Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:41   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A history of Indian companies that made audio equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
BPL. Known more for their excellent home appliances from back in the day, primarily due to the tie up with Sanyo, which resulted in just badge swaps in front of the appliance.
Thanks for the info on BPL; but wasn't this a British Company? As per what I know, the full form was British Physical Lab; or was that a different company? EDIT: Read on wiki that it's a Kerala based Indian company! So, you are right. But then why 'British' physical lab?

Also, someone mentioned Philips, which again is a Dutch company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Onida. They had a tie up with JVC such as the MX-S4 but they did try their hands with their own stereo too and they were good.
I still have an Onida VCR; still works!

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd September 2019 at 12:43.
Old 2nd September 2019, 15:28   #32
BHPian

Does Beltek qualify? I remember having a CD player or maybe DVD player from them, albeit a couple of decades ago.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
As per what I know, the full form was British Physical Lab; or was that a different company?
I can't be sure but I have heard the same thing too. BPL were also known for their medical equipment. Perhaps that has more to do with British Physical Labs.

Your Onida VCR is JVC underneath. Their earlier TV's were too. My uncle still has a working Onida 21 CRT which has the remote control pop out of the front. Again; a JVC on the inside.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I knew Laxman and his daughter were doing something for Norge. Is it still in operation? I would have assumed they closed after Shyam passed.
I've been there just a few months ago (to get some service on an amp I purchased years ago); Laxman is still very much active and seems to be running the show.
//HB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviK View Post
In NCR region, Ahuja & Santosh were quite prevalent till a decade back or so (for the low end, price sensitive consumer).

Also, another category that needs its place here is the bus/truck audio systems . This being the bottom end of price band, used to be ruled totally by local brands (tonytone, speedking are few names that spring to mind).
There are a lot of Ahuja speakers here in Karnataka in mofussil area theaters, temples, churches etc. Decent sound and quality for the price i guess..
As an aside, those days there was a huge craze in assembling music systems at home with various components sourced from various places and a sort of comparison and competition as to who had the best skill to make it etc.

Last edited by car love : 3rd September 2019 at 13:43.
Old 18th September 2020, 18:35   #36
BHPian

Are there any Lifestyle audio equipment manufacturers in India, specifically Earphones and Headphones. I had read Harman has RnD here for JBL any other brands?
Old 18th September 2020, 19:07   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Are there any Lifestyle audio equipment manufacturers in India, specifically Earphones and Headphones. I had read Harman has RnD here for JBL any other brands?
JBL/Harman are both Samsung brands now.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 17:33   #38
BHPian

Hi Folks - Anyone aware of technicians in cities like Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai or Bangalore who can repair amplifiers, equalizers and cassette decks made in the 70s and 80s from brands like Cosmic, Sonodyne, Philips, etc.?
Old 9th October 2023, 11:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Hi Folks - Anyone aware of technicians in cities like Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai or Bangalore who can repair amplifiers, equalizers and cassette decks made in the 70s and 80s from brands like Cosmic, Sonodyne, Philips, etc.?
I cannot specifically name any particular technician however, Budhwarpet area has a specific locality where multiple audio electronics shops are present and I have seen speakers, amplifier, EQ, mixing desks being repaired: https://maps.app.goo.gl/z7zHZcUSEU2jGEdY9

Several such shops in this area. (Not easy to miss since there are lot of lighting shops also in this area)
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks