches higher with the stock speakers itself.

Plus i get all the fancy stuff such as navigation/netflix and what not and in my opinion its worth every paisa i paid for it. Installation was a total DIY and took me less then 20 mins as everything was plug and play.
scorpian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 11:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some body else from his office called Ankush Agarwal called me to say that Sunny is hospitalized and will call me in few days for the installation. For the past 5 days or more, Sunny's phone continues to be switched off. I am feeling a bit jittery having paid the full amount and Sunny being unreachable.
I would recommend giving a few days more given the information that you have received. Had Sunny mentioned to you the details of the Hyderabad Installer with whom he had the tie up? If so you could try reaching them directly and explaining the situation. The other source would be Red Soul in Bangalore - call them on 080 4163 2121 and check if they are aware of Sunny's situation.

Quote:
Worst case scenario, the setup should not be all that complicated and if you took the system to a car decor shop with knowledgeable staff, he should be able to fix it for you.
Good luck!
For 2014 City it was not straight forward in terms of the Reverse Camera support if you have seen my article. Sunny had to ship a different wiring harness after the default one sent did not work for the Reverse Camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Even though the install will be a complete DIY, my issue is regarding after-sales and what if there is an issue in the coming days. Shall be contacting them and updating the thread.
Please keep us posted on what you hear.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 08:49   #26
BHPian

I just ordered a set yesterday (not foxfire) but from aliexpress. 2gb, 32gb rom for my accord from Aliexpress. Excruciating wait now till it gets here. I also ordered a DVR and a TPMS. Hopefully should be an easy install.
What I'm more interested in is adding the steering controls and canbus. I have an OBD tool but somehow connection to my Android phone isn't steady.
Will keep sharing knowledge and experience.

Any guru knows what a Canbus adapter can do for my Honda.
hkborah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 10:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkborah View Post
I just ordered a set yesterday (not foxfire) but from aliexpress. 2gb, 32gb rom for my accord from Aliexpress. Excruciating wait now till it gets here. I also ordered a DVR and a TPMS. Hopefully should be an easy install.
What I'm more interested in is adding the steering controls and canbus. I have an OBD tool but somehow connection to my Android phone isn't steady.
Will keep sharing knowledge and experience.

Any guru knows what a Canbus adapter can do for my Honda.
Could you also share the link to the specific model on AliExpress?

Canbus Adapter is required only if your car is Canbus enabled. For example the Honda City is not Canbus Enabled and if I were to fix a LED Headlight of a lower wattage than prescribed then the Headlight will work with no issues. In a Canbus enabled car such as the Jeep Compass, in the same scenario the Headlight would not work and the car would suspect that there is an issue with the electricals. To overcome this issue a Canbus Adapter is required. I am not sure if an Accord is Canbus enabled or not.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 11:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Could you also share the link to the specific model on AliExpress?
The toys I ordered are:
1. The HU ~ Rs. 9000/-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...33d64c4dp9UJ05

2. The DVR ~ Rs. 1000/-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...33d64c4dp9UJ05

3. The TPMS ~ Rs 3000/-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3302...3d047e6aF2Tnaf

I did not push for a DSP enabled unit as the unit is going to work with the Aux of the factory system. I am satisfied with the OEM sound quality enough to not spend money on the upgrade. For the difference, I got the DVR and TPMS.
hkborah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 12:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The toys I ordered are:
1. The HU ~ Rs. 9000/-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...33d64c4dp9UJ05
I went thru the specs and this looks like great value for money, not only are you getting a 2GB/32GB spec but also Android 9.1

For people who have reached out to Sunny, do check if he has updated the HUs that he is selling to Android 9.
Old 17th February 2020, 15:06   #30
BANNED

Quote:
The toys I ordered are:
1. The HU ~ Rs. 9000/-
A friend too purchased a unit for Creta and as advertised it was Android 9 but after installation, he used some App that checks the actual software version, RAM and ROM, it was Android 6.1 IIRC.

Be careful and double check with the seller and ensure it is Android 9 in reality.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks