Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2019, 16:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed

Ford has previewed the next-generation SYNC 4 in-car entertainment system. It will be available on touchscreen displays from 8-inches to 15.5-inches. The system will offer different looks and capabilities depending on the vehicle and screen size.

Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed-sync-4-1.jpg

The new system comes with an option to multi-task. The 12-inch screens will support split screens with up to 9 different features, while the 15.5-inch screens come with a new feature called Adaptive Dash Cards. The cards will display information from various apps like navigation and music and also lets you control them without having to open the app.

As standard, SYNC 4 comes with cloud connectivity. Navigation is connected to the internet and is updated with traffic and construction information. The system can also share parking space availability and prices. It also comes with machine learning capability to learn the user's preferences and make suggestions, voice recognition to search for places and wireless connectivity for Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and apps such as Waze and Alexa.

Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed-sync-4-2.jpg

The new SYNC 4 system will come with digital owner's manual as well as how-to videos and SiriusXM satellite radio.

Ford claims that the SYNC 4 system has twice the computing power of SYNC 3. It is expected to be introduced in some Ford vehicles in 2020.

Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed-sync-4-3.jpg

Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed-sync-4-4.jpg

Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed-sync-4-5.jpg

Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed-sync-4-6.jpg

Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed-sync-4-7.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 31st October 2019 at 16:48.
ChiragM is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 18:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed

The UI looks great, very well designed and aesthetically pleasing.

Wonder what maps they are using for the navigation system. I've always wondered why companies do not choose to use Google's Map data (not Google Maps Navi, just the data). The only in-car system I've seen with Google's map data is Tesla.
ts1506 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 19:25   #3
BHPian

Looks very good and if Sync 3 is anything to go by than it should be fairly smooth and polished. I just hope Ford makes it available it more trims and vehicles unlike now where the Figo doesn't get it and Ecosport has it in the most expensive trim only.
Speedshift is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 08:18   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Ford has previewed the next-generation SYNC 4 in-car entertainment system.
Looks amazing . The Sync 3 of cheaper Fords is better than the ICE interface even of 50+ lakh German cars. Ford has really got the software + interface bang on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
The only in-car system I've seen with Google's map data is Tesla.
Tesla's deployment is unique. It uses Google's map data, but provides navigation instructions from another source. I believe Google Maps doesn't allow anyone to integrate its navigation (unless its via its own app - like Android Auto).
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 12:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope they manage to improve the update process too. I have had multiple problems with our two Sync 3 systems. The map could not be updated for more than a year, whilst Ford tried to figure it out. Even regular updates during a regular service takes way too long.

I have yet to find the first Ford mechanic / engineer who has the skills and the knowledge to trouble shoot Sync. When it works it is fine, when it does not you are in for a lengthy session at Ford.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 13:27   #6
BHPian

Remind me - are these upgrades generally backward compatible? i.e. should folks with Sync 3 even dream of getting upgraded to Sync 4 just via software update, either over the air or via USB drive?
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 13:29   #7
BHPian

The interface looks amazing. The best feature which was highly in demand was the wireless Apple car play. You won't be needing inbuilt apps. Wireless Apple car play would do the job. Expect this in most of the 2020 models.
Old 1st November 2019, 14:00   #8
BHPian

Great news.
The awesome Sync infotainment system has no rivals equivalents in cars below 25 lakhs.
But Ford decided to remove Sync 3 from 12 lakhs Titanium+ EcoSport.
Indians love the interiors of cars (even more than safety features). Eg. Hyundai.
Sync 3 is available even in base models of Ford UK, US.
It should be available from atleast Titanium variants onwards in India.
Arwin07 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 14:38   #9
BANNED

Ford gives a preview of next-gen Sync 4 system

Highlights of the next gen Sync 4 system are:

- Heavily redesigned UI.

- Complete wireless experience to users, users don't need to plug-in their mobiles for using Apple Car Play and Andriod Auto, and also wireless charging is provided.

- To be equipped with touchscreen systems ranging in sizes from 8-inch to 15.5-inch depending on vehicle it was installed. Also looks and capabilities will be adapted to suit the vehicle it was installed in.

- Comes with enhanced multi-tasking capabilities, also comes with split screen capabilities to enable multiple users to use different applications simultaneously.

- The 15.5-inch display will have recently used and popular features shown at the bottom of the screen as interactive widgets or ‘adaptive dash cards’.

- Comes equipped with cloud connectivity, Ford says that cloud connectivity will be standard on the Sync 4 which will not only result in sat-nav maps being updated with the latest traffic information, but will also make possible voice recognition that can be operated via natural speech commands.

- No problem in case of no internet connectivity, the company adds that while cloud connectivity will be at the forefront, the system will have enough on-board processing power to not suffer from performance issues in areas of low network signals.
Quote:
Ford has revealed that the Sync 4 system will be available on select Ford vehicles starting from 2020. However, this announcement pertains to the global market and it remains to be seen if this new piece of tech makes it to our shores, where the American auto major has entered into a joint venture (JV) with home-grown carmaker, Mahindra. The slew of products planned for our market under the JV are expected to be built on common platforms and powertrains, however each company is touted to have a unique top hat, cabin design and driving dynamics for its own offerings to ensure sufficient differentiation between their products.

Ford’s current crop of vehicles in India, including the Freestyle crossover, Aspire sedan and EcoSport and Endeavour SUVs come equipped with the previous-gen Sync 3 infotainment system that covers the basics well by offering Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. If the new Sync 4 system is brought to India, it will give the company an even footing vis-à-vis players like Hyundai, Kia and MG which boast of their own smart connectivity solutions already having been launched in our market earlier this year.
Source: Autocar India
Attached Thumbnails
Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed-sync-4-sys-pic-1.jpg  

Ford SYNC 4 in-car entertainment previewed-sync-4-sys-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by wheelguy : 2nd November 2019 at 14:49.
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 18:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Remind me - are these upgrades generally backward compatible? i.e. should folks with Sync 3 even dream of getting upgraded to Sync 4 just via software update, either over the air or via USB drive?
To sound greedy, i really wish Ford provides existing Sync 3 in "All New EcoSport" to get upgraded to Sync 4, though it is understandable there will be few features/functionality missing. But at least it will help to keep the latest version for few more years.
But to be realistic, i don't think Ford is going to provide that software upgrade to existing cars. I think it will be available only for new cars launched in 2020.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 22:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Understand that the latest version of Sync 3 is version 3.3.

I currently have the Sync 3 version 3.0 which I updated from version 2.3
by usb mode (Ford Endeavour 2017 model). Now Ford India has stopped the updates through usb.

Has anyone tried or updated their Sync 3 through service center?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks