Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2007, 19:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

I'm also the bass-boost off kind of guy. It just artificially enhances the loudness of the bass. Not to my taste.
Old 1st March 2007, 12:08   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
the JBL amps is for 7999 .
I think that is a 2 ch. 60.2. it is a fine amp but if oyu need 4 ch. the pio 6100 give you 4 ch. for 7K. The difference being the JBL amp has a BILL and WARRANTY the Pio does not.

LBM, you surpise me. NO bass BOOST? LOL.
Old 1st March 2007, 12:12   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think that is a 2 ch. 60.2. it is a fine amp but if oyu need 4 ch. the pio 6100 give you 4 ch. for 7K. The difference being the JBL amp has a BILL and WARRANTY the Pio does not.

LBM, you surpise me. NO bass BOOST? LOL.
What is your recommendation? ON or Off?

Also, what could be the cost of a 4 channel amp from JBL and will it be any better than 4 channel Pio 6200?
Old 1st March 2007, 12:19   #34
Team-BHP Support

I dont use Bass Boost or any sort of EQ but please use YOUR OWN ears.

The JBL 60.4 sells for about 10K. Sam is the JBL man here. PM him for correct prices. As far as the sound is concerned of the current JBL amps I have heard only the JBL 75.4 and it is a much more powerful amp than the 6100 (also almost twice the price).
Old 1st March 2007, 12:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I'm also the bass-boost off kind of guy. It just artificially enhances the loudness of the bass. Not to my taste.
Hydra, Bass Boost is sometimes useful when you are using subs that are incapable of playing very low due to either their inherent nature, or because they are in a box smaller than what would be required. Also, due to any of the above or other reasons, if there is a hump in the bass, engaging bass boost can help to actually smoothen out the response. There would not be anything artifical about that. Also, users with potent subs that have a flat response, sometimes actually like the enhancement of low frequencies beyond actual and enjoy it. That is a taste thing, music and how you like to listen to it. When I was younger, I used to have bass boost on max. Somehow, I have changed my choice of music to a particular extent, and the way I listen to it.
Old 1st March 2007, 13:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

B&T, that was an eye-opener. I guess I'll keep an open mind about this then. What I said was based on my experience with my current sub-amp and sub. When one of those get swapped out for something better, I'll be sure to try out the bass-boost and see if the output sounds better.

I was a total Bass-head upto just a few years back too
Old 1st March 2007, 17:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I understood this now:

Option 1

Sony 554: Bridged to power the rear speakers
Pio 6200: 2 channels for Sub ( JBL Bass tube) and 2 channels for Front Comps

Option 2

Sony 554: Power the sub-woofer
Pio 6200: 2 channels for front comps and 2 channels for rear speakers

Which option to go for, decide
I think in all that bass boost option on and off, we forgot this decision making, please advise which option is good to go for? Thanks

Regarding Sub, one final question, will the JBL bass tube too boomy? I just hope does not overwhelm the vocals and other parts of the music? Pls advise so we can close this matter.
Old 1st March 2007, 21:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think in all that bass boost option on and off, we forgot this decision making, please advise which option is good to go for? Thanks

Regarding Sub, one final question, will the JBL bass tube too boomy? I just hope does not overwhelm the vocals and other parts of the music? Pls advise so we can close this matter.

as discussed earlier If you have read it before it clearly mention it is ones choice to enable the bass boost.....so you can trust you ears for that....

the tube can easily tuned down...so dont worry to much....
Old 2nd March 2007, 10:19   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think in all that bass boost option on and off, we forgot this decision making, please advise which option is good to go for? .
I'd try option 1 first.
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:28   #40
BANNED

I would've suggested the second option but I think that amp can only do 4/3 channel.
So, it can't be bridged for a 2 channel output or a single channel output. Read that somewhere earlier. Somebody please clarify.

Have you cleared the doubts regarding your sub(s)?? Or will you get a new DVC Sub??
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:55   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I would've suggested the second option but I think that amp can only do 4/3 channel.
So, it can't be bridged for a 2 channel output or a single channel output. Read that somewhere earlier. Somebody please clarify.

Have you cleared the doubts regarding your sub(s)?? Or will you get a new DVC Sub??
I am , navin is suggesting option 1 and you option 2. Regarding sub, still contemplating going for a JBL bass tube or JBL Woofer in a box, what is the suggestion on this one? Btw, what is a DVC sub?
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

mobike008, unless you use a DVC (= Dual Voice Coil) sub, you can't use all of a 4-ch amp to power it. If it is a DVC, you can bridge 2 channels of the 4 ch and feed one voice coil, and bridge the remaining 2 channels and feed the other voice coil.

If it is an SVC (Single Voice Coil) sub, you will be able to bridge 2 channels of the 4-ch amp and feed that single coil. The remaining 2 channels of the 4-ch amp will lie idle in your case -- you have another 4-ch amp to power the front & rear speakers. Most 4-ch amps cannot be bridged to one channel. I don't think either of your 4-ch amps can be bridged to 1 channel, anyway.

OR, you will have to use 2 SVC subs -- the 4-ch amp can power them without any channel lying idle.
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:20   #43
BANNED

Quote:
OR, you will have to use 2 SVC subs -- the 4-ch amp can power them without any channel lying idle.
And lot of show + thump + clear bass + satisfaction!!!
Get some basic SVC subs from JBL, Hertz, Pioneer etc.... put them in seal/ported boxes according to your preferemces!

Or just get a Bass tube and go forward with your OPTION 1. That's just fine. Would like to know what model of comps do you have in front???

Go thru the Glossary thread (Thanks, it is sticky again) to know the terms like SVC, DVC, Tube, TL etc...
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:48   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mobike008, unless you use a DVC (= Dual Voice Coil) sub, you can't use all of a 4-ch amp to power it. If it is a DVC, you can bridge 2 channels of the 4 ch and feed one voice coil, and bridge the remaining 2 channels and feed the other voice coil
Thanks a bunch for your clear explanation, things are now moving from hazy to clear.

If i use option 1, then i have to use 4-channels of 1 amp to power the woofer and front comps. Which is inadequate as per your explanation above. And, if i go for a DVC sub then i have to have 1 4-channel amp dedicated to the DVD sub. Correct me , if i am wrong here.

Also, which Brands/models have DVD subs? Is JBL 12" bass tube is SVC or DVC sub?
Old 2nd March 2007, 13:00   #45
Team-BHP Support

You get both DVC and SVC JBL subs. I was under the impression that you already had a SVC sub. If you dont and are looking for a DVC sub then use option 2. Pio for front and rear and sony for the sub.

Most Viewed