Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2007, 18:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Problems with ICE in my Viva Crdi

I am extremely unhappy with how my set-up has turned out. I think i have to tweak it a bit more ( read that as spending a bit more) to make it sound better. Current Set-up specs is:

HU: PIO 6850
Amp: Sony 554 ( 4 Channel)
Sub: Pioneer 6inch or 12 inch and 800 watts or 1200 watts not sure about that too.
Tweeters: PIO TS20
Comps: Blaupunkt
Rear: JBL GTO 937 Co-axials

Problem

HU: It is just great, so many features. Indeed droolable
Amp: Not sure, how it is connected. I think 2 channels bridged to Sub and 2 channels bridged to the HU
Sub: when i increase the volume, the woofer cracks and the sound gets horribly distorted, especially if i lift the boot and play loud, it is disgusting.
Tweeters: Should I keep them coz my current set-up has too much of jingle and jangle and very less of thump ( bass)
Comps: When i increase the volume, the component speakers installed in front doors make a cracking noise, which i assume it should not make. Either the comps are not getting enough power or something else is wrong.

Note: SUB and Tweeters are almost 4 years old extracted my old car ( Santro)

Solution Requested

a) What is going wrong with my existing set-up?
b) What is the cheapest solution to get the best of my current set-up?
c) I am thinking of going for a better SUB. Should i go for JBL Bass Tube or JBL SUB in a ported Box? What is its cost? If i just get the woofer, will my current AMP support it?
d) Please post solutions with approximate costs

I have already spent close to 30K on existing set-up and presently cash strapped, so need the most economic solution.

Thanks
Mobike008

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th February 2007 at 18:18. Reason: typo
Old 27th February 2007, 19:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

get a amp for the sub as the sony amp is not able to provide the juice to all the stuff installed.....

also try to remove the TS-20 as they will make the sound worse that improving it......

about your sub which one it is if 12 inch which model...and I thing there is n 6 inch model there.....if the sub is to old get a bass tube it will satisfied your needs.....
Old 27th February 2007, 19:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

First of all remove those TS20.
than get a good 4 channel amp and bridge the sub to amp.

BTW which subwoofer model do you have ?
Old 27th February 2007, 19:34   #4
BHPian

Check the connections from the Amp, seems to have a problem there.
Also, its advisable to have a mono block for the sub if you want more bass.
Old 27th February 2007, 19:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, (as the earlier posters have also pointed out) your problems are:

1) The TS20s. Though not directly related to the "cracking" sound, removing them will make a whole lot of improvement in the sound immediately.

2) The Sony amp. They never sound good enough anyway. And in this case, it are struggling to feed the sub and your comps, and not succeeding (= the "cracking" sound).

The current sub maybe all right. But if you are planning on changing, I'd suggest the JBL Ported Sub-box (GTO 1204BR). It costs about 9K, if I'm not mistaken.

But feeding that sub from your current amp may not improve things. If I were you, I'd change the amp first (a Pio 6100 should do the job at about 7K). Then if the (current) sub sounds all right, I'd leave it as it is for a while, and upgrade to the JBL Sub-in-a-ported-box later.
Old 28th February 2007, 10:27   #6
BANNED

Mobi.... I am very much surprised that you managed to live with those TS20!! It was very much emphasised earlier that you remove those jingle jingle thringle from your setup. Please do that atleast now.
For your tastes, I would recommend a 12" Bass tube. That 6" or 12" thingys you have has confused us from long time. Please make sure what you have. C'mon! You can do it.

Get a decent amp and a good installer. That will solve your problems I think.
Old 28th February 2007, 10:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I suggest you keep the TS20.

Put them in a small box, facing each other. Box size 14"WX 14"DX16"H with 5 sides. Bottom open.
Then connect them to a powerful amplifier. No crossover will be necessary as they have an inline bass blocker.

Catch lying scum/villian/thief. Place box over head and gradually turn up the volume on this this torture device till you have the truth. Guaranteed results in a minute.
A torture device that is well within Indian law. Nobody can arrest you, what will the complain read? Usne mere kaan mein speaker bajaya?

However please note
1) Device will not work on stone deaf villiany.
2) Device will work only once per villian. Post first use, refer to line 1 above.

Unlike what these gurus tell you, according to me TS20s are not all useless.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 28th February 2007 at 10:45.
Old 28th February 2007, 10:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I suggest you keep the TS20.

Put them in a small box, facing each other. Box size 14"WX 14"DX16"H with 5 sides. Bottom open.
Then connect them to a powerful amplifier. No crossover will be necessary as they have an inline bass blocker.

Catch lying scum/villian/thief. Place box over head and gradually turn up the volume on this this torture device till you have the truth. Guaranteed results in a minute.
A torture device that is well within Indian law. Nobody can arrest you, what will the complain read? Usne mere kaan mein speaker bajaya?

However please note
1) Device will not work on stone deaf villiany.
2) Device will work only once per villian. Post first use, refer to line 1 above.

Unlike what these gurus tell you, according to me TS20s are not all useless.
Sam, seriously your a riot, i was seriously thinking it is useful when you began your sentence above, then it finally dawned on me

Ok, now i am going to do the following and let you guys know before evening:

a) Check the model number of my woofer and let you guys know
b) It is clear now, i get another amp a better one. Please suggest models,cost and what should be connected to the new amp
c) Like suggested, i will first test with the new amp and if everything is back on track then will hold on to sub-woofer purchase for later

d) if not, then will go buy a woofer too. JBL Bass tube is good or ported box is fine? What exactly are the differences?
Old 28th February 2007, 10:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

I feel it is more of a connections problem than the hardware itself. agreed that the sony amp does not win many votes here, but i do have the same amp & it has not failed to feed the sub & front speakers. Just check the polarity of the speaker wires & get a decent installer to have a look.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 28th February 2007 at 11:12.
Old 28th February 2007, 10:59   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A bass tube is fantastic VFm, loud and deep. However it is a bit boomy. If tat is your thing, nothing like it.
A ported enclosure is tighter, less loud but a little more precise. Also a little more expensive.
A sealed enclosure is the tightest, however reduced sensitivity means it is least loud and requires more power to drive. However is most accurate.

If you like your music loud, fun and bassy, most people prefer tubes. ALso because they're not expensive.
Old 28th February 2007, 11:02   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I feel it is more of a connections problem than the hardware itself. agreed that the sony amp does not win many votes here, but i do have the same amp & it has not failed to feed the amp & front speakers. Just check the polarity of the speaker wires & get a decent installer to have a look.
completely. Moderator normally_crazy has the same amplifier, connected to a set of 6" components in the front and a 10" bass tube in the rear. And he's pleased as a punch.
Old 28th February 2007, 11:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam, Can you give me the model numbers for JBL Bass tube and ported box and its approximate prices?

Any discount if i tell them i am your close pal?

Also, waiting to know about the amp models and pricing, thanks guys
Old 28th February 2007, 11:10   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I
HU: PIO 6850
Amp: Sony 554 ( 4 Channel)
Sub: Pioneer 6inch or 12 inch and 800 watts or 1200 watts not sure about that too.
Tweeters: PIO TS20
Comps: Blaupunkt
Rear: JBL GTO 937 Co-axials
1. what are the blaupunkt components you have?
2. A 6" sub? that must be 12". A model number might offer a clue. How is it installed? in a Box? free air? does the box have a hole (port)?

a) remove the TS20. Dont throw them away yet...
b) add a Pio 6200 amp (7K) - cheapest decent amp for the front components and sub
c) Use the 554 bridged for the rear speakers (JBL 937) turn down the gains to 30% or less. The 554 can drive the 12" sub but it is a bit grainy. It will do fine for the rear. another option is to use the 6200 bridged to drive your fornt components and the 554 for the sub and 937s.

d) If front components are decent you should already be half to decent dound
e) if the sub is a Pio 306C in a sealed box (no holes or ports) let us know the size of box (actually we'd love to know the internal volume but the external dimensions will offer a clue).

we'll use the TS20 later after we finish the basics.

Last edited by navin : 28th February 2007 at 11:13.
Old 28th February 2007, 11:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sam, Can you give me the model numbers for JBL Bass tube and ported box and its approximate prices?
Any discount if i tell them i am your close pal?
There are 2 tubes, CS1004T(10") and CS1204T(12"). There are about 2 or 3 different boxes. The ported is called GTO1204BR. You can see them in many places in Hyderabad. I am sure satish_appasani knows all the places lol. Minister road and ambassador road and executive road and what not. Call or PM him, he is quite a helpful dude.

Sure you can try telling them you're my pal. Might help, no guarantees
Old 28th February 2007, 11:33   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Sure you can try telling them you're my pal. Might help, no guarantees
You may get a discount or get stuck with an unpaid beer bill or worse :-) LOL Just kidding!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks