Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2019, 10:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City

My 2014 Honda City has been clocking miles effortlessly and it has been an excellent ownership experience so far. In this article I plan to cover the ICE Upgrade for the City.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture37.jpg
My 2014 iDTEC Honda City >

The 2014 Honda City V variant comes with a Panasonic based stock Head Unit which offers a decent set of features. It provides a CD Slot, Bluetooth Connectivity, Radio, MP3 Playback via USB and support for Reverse Camera with three views.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture01.jpg
Honda City V Variant - Stock Head Unit

I always believed Honda should have provided a Touchscreen back then itself but after seeing the big mess they created with their invention called the “Digipad” – I am happy with what they did back then. People have been so frustrated with the first version of Digipad that we can see Change.org petitions on it: URL

Before I start sharing my experience in detail - there is no suspense here, I will provide the Spoiler that I upgraded to a 10.1 Inch Android based system from Foxfire. Here are the quick facts for the Android System:

Foxfire FF001 Android Head Unit:
  • 10.1 inch Screen 1024 x 600 Resolution with Gorilla Glass Coating
  • 2GB RAM, 32GM ROM, 4G LTE SIM Support
  • Android 8.1 Oreo
  • Built-in DSP Chip
  • They support a wide variety of Cars with appropriate Frames
  • 1 Year Warranty
For complete Details Refer the Brochure here: URL

Contact Details: | Mr. Sunny Gupta - 9555011134 | Note: Do mention that you got the contact details via Team-BHP

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture24.jpg
Sunny Gupta Visiting Card

With those details to start with, let me now move on and tell this story as it happened from the beginning...

Pioneer and Sony Systems
I had considered upgrading the Head Unit multiple times with a Touchscreen based unit but stayed away as most of the budget units from Pioneer and Sony were based on Resistive screens. In late 2017, when BHPian bsdbsd posted his updated on the Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT > (Installed! Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT in my Honda City) I was impressed with the features offered but somehow did not still upgrade. More recently I was considering the Sony XAV 5000 HU as it did sport a Capacitive Screen and came with most features on my Wishlist.

Entry of the Android Head Units
Amidst this, I started researching on Android Head Units. This opened up the horizon for large 10 inch screens. The Dashboard of the Honda City is very conducive to a large form factor system. I saw some YouTube Videos of people who had installed 10.1 inch Android Units on the Honda City. The size seemed to be perfect for the City Dashboard. In contrast the 7 inch models offered by Sony and Pioneer seemed to fade away from my Wishlist.

Exploring the Android Head Unit Options
I think a good coverage has been provided on the recent Team-BHP article here: > (The Android Head-Unit buying guide)

For me the main selling points on the Android Head Unit would be the ability to install any Android app that I wished. While I am not much of a music listener, I have spent hours listening to podcasts and audio books on Audible while on my office commute. Hence being able to directly install these apps and use them natively on a Android Head Unit seemed like a perfect idea.

In May this year, my cousin upgraded the stock Head Unit on his Ciaz to the Blaupunkt Costa Mesa which provides an Android experience. The fitment was made at “Car N Style” on JC Road. What I observed though that these units did not integrate well with existing wiring. Although claims were made about coupler to coupler fitment – it did leave wires exposed as they added additional wiring for Bluetooth mic which was visible and also for Radio Antenna.

So I made my checklist/questionnaire as follows:
Question 1: Is there any Warranty if the system fails?
Question 2: Will the Head Unit work with the following existing OEM components:
  1. Reverse Camera as my car already had one.
  2. Bluetooth Microphone – The V variant had a microphone in the rooftop and the clarity is excellent with the stock microphone.
  3. Radio Antenna – City comes with a Shark Fin Antenna
  4. Steering Mounted Controls – Steering Mounted controls are provided in my car. This one in the end as Steering Mounted controls are typically supported and this is more or less given these days.
With this checklist in hand I set out enquiring the pricing and features of Android Head Units that were available in the market.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture02.jpg
Reference: Stock Bluetooth Microphone embedded in the roof: V/VX Variants 2014 Honda City

The following are the ones considered:

1. Hypersonic:
This seems to be the most popular one in the market. I found a Facebook page for Hypersonic and saw several YouTube videos. The pricing and configuration seemed truly economical and value for money. 10.1 inch Screen with 1024x600 resolution, Capacitive Screen, 2GB RAM and 32 GB ROM and Android Oreo v8.1 with a Warranty of 1 year.

I posted several messages on the Facebook page but got no response till date. Picked up the phone number from YouTube and contacted on WhatsApp. The guy quoted all types of configurations and various prices. Here is the pricing that Hypersonic Contact Person (Kanwaljeet) quoted:
  • Hypersonic 1GB/16GB Android Nougat 7.0 : Rs.12,500/-
  • Hypersonic 2GB/16GB Android Nougat 7.0 : Rs.14,500/-
  • Hypersonic 2GB/32GB Android Oreo 8.1 : Rs.18,500/-
Note: The price does not include labor/fitment charges

I had a long conversation with the guy and he clarified about the features and my concerns. He did not have a spec sheet to share which easily listed out all the features. He sent me photos of the Head Unit and forwarded the YouTube video which I had already seen.

When I ran thru the checklist I had, he then said for Camera Activation there would be an additional charge of Rs.1,800 which would take the total price of the 2GB/32GB Model that I was eyeing to Rs.20,300/- The moment he spoke about an additional charge for Camera I was worried as I was not sure what else I might not have covered and may end up paying extra.

The same Hypersonic Unit was also listed online on a site called WaveHertz (URL). I contacted WaveHertz and the guy quoted the same price of Rs.18,500/- for the same model. So the pricing seemed standard. While the 2 GB/32 GB model was not listed on their site at the time of my conversation, the support person confirmed that they have it in stock and could ship it.

2. CarChic India: (URL)
This Unit looked very similar to the Hypersonic one in the pictures and had the same specification. I contacted the support person on Facebook and checked on the pricing. Slightly higher figure of Rs.19,500/- was put forth. At this point I could not resist and asked him if this is same as the Hypersonic model with a different branding. He said, all of them source these units from Taiwan and hence the internal spec would possibly be the same. He also said that the price was not negotiable and included Air Shipping to Bangalore. He also said he did not have any tie up or contacts with any local shop in Bangalore.

3. Bangalore Local Shops @J C Road & Jayanagar:
After having explorer so many online and remote options I felt it was reasonable to check the local market as well before venturing into any of these. Called Car Gold on JC Road and he asked me to share the photos. Post that he called and said only a system with 1GB RAM / 16 GB ROM was available. I checked with Car N Style JC Road and got a similar response there as well. Lastly I called Konark Car Accessories in 9th Block Jayanagar and they too had the same 1GB/16GB model. Most of the stores said they would provide fitment if I sourced the unit and the charges for fitment varied from Rs.700/- to Rs.1200/-

Based on these findings I concluded that I would not be able to get the latest models in the physical stores in Bangalore.

4. Foxfire Android Head Unit: The Winner (URL)
Name:  Picture04.png
Views: 31695
Size:  8.5 KB

At this juncture arrived the unexpected. Discussions around Android Head Units began in the Honda City WhatsApp group which I am part of. One person from Gujarat had opted for a system called Foxfire and he posted videos of the system. It had everything that Hypersonic had and in addition came with a 4G LTE SIM Slot. The company had made a slick brochure listing all the features as well: URL.

I reached out to Mr. Sunny Gupta who was the contact for the firm and he did not disclose any pricing. Asked me for the location and asked me to contact Red Soul in Bangalore. Red Soul in Bangalore has several good reviews from other BHPians and hence I felt confident. I messaged Red Soul and got a quote of Rs.26,000 for the top end Head Unit with 2GB/32GB + 4G LTE SIM Slot. I thought the price was fairly steep compared to the Rs.20,300 quoted by Hypersonic. However, the Hypersonic quote did not include fitment charges and it would possibly land at Rs.21,000 in the end including fitment. I messaged all my questions to Sunny and he answered all questions promptly. He clarified clearly that the stock Bluetooth Microphone cannot be leveraged and that he would provide an External Microphone and confirmed that it would not be exposed. Except for that one gap - which I think would be true with respect to the other systems as well - all other criteria was met. 1 Year Warranty is offered on the Foxfire Unit as well.

We had several discussions on the Honda City Club India WhatsApp Group and we decided to approach Sunny as a group and ask for bulk pricing. One of the guys on the group Mr. Amit was based out of Gurgaon and worked nearby to Mr.Sunny’s office. So he visited Sunny and personally negotiated for half a dozen units of Foxfire Android Systems to be installed all over India. I cannot reveal the price we got as it’s negotiated price for buying in bulk but it seemed like a good deal as it included fitment charges also as Foxfire had tie ups with several fitment folks in all major metropolitan cities. Sunny would ship the unit directly to us and we could make the payment online as well. Made the payment and the unit was dispatched on the same day.

Name:  Picture03.png
Views: 32001
Size:  400.0 KB
Foxfire Android Head Unit | Brochure Link (URL)

It was sent using Shree Maruti Couriers. Impatient as I was, I did not wait for the delivery and collected the package by visiting the courier hub in Jayanagar. I then messaged Sunny and confirmed that I have received the unit.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture05.jpg
Foxfire Unit Arrives - Top Cover

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture06.jpg
Foxfire Unit Arrives - Side View
Note: Box Package quoted Android 6.0 but Android has been upgraded to 8.1 Oreo in the actual unit

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture07.jpg
MRP Quoted on Box Packing!!

He said that he would coordinate the fitment with Red Soul in Bangalore. I fixed up an appointment for Saturday for the installation. I did not want to open the box on my own as a safety measure and decided that I would let the Red Soul technicians to open the box to be on the safer side just in case something was already damaged in transit.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th July 2019 at 18:11.
vsrivatsa is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 11:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City

FoxFire Installation at Red Soul Enterprise, Bangalore
Let us now continue onto the installation and configuration experience.

Reached Red Soul at around 11-00 AM on Saturday as planned.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture08.jpg
Red Soul Board

I told them that I have received the Foxfire Unit directly from Sunny and that I had come for installation. There was one more person who had come for installation of some Mats or something. They made space for my car to be parked right onto the gate. Red Soul is a house converted into a shop. Right next to it there is also a AutoCop Building.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture09.jpg
Red Soul Office

The technicians in Red Soul were professional – they all wear a blue inform and they have a photo badge with their name on it as well. One Mr. Rajendra who they called out as Raju was assigned to help us out. As we sat in the car for Raju to come over, another person came and served us tea. Raju unboxed the FoxFire Unit.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture10.jpg
Foxfire Android Head Unit Unboxed

The fitment of the Foxfire unit started.
Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture11.jpg
Cables/Audio Harness Supplied with Foxfire System

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture12.jpg
Back Side View of the Foxfire Head Unit

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture13.jpg
The GloveBox Removed

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture14.jpg
Stock Unit Removed
The stock unit was removed and I kept it in the boot. Another Red Soul technician also joined in to help Raju with the installation.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture15.jpg
4G LTE Antenna being added to the Left Side Pillar
A dedicated Antenna for the Mobile connectivity was added. In Addition to the Antenna for Mobile, a GPS Antenna was also placed on the Dashboard.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture16.jpg
Foxfire Connections being made

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture18.jpg
Validating Connections
At this point, one of the checks made was that the Reverse Camera was not working. So Raju called Sunny over phone and informed him that there was an issue with the supplied cable and that the Reverse Camera was not showing the View. Sunny promptly agreed to ship a replacement cable.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture19.jpg
Radio Check

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture20.jpg
Foxfire Fitted onto the City Dashboard

Screen showing the configuration of Steering Wheel controls. The Steering Wheel controls can be mapped by end user itself using the interface provided.
With this step, the installation was completed. The only gap was that the Reverse Camera did not work as expected and Sunny agreed to send the replacement cable.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture21.jpg
Google Maps Navigation

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture22.jpg
Agama Car Launcher

Overall I must say that the Installation service provided by Red Soul was very good. At the end of the install process I was not asked for any money or even a tip by any of the staff and I must appreciate the professionalism of the Red Soul staff. We agreed that I would come back to get the Reverse Camera fixed once it reaches Bangalore.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th July 2019 at 16:17.
vsrivatsa is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 13th July 2019, 16:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City

Reverse Camera Configuration

I messaged Sunny on WhatsApp and he assured me that he would send out the replacement cable directly to Red Soul. On Monday, he confirmed that the cable had been dispatched and he once again confirmed to me that the cable had reached Red Soul on Wednesday.

I called up Red Soul and took another appointment for Friday evening to get the Reverse Camera to work. Reached Red Soul and once again it was Raju who was assigned to help us out.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture25.jpg
Foxfire Head Unit was unmounted again

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture26.jpg
Additional Wiring Added for Power Supply to Camera
Raju explained to me that the stock wiring for power would not help here and that an additional wire had to be added to provide power for the reverse camera.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture27.jpg
Checking for the Correct Wire
Beneath the drive side door - they opened up the bundle of wires and started to check for the correct wire.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture28.jpg
Wire Bundled along with other Wires
Ouch! Some Wire Splicing had to be done for this part alone - they tapped one of the Green wires and connected the additional Red Wire. This was the only place in the entire installation where some wire splicing had to be done. Otherwise everywhere else it was a coupler to coupler fitment.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture29.jpg
Reverse Camera Works!

After the wiring was completed, all the 3 views of the Camera worked. The Source Button on the Steering Wheel could be used to change/toggle the 3 views provided on the Reverse Camera. Do note that when the Reverse Camera engages everything else in the Foxfire Audio System pauses for that period. Also, the resolution of the camera now appears to be low as compared to the screen size. The image shows up with some amount of grains but I believe its not a deal breaker. The Reverse Camera Setup/Configuration was now completed and I headed home.

Given the way the Reverse Camera turned out, I was happy that I had gone with Foxfire where there was a clear tie up between Foxfire and Red Soul. If I had gone with any of the other options, I might have had to pay additional money for the second round of fitment efforts.

Other Features

An External Bluetooth Microphone was added near the Shade of the Driver side door. I guess if the wire is long enough then it can be positioned onto the same place as the default microphone inside the roof. I have not tried it as yet. Even the way it is currently there is no wires exposed outside which is good.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture30.jpg
External Bluetooth Microphone

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture31.jpg
SIM Slot in GloveBox
I decided to check the other features such as the 4G SIM Support provided. Went to Airtel and got a new PrePaid SIM and installed it.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture32.jpg
4G Connectivity shown in the Head Unit
Had to switch the Head Unit to Airplane mode and back again to make it detect the SIM but once detected it worked fine and I was able to make calls using in the SIM within the Head Unit. As per my understanding it is not VoLTE Enabled and hence if a Jio SIM is used then calling would require the Jio App.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture33.jpg
View of Google Podcasts App on Head Unit

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture34.jpg
View of Kodi Media Player

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture35.jpg
View of Kodi Media Player - Visualizations

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture36.jpg
Larger View of Dash with Touchscreen HU and Touchscreen AirCon System

So far, I tried Jio TV, Kodi, Audible, Sound Cloud, Google Music Player, Skype For Business, Torque Lite and all these apps worked very well. Will keep the thread updated with my future explorations.

Conclusion:

Name:  Ratings.png
Views: 28273
Size:  11.6 KB
Foxfire Ratings

Sound Quality: Will not say its a big improvement over the stock setup but neither did I feel that it has gone negative. Could have been even better given that they claim a DSP Chip Built-In. Also, the stock speakers are tuned more towards the stock system. I believe by fine tuning more using the Equalizer provided it should be possible to improve further. By default the Bass is on the higher side and needed to be pulled down using the Equalizer.

Screen Quality & Touch Input: This is excellent. It is a multi-touch touchscreen and sensitive. No issues faced here. In addition, we know the screen is safe due to the Corning Gorilla Glass coating

Android Experience & Features: This is unbeatable in my opinion as compared to other branded systems that just provide Android Auto as you get the native app itself on your system.

Installation Experience: Again full marks to Red Soul for the professional work done.

Support & Customer Experience: Once again I am very happy with the support provided. Despite the Rear View camera not working on first attempt I did not face any worries due to the assurance provided and quick actions taken.

Overall: Great Experience and I would definitely recommend Foxfire to others.

In conclusion, I am happy with entire experience and the features of the new Audio System. I had to play around with the Equalizer provided to get to a setting that I like. If the Equalizer settings are turned up then the output easily becomes way too much for the stock speakers. Overall I would say it is a decent audio setup with the added convenience of a Capacitive Touchscreen and all the features of pure Android.

Pros:
  • Pure Android Experience - I can install any App I want.
  • 4G SIM Support
  • Bluetooth Connectivity is much more stable than Stock Unit. When the Car stops and starts again earlier there was a loss of BT Connectivity for a good number of seconds - now its almost instantaneous.
  • Great match for the Honda City Dashboard - does not look like aftermarket at all - almost like Factory Finish
  • Paired well with the ODB II Adapter which I already had - have a lot to explore there.
  • Google Maps with GPS
  • Good Integration with Stock Components except for Bluetooth Microphone
  • Additional USB Input is made available within the Glove Box and the Stock USB port also continues to works
  • Ability to install Apps like HotStar and Jio TV and you could have In-Car TV
  • "Screen Off" function is provided - so that there is no distraction while driving and one can still listen to the audio part of the Video or TV

Cons:
  • External Bluetooth Microphone had to be added - Stock Microphone is left a waste now
  • Wire had to be spliced for the Reverse Camera to work

Special Thanks:
  • I would like to Thank the members of the Honda City Club India WhatsApp Group, specifically Mr. Amit Chauhan and Mr. Parmar for their invaluable help during the entire process.
  • I would like to thank Mr. Sunny Gupta, Director, Foxfire for his great support over Phone and WhatsApp at every step of the installation.
  • I would also like to do a special call out to Mr. Rajendra (Raju) from Red Soul for the excellent work with the installation.
  • Team-BHP as always for the great knowledge sharing platform that it is!

The tag line of Foxfire - "Let us journey with Foxfire" is apt and I have just started my journey. I think addition of an Android Head Unit brings about limitless possibilities that I have just begun to explore.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th July 2019 at 19:59.
vsrivatsa is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 14th July 2019, 19:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 11:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
He said that he would coordinate the fitment with Red Soul in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa;4620351
The tag line of Foxfire - "[B
Let us journey with Foxfire[/b]" is apt and I have just started my journey. I think addition of an Android Head Unit brings about limitless possibilities that I have just begun to explore.
Amazing job. I have never heard of Foxfire. I don't know anything about Android either. But this is amazing work.

How long do these headunits take to start? Are they on instantaneously like old analog head units or do they (like computers) take 10-30 seconds to start up?
navin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 12:27   #6
BHPian

That's a good fit. Does it come with a custom bezel/Panel for Honda City or is it Universal. How is the finish of the hooks on the bezel ?. What I have heard are the hooks tend to be flimsy (atleast on Hypersonic). I'm looking for an andriod unit for my Duster. Any pointers to that ?.
shashi792 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 18:03   #7
BHPian

Excellent write up and congratulations on the new ICE journey. Since you have done a bulk purchase, has the experience of the rest of the group been the same?
It would be great if you could share the feedback from the rest of the your group about the sound quality also.
simpleman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 22:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
How long do these headunits take to start? Are they on instantaneously like old analog head units or do they (like computers) take 10-30 seconds to start up?
Yes, when it reboots it does take around 15 seconds or so I guess - will time it next time so I report accurate figures. Also, what I noticed was that it does not reboot every time - for shorter time gaps of a couple of hours I did not see it reboot and it came on instantly. Again - I will need to do some more detailed observations to provide an accurate answer. Will revisit your question soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
That's a good fit. Does it come with a custom bezel/Panel for Honda City or is it Universal. How is the finish of the hooks on the bezel ?. What I have heard are the hooks tend to be flimsy (atleast on Hypersonic). I'm looking for an andriod unit for my Duster. Any pointers to that ?.
Foxfire has custom Panel for many cars and it did come with a custom panel for the 4th Gen City. They have a different panel for the 3rd Gen City and a different panel for say a Maruti Ignis. Below is a sampling of the different types of Panels for different cars:

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-hyundai_maruti.png
Sample Listing of Panels for Different Cars

This is only a subset and you can look up what's available in the detailed catalog/brochure here and they do have one for the Duster as well: URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
Excellent write up and congratulations on the new ICE journey. Since you have done a bulk purchase, has the experience of the rest of the group been the same?
It would be great if you could share the feedback from the rest of the your group about the sound quality also.
So, far I know of 3 other people who have got it installed apart from me. Two of them are extremely happy and they were thrilled to see the cricket match on Hotstar App installed on Foxfire .

One person who replaced the Digipad (City XZ CVT) with Foxfire felt that sound level is louder and bass is higher and that he liked the sound quality of the Digipad better but he too agreed that given the other features available its exceptional value.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 15th July 2019 at 23:08.
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 05:42   #9
BHPian

Looks super neat, how is the stability of the system? i.e. does it get rebooted randomly or hang or stutter or something like that?

Also, is it possible to share a daytime picture of the installed unit?

I see that hazard lights button switch has turned vertical, hope it's appearance only and no functional change.

My Jazz V 2017 has the exact same stock head unit and placement as yours. This looks very appealing indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 16th July 2019 at 05:45.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 07:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b][u][i]Overall I must say that the Installation service provided by Red Soul was very good. At the end of the install process I was not asked for any money or even a tip by any of the staff and I must appreciate the professionalism of the Red Soul staff. We agreed that I would come back to get the Reverse Camera fixed once it reaches Bangalore.
I know about Red Soul from 2007, they provided door step installation to many of my relatives cars. They are reliable and professional in what they do, are they still providing door step service?
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 10:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Looks super neat, how is the stability of the system? i.e. does it get rebooted randomly or hang or stutter or something like that?
System has been very stable so far - no incidents of random reboots or hangs. There is also an option to clear all apps and like any android phone its good to clear the memory.

Quote:

I see that hazard lights button switch has turned vertical, hope it's appearance only and no functional change.
Will post Pictures this weekend once I am back in Bengaluru - had to travel to Mumbai on work. Yes making the Hazard button vertical creates more dashboard real estate to fit the 10.1 inch massive display of the Foxfire unit. There is no change in functionality and the Hazard button works as expected - the bezel of the button increased though since more of it comes out with the new frame.

Quote:
My Jazz V 2017 has the exact same stock head unit and placement as yours. This looks very appealing indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, this should fit perfectly for the Jazz as well. The Dashboard of the City & Jazz are all suited for these type of large screens. The 7" systems now look very small in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I know about Red Soul from 2007, they provided door step installation to many of my relatives cars. They are reliable and professional in what they do, are they still providing door step service?
Not sure about the doorstep service - will check with them when I visit them the next time. I agree with your point on the reliable and professional service provided by Red Soul.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 21:53   #12
BHPian

Is there a built in safety measure where you can't watch a video while the car is in motion?

It is really unsafe if such units are sold where this safety measure is not present or can be disabled.
city2491 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 18:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
It is really unsafe if such units are sold where this safety measure is not present or can be disabled.
While your concern is valid and correct, the safety measure can be disabled in most units sold branded or unbranded where the link is with the hand brake. Most aftermarket installers disable it when they install it so I don't think this is any different.

The good thing though is that Google Assistant can be enabled and the system does accept voice commands for most of the common tasks.

Quote:
Here are some more pictures - will upload in daylight tomorrow - but these are taken using a proper digital camera and not mobile so should be better.

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture01.jpg
View of HeadUnit and Frame

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture02.jpg
Additional Shot: View of HeadUnit and Frame

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture03.jpg
Zoomed Out Further: View of HeadUnit and Frame

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture04.jpg
System Specifications

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture05.jpg
GPS Settings Shown

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture06.jpg
Volume Settings

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture07.jpg
Equalizer / Sound Settings

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture08.jpg
YouTube Video Being Played - Can be Maximized

Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City-picture09.jpg
Radio Interface Provided by HU
vsrivatsa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 18:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Here are some more pictures - will upload in daylight tomorrow - but these are taken using a proper digital camera and not mobile so should be better.
Thank you! I can now certainly see how the fit is very OEM like, looks fabulous.

I'm only concerned about the splicing for the backup camera view as I'm strictly against splicing for safety reasons more than for warranty reasons. But this setup is really tempting.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Based on some of the questions that were raised by folks I am putting together an FAQ:

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for the Foxfire Android Head Unit:

Q1: How much time does the Foxfire Android system take to boot? Does it boot everytime?
A1: I checked on this aspect a few times. The Android System does not reboot every time the vehicle is switched off and switched on. The maximum I have observed so far is that the system does not reboot if the time interval is less than about 10 hours. This means for example, I park my car in office in the morning and finish my work by evening and when I start the car again, the system switches on instantly.

Having said this, I also measured the time when the system rebooted and it took a good 40 seconds to reboot completely.

Q2:How long can the Android Head Unit be used when the car engine is not running?
A2: I asked this question to Sunny Gupta as even I was worried that given the big 10 inch screen the impact on the battery maybe higher. The answer I got is that we can safely use the system for 90 minutes to 120 minutes depending on the Battery Condition. So, we could consider 90 minutes as a safe running time for the system to be on the safer side.

Q3:What is screen resolution of the Foxfire Android HU? What type of screen (Touch Panel) is it? In what way is this better than some of the Branded Systems in the market?
A3: The screen resolution of the Foxfire System is 1024 x 600. The Screen type is Capacitive and the screen also has a Gorilla Glass coating on it so that scratches are prevented.

Some of the branded systems in the market come with Resistive Screens - examples of these include the Sony XAV AX-3000 & Pioneer AVH-Z5090 BT. In order to understand why the Foxfire Screen is better it makes sense to understand some of the downsides of a Resistive Screen. The Sony XAV AX-5000 comes with a Capacitive Touch Panel.

Resistive Screens have the following Disadvantages in comparison to a Capacitive Screen:
  • Less senstive to light touch, do not generally support Multi Touch Actions (Two Finger Zoom or Pinch Actions)
  • Display has lesser clarity
  • Screen material is more easily scratched and hence less durable

Q4:What are the advantages of having a SIM Card in the Head Unit?
A4:
  1. You will not need to create a HotSpot from your Mobile or use a Hotspot Dongle.
  2. Directly make calls and receive calls/messages from the Head Unit
  3. Enable Location Sharing using Google Maps and share the Location of your car.
  4. Foxfire Unit also has the ability to create a HotSpot for other devices

Q5:What other extensions does Foxfire Android System support?
A5:
  • Additional Front Camera can be added. If your car does not come with a Reverse Camera then a Reverse Camera can be added.
  • Bluetooth based OBD II Adapter: can be added and in combination with the Torque Pro App Several ECU Diagnostics can be made visible on the screen. This includes features like Torque, Fuel Consumption, Horse Power and Engine Revs
  • TPMS: Tyre Pressure Management System External/Internal which supports Android based Head Units can be added. Some of these support even the Spare Wheel.

Q6:What version of Android is the Foxfire System based on? Is it possible to upgrade the system to a newer version of Android?
A6: The Foxfire HU is based on Android Oreo v8.1. In theory it should be possible to upgrade and the Android system has the option but the Supplier providing an Android update seems to be unlikely.

Q7:Does the Foxfire support only the Honda City or is it available for other cars as well?
A7:Yes, the Foxfire Head Units are available with the applicable frame for most of the current generation and previous generation cars in India from multiple brands. Please refer to the Foxfire Brochure for a complete listing : Foxfire Infotainment 2019.PDF

Q8:Are wires spliced/cut during the installation of the Foxfire Head Unit?
A8:For current generation cars there will not be a need to cut/splice any wires. As mine was the pre-facelift City, there was splicing of one wire that was needed. In general, everything is plug and play, coupler to coupler fitment.

Q9:How long does the installation of the Foxfire Android Unit take?
A9:The installation of the Head Unit takes about 45 minutes end to end.

Q10:Is there any exchange price/buy back offered for the existing/stock Head Unit in the car?
A10:Unfortunately there is no exchange price offered for the existing/stock unit. You could potentially keep the stock unit and fit it back in when selling the car retaining the Foxfire Unit or try selling the Stock Unit on OLX or other websites.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 23rd July 2019 at 16:00.
vsrivatsa is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks