Team-BHP - Unmatched Sounds with Infinity + JBL on Swift
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Unmatched Sounds with Infinity + JBL on Swift (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/21574-unmatched-sounds-infinity-jbl-swift.html)

Hi Friends,

After spending lot of time on Team BHP ICE threads I decided upon the stereo for my Swift DDSi. The biggest constraint in choosing my ICE was space, I did not want to sacrifice the small boot that Swift gives so was forced to forego Subwoofers. To compensate that I decided to go in for amp powered high RMS speakers.

HU : Pioneer 4950
Amp : JBL 60.4 4 ch Amp
Front : 6.5" Infinity Reference 6010cs 90 w RMS
Rear : JBL GTO936 6x9 Oval Speakers 100 w RMS

The first decision was to decide between Amp and HU powering for the speakers. But then this decision was pretty easy, Amps can deliver clear sound over a wide frequency than HU which constrained by space/heat norms etc. Also powering good speakers with 22 W RMS (which HU offers) dint sound like a great idea to me, so chose JBL 4 ch amp so that I could power all speakers off the amp.

The next decision was whether to go for subwoofers, but then as I mentioned earlier, I was not prepared to sacrifice Swift's boot so I choose the next best option of installing 6 x 9 oval speakers. I found JBL GTO937 to be the best choice for the set its 100w RMS speakers with decent bass.

Ah, lets come to the most difficult call I had to make, it was between JBL component speakers and Infinity speakers. One of my friend has a Swift with JBL GTO 6.5" comps, we tried to tweak it to its best performance with equalizers and crossover config but sad, it dint give the punch I wanted. Basically the front speakers were more of glorified tweeters. So I gave a try with Inifinity, it burnt a hole in my pocket though.

The speaker cone was made of some strong nylon like material and the magnet was strong. Since it was protruding outside I went in for a spacer to fit it in the swift front doors.

The tweeters that came with Infinity speakers were superb looking. They came with nice mounts, these mounts will go into the door panels giving a upmarket finish. These tweeters also supported turning them in all directions.

But when fitting guy had to drill a hole, I was really afraid, but he did an excellent job. After he finished the work , the hole was looking like factory done.

The crossovers, I dint want them to be in visible location, so got it mounted behind the HU

I used Boss cable set for powering the AMP and for connecting it to the HU, it was considerably inexpensive, since this was not an amp which sucks too much power I decided to settle with Boss.

Now everything is set to blast !!!!

Experience
========

The sound was really lively and power packed. The sound staging created for the front seat passengers was one of the best that I have ever heard. It took the songs to a new dimension, there were lot of sounds, jingles and echos that I have never heard before in other systems.

After tweaking a lot with the Amp in freq range (crossover), I was able to make the Infinity front comps give a little of bass too, they handle it with ease. The GTO no doubt handles the low freq with ease. So with both and front speakers, I got a decent level of Bass which was the best I have seen in systems without subwoofers.

The fittment exceeded my expectations, especially the tweeter mounts, set the amp under the copassenger seat. Thanks to Infinity speakers and JBL amp that created a difference for the money spent !

Vishnu

congrat on your new setup dude...enjoy to the fullest...

Rev

Hey,

Thanks for the photographs, so that we get the real feel.

How much did u pay for the Infinitys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmitri (Post 378722)
How much did u pay for the Infinitys?

I think I paid ~7.5k

Congrats on the setup, vishnugs. You're obviously very happy with it :)

Nice of you to put up the pics too. How about some pics of the tweeter mount, buddy? I'd love to see it in the finished stage.

Congratz on the setup, Yup why not post the pic of finished installation.

Details of pricing would be also great

Wow man, that's a well written report on your music system. Didja get 936 or 937 rears?

Sam, The rears look like 937 to me. see the second pic.

Congrates for new setup and that was nice report with good pics.

Hi Vishnugs,

I had installed exactly a similar set up for my SWIFT. and the decision making process was also similar to that of yours. I first got advice from SAM and then proceeded with JBL AMP. Settled for Infinity for the front and JBL for the rear and I have deferred the decision on Sub for future.

Can you tell me, whether the cross overs are set to Flat or otherwise, like LP for the rear and HP for the Front or vice versa. Though my installer had it tuned well, I intend to have a grip of tuning and would like to know about the tuning options available.

In the process, I could get a nice post on Amplifier tuning for BMW, which should be applicable for tuning any Amp. here is the link.

Bavarian Soundwerks presents: AMPLIFIER TUNING GUIDE - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Looks like you are from Chennai.
From which shop did you install all these stuffs in chennai?

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldsun (Post 379184)
Hi Vishnugs,

I had installed exactly a similar set up for my SWIFT. and the decision making process was also similar to that of yours. I first got advice from SAM and then proceeded with JBL AMP. Settled for Infinity for the front and JBL for the rear and I have deferred the decision on Sub for future.

Can you tell me, whether the cross overs are set to Flat or otherwise, like LP for the rear and HP for the Front or vice versa. Though my installer had it tuned well, I intend to have a grip of tuning and would like to know about the tuning options available.

In the process, I could get a nice post on Amplifier tuning for BMW, which should be applicable for tuning any Amp. here is the link.

Bavarian Soundwerks presents: AMPLIFIER TUNING GUIDE - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Great !!! Nice to know that you have the same setup in your car. Actually I have not kept it in Flat mode, in flat all frequencies flow to the front speakers which causes distortion at high volumes, so I have set it to HP (not very sure, will confirm tonight if it is LP or HP) with the crossovers adjusted so that all channels sound clear even at high volumes.

Did you mount the tweeters in the same fashion?

The tuning article is great, very informative...will retune my amp tonight...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 378893)
Wow man, that's a well written report on your music system. Didja get 936 or 937 rears?

Its GTO937 actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock18 (Post 379280)
Looks like you are from Chennai.
From which shop did you install all these stuffs in chennai?

I'm from Bangalore...I hand picked items from various points right from SP road to Majestic to BTM extrafittings vendor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 378854)
Congratz on the setup, Yup why not post the pic of finished installation. Details of pricing would be also great

Detailed Pricing

JBL 60.4 Amp - 6200
Infinity 6010cs - 7500
JBL GTO937 - 4000
Pioneer 4950 HU - 5100
Wiring Kit - 1500
Installation - 600

Will post finished pics tomorrow...

are the jbl 937 and 60.4 with bill and warranty cause those prices are way lower than MRP atleast here in bombay.