Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2006, 09:52   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by delu
Here is my 2 cents..... I tried not to duplicate items already described with an exception where I felt needed.....
Thanks just a word of caution. IF these definitions are extracted from another website or publication you should state that. If you need to edit your post accordingly PM me and I'll do the needful. Ok?
Old 27th June 2006, 09:59   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
what are "2 way" and "4 way" speakers?
The objective of a co-axial speaker is to deliver (in absolute laymans terms) all the bass, midrange/vocal, and treble.
This cannot be faithfully achieved by one single speaker.

When you use 2 different kinds of speakers in tandem to do this work, it is called 2 way. 3 speakers in tandem will be called 3 way and so on.

The number of ways do NOT make a speaker better. In fact 4 and 5 way speakers (coaxial speakers for cars) are generally a commercial gimmick designed to fool you.
The objective is not to count the number of "ways" - the objective is for your speaker to reproduce all the different frequencies of the music.

A well designed 2 way, or 3 way coaxial speaker can achieve this result quite well.

Also, i have found that the 4 and 5 way speakers often do not really add any quality to the sound. In many cheap car speakers often the "super tweeter" is either just a cosmetic farce or a piezo-buzzer.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2006, 15:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Another Question - What is sound stage? nd sound imaging?
Old 27th June 2006, 21:09   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
Another Question - What is sound stage? nd sound imaging?
Sound stage is basically perception of music and sensing its depth, height and width when you listen to it. Think of a stage where different instruments are placed at different positions, distance and height now when you listen to it you can feel their actual direction and positioning even if you close your eyes. This has very close relation to imaging which is the capability of your system to reproduce each and every instrument as positioned at the time of recording. A sound stage is created through a sound image.

Now let the experts take from here.
Old 27th June 2006, 23:58   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
The objective of a co-axial speaker is to deliver (in absolute laymans terms) all the bass, midrange/vocal, and treble.
This cannot be faithfully achieved by one single speaker.

When you use 2 different kinds of speakers in tandem to do this work, it is called 2 way. 3 speakers in tandem will be called 3 way and so on.

The number of ways do NOT make a speaker better. In fact 4 and 5 way speakers (coaxial speakers for cars) are generally a commercial gimmick designed to fool you.
The objective is not to count the number of "ways" - the objective is for your speaker to reproduce all the different frequencies of the music.

A well designed 2 way, or 3 way coaxial speaker can achieve this result quite well.

Also, i have found that the 4 and 5 way speakers often do not really add any quality to the sound. In many cheap car speakers often the "super tweeter" is either just a cosmetic farce or a piezo-buzzer.

And these piezo tweeters produce that "keech keech" sound that i just hate. When I bought my Pioneer 5750 the shopkeeper told me to buy the Pio 6991 or 6990 or some such 5 way coax. The tweeters and mid on top looked like an alien with three eyes. The sound, to say the least, was bull. So like Sam said, go for good 2 or 3 way "well-designed" coaxes.
Old 7th July 2006, 00:27   #51
BANNED

Sub and Amp expln.

Guys, I am a total novice to audio jargon; hence, kindly bear with me.
What are Subs and Amps? What do they do?
Are they required while installing a sound system in a vehicle?
Won't the HU and the speakers do the job?
Old 7th July 2006, 01:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
Guys, I am a total novice to audio jargon; hence, kindly bear with me.
What are Subs and Amps? What do they do?
Are they required while installing a sound system in a vehicle?
Won't the HU and the speakers do the job?
BUddy Luv... Please refer post # 1 of this very thread!
Old 7th July 2006, 01:11   #53
BANNED

I have!! But that doesn't explain anything or what their individual functions are.
Old 7th July 2006, 01:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
I have!! But that doesn't explain anything or what their individual functions are.

AMP = AMPLIFIER - like the word says it AMPLIFIES the signal it receives - in this case from the HU - and feeds the speaker stronger signals... this is most times very good!

HU = HEAD UNIT - you know that!

SUB/SW = SUB-WOOFER (speakers that produce only low requencies usually less than 100hz) .. Then there are MIDBASS - that reproduces frequencies from about 75 hz till about 900 hz ... and MIDRANGE - that reproduces frequencies between about 900hz till about 3khz (or more). .. and TWEETERS - to reproduce high frequencies above that! If you use all of htem you technically have a FOUR WAY system!! ... you can also have a three way and a two way... ONE WAY??.. that is called FULL RANGE - YEs.. you get them too... not very popular though!

5. MONOBLOCK = Amplifiers with a single channel of amplification - usually used to drive subs.

To answer your other question... YES an HU and speakers can do the job... and even in speakers you get all the above choice and a couple! - but an amp and sub make the sound more complete - you kid of hear it like it was recorded - presuming of course you have a combination of equipment needed to reproduce all the frequencies...

Use the search function and Read up...Am sure you will get the hang of things midway thru the 100th thread...
kb100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2006, 14:37   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Why a 4 channel amp?

A lot of Audio Innocents have no idea what a 4 channel amplifier is and why they need it.

Here is a typical example of a 4 channel amplifier and it's usage. For example this amplifier give out 150W per channel and 600W when bridged. Numbers vary, depending on the amplifier you use.

Thanks to Tobias Runge for these slides.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2006, 14:39   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

How is an amplifier connected?

Thanks to Tobias Runge for this slide too.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2006, 15:40   #57
Senior - BHPian

gud .. good sam my man.... here is from my side about bridged install

http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm
Old 11th July 2006, 18:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

What is GAIN ?
My active sub has a control for it.
Old 11th July 2006, 18:31   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, put very simply, a gain functions pretty much as a volume control.

However in simple terms, gain is generally a master volume control that you set and forget and then you change the volume using the volume control on your HU.
Old 11th July 2006, 18:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

thats is right sam

here is some thing from my side.....

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

I love the above site is it very well explained .......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks