Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 21:47   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The difference between similarly designed 75W and 100W amps is 1db! The 100W amp you used must have had more headroom than the 75W amp to sound so much better.
BTW most woofers are more limited by their physical excursion limits than thermal. Try feeding you 6" woofer 75W at 30Hz and see.[/quote]

Thanks Navin.
I am never able to understand the mystery between the sound db levels and RMS output of a speaker. One factor being the speaker sensitivity. I am not an engineer and come from Economics background. If you can throw some light on this, it would be great. If you can also explain the amp RMS connection with the speaker RMS connection, that would also be great. Any suggested reading (other than alreadu suggested on the ICE section)

I am using RF 100x2 (P450.2) amp. i don't know if it would have more head room than the 75 RMS Polk Momo amp or not.

Quote:
BTW most woofers are more limited by their physical excursion limits than thermal. Try feeding you 6" woofer 75W at 30Hz and see.
You are right. The point I was trying to make was that everything else remaining the same, a 100 RMS amp with ability to produce good amount of current will sound better with 125 RMS speaker than a 75 RMS amp. I may be wrong, but this is what I was able to understand after doing some reading on the internet.
Old 21st July 2007, 21:49   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi, im sorry for that. i got confused(maybe because of momo-mono) but why so rude? people make mistakes sometimes right? :-)

IMO, the comps are not giving up, the amp is. another reason could be the comps are crossed over lower than they should.

cheers
clip
Oh Clipto - If you think I was rude, I am really sorry. It was completely unintentional.
Old 22nd July 2007, 01:49   #33
BHPian

Since this thread has been started again, I would like to add my observation of the speakers. I have never heard a Polk system and even didn't knew that such a name existed in ICE until I joined T Bhp. Well the design of the grill is total turn off. Too much of chrome or whatever that shine stuff on the grill is.
Old 22nd July 2007, 09:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamballal View Post
i have the Focal Polyglass 165 V1 6.5'' component speakers
How much for the Focal polyglass?
Old 22nd July 2007, 11:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
Well the design of the grill is total turn off. Too much of chrome or whatever that shine stuff on the grill is.
Looks like grills are getting too much of attention...I believe we can choose not to use them and hide/protect speakers behind stock grills instead, isn't that a viable option??
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:54   #36
BHPian

Using stock grill is personal choice. Some would like the sober and the continuity look it gives, while other may like to display the brand of speakers they bought.

BTW I have Hertz DSK series speaker in my Swift. Can the stock grill be replaced by speaker grill ? It not that I want it do be done, but just want to see if it is possible.
Old 23rd July 2007, 09:43   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
You are right. The point I was trying to make was that everything else remaining the same, a 100 RMS amp with ability to produce good amount of current will sound better with 125 RMS speaker than a 75 RMS amp. I may be wrong, but this is what I was able to understand after doing some reading on the internet.
There are amps rated at 50W rms that can produce more current (at low impedances) than 100W amps. What I am saying is that in your case it the second amp's dynamic capability and NOT the difference in wattage that is making the difference. The difference is wattage is just 1db!

I have not read too much about audio. I am told the 2 books that are must reads are Vance Dickanson's Loudspeaker cookbook and a book by David Weams (I forget the title). Also ex-NY Times Audio editor (and co-founder of Stereo Rreview) Hans Fantel's articles (the ones in the NY times archives) are good reading.
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
There are amps rated at 50W rms that can produce more current (at low impedances) than 100W amps. What I am saying is that in your case it the second amp's dynamic capability and NOT the difference in wattage that is making the difference. The difference is wattage is just 1db!

I have not read too much about audio. I am told the 2 books that are must reads are Vance Dickanson's Loudspeaker cookbook and a book by David Weams (I forget the title). Also ex-NY Times Audio editor (and co-founder of Stereo Rreview) Hans Fantel's articles (the ones in the NY times archives) are good reading.
Thanks so much Navin. I understand that damping factor (I think that's what you meant by the dynamic capability) of amp makes a lot of difference because the impedance curve of a speaker is not linear. I also agree that amount of current that an amp produces at lower impedances has little connection with RMS. But it is really surprising to know that 25 RMS difference will only make 1 db difference. I will definitely go thru the suggested articles and will try to locate the books and see if they have good reviews, will buy them. I need to understand this, otherwise my soul will not rest in peace.
Old 23rd July 2007, 23:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
How much for the Focal polyglass?

i got the polyglass 165 v1 for 12000

mrp is 26000 on the box
Old 24th July 2007, 00:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

mrp is 26000 on the box
It is a bit on the expensive side for 12k , you could better options for that.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
It is a bit on the expensive side for 12k , you could better options for that.
LBM can you please tell me what are these better options at 12k. And why are they deemed better by you.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

mrp is 26000 on the box
You got an official piece with bill and warranty and MRP sticker for 12000?

The price isn't very shocking or anything since that is what the international MRP is close to, i.e. about 240 Euros, but it would be damn weird if it is a bill and warranty piece offered at such a high discount.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
LBM can you please tell me what are these better options at 12k. And why are they deemed better by you.
Infinity, Illusion Audio Luccent , Hertz HiEnergy (only 2k more but one can some discount also).

And I think you know why they are better.
Old 24th July 2007, 11:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
You got an official piece with bill and warranty and MRP sticker for 12000?

The price isn't very shocking or anything since that is what the international MRP is close to, i.e. about 240 Euros, but it would be damn weird if it is a bill and warranty piece offered at such a high discount.
Ya thats what, last time I checked their dealer told me the MRP was like 13-14K.
Old 27th July 2007, 17:18   #45
BHPian

have given the focal polyglass back will update u on what i get in a weeks time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks