Team-BHP - My First Car PC Install - Research and Planning Stage
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   My First Car PC Install - Research and Planning Stage (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/21737-my-first-car-pc-install-research-planning-stage.html)

:Shockked: Wow....What a great forum....I just googled for some info and came across about this site.

I am going to start my Car PC install very soon. Most of my planning has been done and I have purchased some Parts and waiting for some. Fabrication is already planned, once I receive my equipments I will start my install. Bellow are the list of HW I am going to use in Car PC.

1. Dell Latitude D620 Laptop, (Dual Core CPU, 1 Gig RAM, 120 GB HDD, 17" Widescreen LCD)
2. Dell X1 Port Replicator(SPDIF Digital Audio, COM port, 4 Port USB).
3. 300 W Power Inverter (Yet to receive) or DC to DC Power adapter for Dell Port Replicator.
4. JVC KD-DV 4204 DVD Headunit.
5. Pioneer Digital Sound processing Unit(Yet to Receive)
6. 8 Channel Pioneer Amplifier(Yet to Receive)
7. Rearview Camera(Yet to Receive)
8. RF Mini Keyboard with Builtin Mouse Pointer.
9. RF Media Remote Control
10. In-Dash Motorized Touch Screen VGA Monitor(Yet to receive)
11. GPS Receiver(Yet to receive)
12. OBD Scantool(Yet to receive)

Detailed about the HW and Install I will post once I start my install. SW and Frontend I will post later.

I need everyones help arround to finish my install.

Thank You
--Ranjit

Welcome to TBHP, sys_whiz! All the best with your project.

If you haven't seen it yet, you might find this thread useful;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...brication.html

which 8-ch amp, pioneer digital processing unit your are getting....

and which speakers are you going to use.....

and most importantly which car?

Why do you need a head unit if you are fitting a laptop anyways. It can play everything.
Get a secondry LCD screen instead. So you can plug in the laptop in some corner and route the display to roof mounted LCD

Sys Whiz,

Hello. I have a few questions on your setup.
Why a Laptop in a car?
There are better options.
Why a Dell Latitude?
Again, better choices out there. (I use the D620 , in fact I am typing from it right now) The Latitude Series are pure office laptops, reliable stable built to last. But in an Automobile you are looking for multimedia features rather than a workhorse for outlook and other office apps.
An Inspiron is a better choice, if you are stuck on Dell. Lat D620 has no s-video ports and has 4 usb ports. Connectivity options for multimedia will not be as good as a made for multimedia pc/laptop.
Lastly there are better tools than Scantool. PM me if you want details.
Cheers,
AB.

Again Woooow.....I posted just 4 Hrs back and got 4 replys.....I am damn sure I am going to get great support and help from the members out here...I went through the forum where Ankur displayed his project...This is an excellent install. I learned a lot from this thread too.

Thank You

Quote:

which 8-ch amp, pioneer digital processing unit your are getting....
Sorry my mistake....I was doing research on pioneer while I was writing this post and instead of writing Alpine, I wrote pioneer. Anyways I am going to use Alpine PXA-H701 DSP unit which is a Digital Dolby and DTS compatibility and supports 8 Channels. It has also Digital in, which I can connect with my LAPTOP SPDIF port for digital experience.

Quote:

and which speakers are you going to use.....
Currently I have Sony Xplod Speakers (6938 for Back and 1640 for Front)and Sub, going to buy...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheap_deal (Post 382650)
and most importantly which car?

My Car is Maruti Suzuki Baleno.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 382656)
Why do you need a head unit if you are fitting a laptop anyways. It can play everything.
Get a secondry LCD screen instead. So you can plug in the laptop in some corner and route the display to roof mounted LCD

Already I have a HU fitted in my car and thought of using it....For just short distance and quick travell I will not like to boot up my laptop.....may be just FM without booting up PC. I have plan how to integrate both the HU and Laptop with the DSP Amp and switch between them. Will post if anyone interested....

Thank You

Quote:

Originally Posted by babhishek (Post 382695)
Sys Whiz,

Hello. I have a few questions on your setup.
Why a Laptop in a car?
There are better options.

The main reason I am planning to use the Laptop is due to security reason. In India security is a major concern. When I am out of my car I can carry my laptop with me. The 2nd factor I considered is laptops are more rigid to schoks and heat than PCs....But still to safe guard the laptop, I am planning somekind of Shock Observer enclosure...Will post once I finish doing thos. I know there are some pros and cons of using this.

Quote:

Why a Dell Latitude?
Again, better choices out there. (I use the D620 , in fact I am typing from it right now) The Latitude Series are pure office laptops, reliable stable built to last. But in an Automobile you are looking for multimedia features rather than a workhorse for outlook and other office apps.
An Inspiron is a better choice, if you are stuck on Dell. Lat D620 has no s-video ports and has 4 usb ports. Connectivity options for multimedia will not be as good as a made for multimedia pc/laptop.
Lastly there are better tools than Scantool. PM me if you want details.
Cheers,
AB.
Because I already have a Dell 620 and no need to Buy one....:) I can use it at Home at my office and in my car too....I am going to using the Port Replicator, Not the compelete Docking station. I already purchased a PR01X. Yes I know the D620 does not have s-video and has already 4 port USB. But after attaching to the PR01X I have many ports. It has SPDIF digital audio out to directly connect the Digital in of any AMP or DSP for Digital Experiance. It has a S-Video port. It has a DVI port, VGA port, LPT port, and five more USB port. But the purpose of USB hub is to attach low BW equipments in to the HUB like touch screen USB interface, GPS etc and extend the remaining ports to the Dash Board for some other high BW equipment. The PR01X will be fixed permanently and all the cabling will be done from this. When I want my laptop to be hooked, just connect and go....

I just started my research on scan tool. I will definitely require help for the better option.

Thank You....

I need help understanding the OBD interface my car has. I am not sure which protocol it usages. I am very new to OBD. If any one can help providing info about the OBD interface I have. My car is Maruti Suzuki Baleno 2006 Make.

Thank You
--Ranjit

Quote:

Originally Posted by sys_whiz (Post 382747)
My Car is Maruti Suzuki Baleno.

Thank You...

oh nice..:) now i cant wait to see this..

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 382980)
oh nice..:) now i cant wait to see this..

I am waiting for some more parts, once I receive those I will start my install....Any ways I will post my detailed plan and wiring diagram soon....

Thank You...

sys..you are from Hyd. Nice.. Will like to meet you. Can i be of any use to you? Probably i can help you document the entire process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satish_appasani (Post 382997)
sys..you are from Hyd. Nice.. Will like to meet you. Can i be of any use to you? Probably i can help you document the entire process.

Wonderful....Wow I am in heaven...So nice and supporting people here

Thank You very much for your support...I will PM you about my contact details and definitely we will meet. I stay near to hitec city...

Great effort pal. I wish to draw your attention to one point that bothered me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sys_whiz
....... The 2nd factor I considered is laptops are more rigid to schoks and heat than PCs....But still to safe guard the laptop, I am planning somekind of Shock Observer enclosure...Will post once I finish doing thos. I know there are some pros and cons of using this.

Shock-factor can be taken care of upto an extent but please be aware that lappy's are usually cramped for space and hence bad dissipators of heat. And Hyderabad has already started to heat up like hell at noon times. Good thing that you do not plan to leave the lappy in parked car. But do keep the heat issue in mind.

Also after a while it may begin to seem cumbersome having to carry the lappy and attach/reattach connectors everytime you park the car for a longer duration.

Good luck in your endeavour :Cheering: