Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2007, 16:57   #1
BHPian

Help with a Skoda ICE upgrade

Hi Bhpians...

I am looking to upgrade my current ICE setup, which is a currently stock which came with the car. It consists of 2 tweeters, and 2 speakers in the front, and a Cassette HU. I would like a setup with 4 tweeters, (2 in front in door already + 2 rear in door needed). And 4 normal speakers(2 already in front and 2 more needed), and a MP3/CD HU. My budget is about 10-15K for the upgrade right now.
Please suggest a setup, and I don't really want to go in for an Amp/Sub right now as my budget wont permit, but yes I would like to add that after about 6 onths or so....
Can someone please suggest me a setup...
and if someone knows a good place to get it done in Pune...
thanks...
Old 6th February 2007, 18:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
It consists of 2 tweeters, and 2 speakers in the front, and a Cassette HU. I would like a setup with 4 tweeters, (2 in front in door already + 2 rear in door needed). And 4 normal speakers(2 already in front and 2 more needed), and a MP3/CD HU. My budget is about 10-15K for the upgrade right now.
For starters do not think of having 4 tweeters in your car.
Old 6th February 2007, 19:16   #3
BANNED

Hi Ritesh,
Stock speakers in your car won't be very good. They're just fitted in with a purpose of being fillers and nothing more.
And all the speakers in your car should be matching each other. If you get another brand and make of speakers, then it will not match your current speakers. And that will make your audio setup a bit unbalanced.

So, either go for new speakers and forget your stock speakers or get some matching speakers and keep your stock speakers also.

And you don't have to buy another set of tweeters. That will again make the sound very bright and harsh.

Ideal setup would be to have a pair of component speakers for the front and have a set of co-axials for the rears. later on, you can add a sub+amp etc...

For the HU, get one which you find suitable for you. If you don't plan to go for a 2 amp setup later, then getting a normal HU will be fine. As you should be used to Alpine for a while now, try 9843, 9852 etc.. from Alpine. These are the ones which will fit in your budget.
If you're not particular about Alpines, (you think you'll be comfortable with any HU) then try your hands on the new Pioneers. 4950 is a good HU with some good features. Even Sony offers some decent HUs within your budget but their build quality is still not pleasing to me.

I would suggest this in your budget.
Pioneer 2950 HU (4.5k Grey) or 4950 (5.5k Grey)
JBL 607 components (6k)
JBL 5.25 co-axials (2.2k)
Old 6th February 2007, 19:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

... aaaand OFF we go!!!

Two suggestions

1 - take about 10 posts worth of answers - weigh your options - and ACTION THEM

2 ... else get set to turn bum-broke like me!!
Old 6th February 2007, 20:19   #5
BHPian

The Skoda has stock location for 6.5" in the front and it is a direct fit without any modifications on the stock mounting ring, with stock tweeter location in the mirror pods.

The rears are stock 5.25" (for coaxials).
Old 6th February 2007, 20:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

nanu28, as the earlier poster have said, 4 tweeters in a car will be a bit too much.

If you're looking for some improvement in your current sound @ 12-15K, get a good pair of component speakers (midbass + tweeters + crossover network/Inline filter) for 6-7K for the front, move the front speakers (& tweeters) to the back. And fade the HU as much to the front as possible. Listen to Hertz/JBL/Alpine and get what works for you.

I wouldn't connect those tweeters to the rear speakers, though. Not connecting them will make the installation easier, and prevent the sound from getting too bright. The tweeters must be wired in parallel to full-range speakers -- I doubt if proper component speakers with a crossover (or even an inline filter) come factory-fitted.

Use the remaining budget to buy a good HU, like the ones Speedzak has suggested in his post.

After six months when you get a 4-ch amp, connect the front components to 2 channels, a sub to the other 2 channels, and leave the rear speakers running off the HU. Maybe you can also get rid of the factory speakers somewhere along the line and get coaxials that match the front components.

Last edited by hydrashok : 6th February 2007 at 20:26.
Old 7th February 2007, 16:54   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
nanu28, as the earlier poster have said, 4 tweeters in a car will be a bit too much.
not really. the front tweeters are mated to the front woofers. and the rear tweeters are mated to the rear woofers.
Old 8th February 2007, 10:12   #8
BHPian

I like HydraShok's idea,
but will the front speakers fit at the back without any alterations, someone said the front is 6" and rear is 5.25" can some one please confirm this...
Thanks...
Also anyone knows a good place to get this done in Pune...?
Old 8th February 2007, 19:32   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I like HydraShok's idea,
but will the front speakers fit at the back without any alterations, someone said the front is 6" and rear is 5.25" can some one please confirm this.....?
Yes front is 6.5 and rear is 5.25. I use 18cm in the front and 12cm in the rear (sorry but the models I used came in metric sizes). the rear will not accomodate much more than 13cm from what i remember.

If you want to spend >15K I'd just get a good CD HU and front components for about 6-8K each.
Old 9th February 2007, 09:18   #10
BHPian

Hi,
HUmm, and if I want to stretch my budget a bit. How much would 2 set of components (i for front and one rear)+ 1 sub, or (1 component and 2 5.25 at rear + an Sub), put me back...? Is it essential for me to get an amp for this setup, or is it ok for me to get just a goog HU...
Yes, but I am not looking to go more thank 20-25K still...
Old 9th February 2007, 10:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the ICE bug has bitten you too, nanu28

2 sets of comps are really not required. Comps in front and co-axials in back will be enough. But, if you do travel in the back often enough, it will be worth getting comps in the back. Comps cost more than co-axials, so more of your budget will be used up if we use comps in back also.

Comps - front (6.5"): Around 6K
Comps - rear (5.25"): Around 5.5K
Sub (12"): Around 8K (with box) [On a tight budget if you get a Pio Sub, you can do it as low as 4.5K with box]
Amp (4-ch): 7K (pio) to 9K (JBL CS60.4)
Wiring (RCA + Power): 6K
TOTAL = 29K (lowest possible) = about 27K (after discounts).

If you get co-axials in the rear, you'll save about 1K from the total. Install should get done within this total. You'll need damping for the boot lid (definite requirement) and the front doors soon. That will run to another 4-5K when you get it done.

I haven't added the cost of a HU to the above. If you want to get a HU also, that will be about 10K-12K (Blau/Alpine/Kenwood/Pio) for one with 3 pre-outs.

If you skip the sub you can skip the amp (but it would be a good idea to get one).
Old 9th February 2007, 11:30   #12
BHPian

Humm I dont mind this bug bitting me, but its just that at the moment i have too many bugs that have bitten me so I will try to keep this one at bay...:-)

ok Now hows is this setup...There is no one in my car at the back most of the time...so:
6.5" comp in the front.
5.25" co-axials at the back.
a Good Alpine HU.

for now thats all!!!
Sub + amp after 6 months...
hopefully this will be about 15K with trade in if possible.

Any idea how much I might get to trade in my current setup...?
Its stock ie. 2 comp in front and a cassette HU?
Thank a lot guys...
Old 9th February 2007, 15:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how much I might get to trade in my current setup...?
Its stock ie. 2 comp in front and a cassette HU?
Thank a lot guys...
hi guys,

Skoda with comps as stock??? really? was curious to know as i had an octavia earlier with a blau cassette HU it had tweeters and fr door speakers but are they comps?? where is the crossover?? please clarify if anyone can. also what skoda you have nanu??

IMO its not a good idea to trade in your stock ice system cause you wont get more than 2 - 2.5k...just keep it with you and when you plan to sell your car you can sell it with the stock system. i would never trade my stock ice.

is it the blaupunkt HU with the red display??

thanks
clipto

Last edited by clipto333 : 9th February 2007 at 15:24.
Old 9th February 2007, 15:35   #14
BHPian

Hey NOt sure if they are components or just 2 tweeters and 2 mid. I am just a novice on the audio issue
Mine is an Alpine HU Cassette stock, but I dont know the speakers. I didnt see no crossover anywhere....so they are most likely just 4 speakers...
mine is a 1.8Turbo Rider. 1.5 years old.
Old 9th February 2007, 15:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok Now hows is this setup...There is no one in my car at the back most of the time...so:
6.5" comp in the front.
5.25" co-axials at the back.
a Good Alpine HU.

for now thats all!!!
Sub + amp after 6 months...
hopefully this will be about 15K with trade in if possible.
That is the perfect solution!

HU: 10K
6.5" comps: 6K
5.25" co-axials: 4K
Total = 20K

I don't think you will get 5K if you trade in the stock HU & speakers. But maybe with discounts and trade-in you will be able to get this done with 15K. In any case, don't compromise too much on the equipment now (for the sake of 2K-3K budget adjt.), or you may regret getting lesser than good stuff later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Skoda with comps as stock??? really? was curious to know as i had an octavia earlier with a blau cassette HU it had tweeters and fr door speakers but are they comps?? where is the crossover??
Clipto, the stock speakers are probably wired in parallel with the stock tweeters. I don't think there is a crossover in the equation. Maybe their official line is that the tweeters come with "built-in" crossovers. Or not.

Most Viewed