Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2006, 13:56   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulzi View Post
some say woofer is for punch and basstube is for vibrations?? bass trubes are for small cars??? is it true?
Fists are for punch, legs are for kick.

There is no such correlation between 'woofers and basstubes'. In fact, I find it rather inappropriate to describe bass as punchy. It's a very vague term.

As for vibrations, all sound is vibrations. And for good bass, it is necessary that only the woofer cone be vibrating and nothing else.

Bass tubes are as diverse as subwoofer drivers themselves. The only common thing is that almost all of them are ported, cylinder-shaped enclosures.
Old 20th December 2006, 14:19   #137

so whats better..a bass tube or subwoofer?
Old 20th December 2006, 14:59   #138
Team-BHP Support

Thats a million dollar question my friend. And no one here will have that answer simply because it depends on your tastes.
If you like boomy bass with lots of reverberations then the bass tube. The subwoofer will give a tighter bass.
Old 20th December 2006, 15:43   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

This is ALL WRONG (in the glossary section too)

Listen up man - A tube is a subwoofer.

A subwoofer is sold in the open market in 2 ways -

As a driver - This can be either used while making your own custom enclosure, or in a Infinite Baffle (tray mount) application

As an Enclosure - where the company makes the enclosure (box) and sells you the entire unit.
Enclosues can be Sealed, ported, bandpass or tube type. All sounding different.
Old 20th December 2006, 19:17   #140
Team-BHP Support

Yup Sam I was just trying to make it simple. Both are subwoofers with different constructions. I wasnt clear in my choice of words and didnt want to go too much into details of construction. Sorry.
Old 13th February 2007, 15:09   #141
BHPian

Glossary-ice-terminology

Hi,

I need some clarity on Coaxials vs Components.

My understanding so far -

1) Coaxial consists of a midrange/woofer with a tweeter placed over the cone
2) Components consist of midrage/woofer speaker and a discrete tweeter along with a crossover component to split the frequencies.

My doubts

1) One of my friend had JBL GTO607 (Component) in the front and JBL GTO637 (Coax) in the rear both powered by HU on Swift. I tried listening to the front pair and rear pair of speakers seperately by adjusting the balance between front and rear.

Components (Front) - the midrange and high frequency sound being clearly reproduced but the low frequency range was totally missing.

Coax (Rear) - though the highfrequency wasnt crisp, on the whole it did well because it seemed to reproduce low frequency (bass) better than the components

Is it that the Coax does better in low frequency than Components?

2) If I'm not planning to install Subwoofers, how will all 4 coax or all 4 components sound for example, in Skoda Laura, all doors have tweeters, midrage and a third speaker (may be ones that produce low freq sound).

3) Will adding a JBL 60.4 add punch to an existing HU powered sub ? Will the 6in speakers be ready for the extra power and performance ?

Vishnu
Old 13th February 2007, 15:23   #142
Team-BHP Support

I would suspect that the Component should produce better defined bass than the coax. I dont know what you heard in the Swift but I would check if both front speakers have been wired in phase. Or maybe it is just a characterisitc of the JBL 607/637. Also if the highs are not very detailed the balance shifts towards the lows so the speaker can sound like it is producing more bass.

The Laura is a large car. it would be advisable to use 3 way components designed for it's door.

You cant power a Sub properly with any HU. An amp is almost mandatory, not optional.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th February 2007 at 20:25.
Old 13th February 2007, 15:32   #143
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't the co-axial with a bigger cone be able to produce lower frequencies better than the 6 inch component one ?
Old 13th February 2007, 15:35   #144
Team-BHP Support

To answer your questions:

1. The coaxials were kept in the boot so they had a large air volume assuming they were on a plank. This would produce larger bass.

The components on the other hand kept on the front door with almost no enclosure volume hence perceived as lower bass.

Also you may want to check the speaker polarities in the front as lack of bass element may also be due to inverted polarities.

2. 4 6" components will sound good in the laura. All can be placed in the stock door position. the laura takes 3 way components i think.

3. If you amp these with the 60.4 they will sound much better as they will now be recieving the power they need to drive them. A HU normally has only 10-20w rms whereas the amp will give 60w to each speaker. The speakers generally are of 80w rms.

But even if you put 4 compos there is no substitute to a sub. A sub will provide the low frequencies whereas the compos only provide midbass.

edit: esteem_lover: a 6X9 will provide lower bass than the 6" compos. this is because the 6X9 has a larger cone area.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th February 2007 at 15:37.
Old 13th February 2007, 16:37   #145
Senior - BHPian

One related question- people always vouch for components over coaxials for better sound quality. They are also priced reasonably higher as compared to similar coaxials. Can experts please explain justification behind this?

What I have found so far is that components can provide more direct paths for sound to listening positions, thereby reducing obstacles/reflections for high frequencies. Are there any other advantages too, or is it the ONLY reason?
(If the later is true, then I would assume that the sound improvement obtained by mounting tweeters at higher locations like pillars or panels behind ORVMs rather than coaxials which usually go inside doors or parcel tray, must be quite significant.... can it be confirmed?)
Old 13th February 2007, 16:45   #146
Senior - BHPian

newbies please browse around before starting a new thread or use Search function

navin , could you please merge this thread to the old one...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...inology-9.html
Old 13th February 2007, 17:02   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
What I have found so far is that components can provide more direct paths for sound to listening positions, thereby reducing obstacles/reflections for high frequencies. Are there any other advantages too, or is it the ONLY reason?
Hi Santosh!! Nice to see you posting

Also take into consideration the dedicated crossover in component sets that assist in tweaking your sound.

Oh and let the vet's and guru's do the actual explaining, I just thought Id add my 0.02ps while we wait
Old 13th February 2007, 19:50   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
One related question- people always vouch for components over coaxials for better sound quality. They are also priced reasonably higher as compared to similar coaxials. Can experts please explain justification behind this?

(If the later is true, then I would assume that the sound improvement obtained by mounting tweeters at higher locations like pillars or panels behind ORVMs rather than coaxials which usually go inside doors or parcel tray, must be quite significant.... can it be confirmed?)
It depends on how the manufacturer has designed the line. Some manufacturers pay as much detail to their coaxial as to their component. Hence the driver will be of similar specs, i.e. same voice coil size, magnet size, cone material, tweeter etc, and hence the same crossover as for the components can be used and is supplied with the coaxial. In such cases, there will not be much price difference between the coax and component from a production point of view. Only, the component will have extra tweeter mounting hardware accompanying in the gift box.

However, some manufacturers will choose to water down the coaxial versions of the line, and will use w-cone tweeters for the coaxes while the comps use edge driven domes, and will not supply a crossover for the coaxes etc. In such a format, there is bound to be a huge difference in both sound and price. This is common in entry to lower mid level lines. Sometimes, it is also a manufacturing limitation. The dome tweeter is too deep to be accomodated above the cone without having a very high tweeter post, if driver is a shallow chassis based one (mostly the case with entry level lines).

You are spot on about the direct path thing also. But that does not mean any cost addition for the manufacturer.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 13th February 2007 at 19:51.
Old 13th February 2007, 20:06   #149
Senior - BHPian

JBL comps definitely produce better output than coax....ditto for 3 other brands that i heard. but in my case, I could harly hear the front comps playing beacuse of sound imaging (I think)....time to contact Gunman I guess!!
Old 13th February 2007, 20:21   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
JBL comps definitely produce better output than coax....ditto for 3 other brands that i heard. but in my case, I could harly hear the front comps playing beacuse of sound imaging (I think)....time to contact Gunman I guess!!
JBL comps cost twice as much as the coaxials I think.

I just did not understand "harly hear the front comps playing beacuse of sound imaging".

P.S. I was looking forward to meet you at the Delhi meAt. You were described to me as an enticing piece of female undergarment. gr8guzzler (serial kisser of mumbailand, and the other cheap guest) and I tossed (not that tossed) to decide which one of us would hit on you, and I had actually won.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 13th February 2007 at 20:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks