Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 12:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Can you shed more light on how the DAB works and what kind of radio content is available ? Also do share the details of the DAB Dongle that you have ordered - interested to take a look as I own a Foxfire 10.1 inch Android Head Unit on my City.
DAB is the short form of Digital Audio Broadcast, it is a better technology than FM, which is an analogue audio broadcast. here the quality of the sound recieved, depends heavily on position, weather conditions, and distance from the broadcast center. FM has interference with various other frequencies and therefore we notice a dip in quality.

Unfortunately, to make use of DAB, the radio channels themselves need to use a DAB broadcaster. Currently, no radio station in India uses Digital Radio.

DAB can also display other information, like song details, artwork, weather forecasts. And the sound quality is much better than a standard FM radio.

Initially, I thought that after using a DAB antenna, the FM signals would be better too, but now I'm not so sure. If any member knows more about this, they are requested to share their information.

Also, banggood was taking too much time to even dispatch my order, hence I cancelled it. I will see if DAB is of any use in India, and only then I'll order.
city2491 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:22   #32
BHPian

One of my friends bought a 1GB+16GB "P- Sonic" HU from Karol Bagh for his Honda City. He was under the impression that it comes with direct USB Android Auto but was told post installation and payment that it requires a dongle of sorts.
This "dongle" costs 2300 in Karol Bagh and close to 5000 in Gurgaon. He is looking for a cheaper option. TIA.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 22:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
One of my friends bought a 1GB+16GB "P- Sonic" HU from Karol Bagh for his Honda City.
How much he paid for it? And any idea how much a 2GB+16GB costs in Karol Bagh?
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 08:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
How much he paid for it? And any idea how much a 2GB+16GB costs in Karol Bagh?
8000 from Hypersonic.
Should be ~1000rs more I think.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:13   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
After long months of considering and looking, I finally decided to install an Android Headunit and also a hardwired DashCam.

Phone & Bluetooth:

Bluetooth stability is as expected. It always connects whenever the car is started. The microphone is on the face of the unit itself, and the other party wasn’t complaining of call quality. Streaming is also good and doesn’t have much interference.
Thanks for the detailed description.
Does the Android unit have an external Mic , if yes, where is it installed ?
Can you mute the Mic ?
Also, were you not able to integrate the AU with the existing stock microphone itself?
When you engage reverse camera, does everything come to a halt including calls?
Are you saying that you are not getting any startup lag with 1GB/16GB model ?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th February 2020 at 11:25. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
sathwic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathwic View Post
Thanks for the detailed description.
Does the Android unit have an external Mic , if yes, where is it installed ?
Can you mute the Mic ?
Also, were you not able to integrate the HU with the existing stock microphone itself?
When you engage reverse camera, does everything come to a halt including calls?
Are you saying that you are not getting any startup lag with 1GB/16GB model ?
  • It does not have an external microphone.
  • Can not mute the mic.
  • Microphone is not present in VX(O) model with AVN. It was built into the Headunit.
  • There is an option in settings to mute all audio while engaging reverse gear.
  • Now I think it's been more than a month since installing this, it has not even once rebooted completely. In its defence, my car starts up daily.
Old 1st March 2020, 12:17   #37
BHPian

Being an audiophile, I've never come across a good android head unit yet. But did come across an Apple iPad mini set as a head unit and it's wonderful, but of course expensive. Saw Speedfreaks Chennai integrating the iPad mini in one of their installs and it was beyond awesome. Saving now to get this done on rig!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-customipadintegration.jpg  

thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 15:22   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Being an audiophile, I've never come across a good android head unit yet. But did come across an Apple iPad mini set as a head unit and it's wonderful, but of course expensive. Saw integrating the iPad mini in one of their installs and it was beyond awesome. Saving now to get this done on rig!
What is the effect of parking the car under the sun for long hours on the battery and screen of the iPAD?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 16:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After long months of considering and looking, I finally decided to install an Android Headunit and also a hardwired DashCam.
Awesome.

Can you install CPU-Z and check processor, RAM and other specifications of the Headunit please?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cpu_z&hl=en_IN

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 2nd March 2020 at 16:04.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 20:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_driver View Post
I have a 2GB/ 16GB variant on my swift. I have been using it since the past 7 months and am super happy with the performance.
Can you Mirror your phone on this screen? Does this need Android 9 or below only or is the screen mirroring compatible with Android 10?

If yes, please give me details on where you bought this and for how much?

Thank you very much!!

Vikram

Quote:
1. This brand can be found as mentioned before at Shreyas Motors.
Hi..

Thanks.. This looks really good.. does this support smartphone mirroring? And do you know if this is compatible with an Ertiga?

Thanks

Vikram

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd March 2020 at 21:09. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
vikramv4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 20:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post

Can you install CPU-Z and check processor, RAM and other specifications of the Headunit please?
Yes, I checked using that app long before, its a quad core cortex A7 processor, ram is 1GB as specified.

Android version is 8.1 Go.

If you want, I can get a picture of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv4u View Post
Hi..

Thanks.. This looks really good.. does this support smartphone mirroring? And do you know if this is compatible with an Ertiga?

Thanks

Vikram
Screen mirroring is available, android auto and CarPlay can be added using an adapter.

It's definitely available for the ertiga along with loads of other cars.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd March 2020 at 21:08. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Old 2nd March 2020, 20:59   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Screen mirroring is available, android auto and CarPlay can be added using an adapter.

It's definitely available for the ertiga along with loads of other cars.
Can I speak to you for further details please? If you could PM me your number, it will be great.. also I am in Bangalore, so any references here will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Vikram
vikramv4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 16:27   #43
BHPian

So far, the android experience is going great, encountered some bugs, made a few upgrades and thought of sharing it here:

Parking button problem:

I've seen other Honda Citys with android head unit on this forum and their parking buttons were not aligned properly, and were jutting out.

I had been facing the same problem where if I pressed the button too hard it would get stuck and I then had to fish it out. The wrong orientation of the parking triangle further irritated me.

I got a new button which is straight, and had to do some cutting inside the panel to make it fit.

Before: Here the new button is already placed. Look at my previous post to see the old button.
Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-20200308_012830min.jpg

Process:
Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-20200308_120745min.jpg

After:
Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-20200308_120731min.jpg

Audio Upgrade:

I have added a 4 channel amplifier (Sony), Component Speakers (Front and Rear), a monoblock amplifier (Sony), and a passive subwoofer (in the boot).

Head unit had the necessary inputs already provided.

Sound quality has improved and my speakers don't crackle at high volume anymore.

Radio Reception:

Added a radio amplifier pictured below. It takes input from the antenna of the car, amplifies it and send output to head unit. It requires a 12V power supply.

Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-20200308_120805min.jpg

Sound is now clear even in the radio, and there is absolutely no dropping of the signal.

This costs 700 bucks and I recommend all android head unit users to install this. (Fairly easy DIY).

Lastly the wiring mess inside:
Honda City with Android head-unit (Rs 9,500) and Dash Cam (Rs 7,500)-20200308_120811min.jpg

Best Apps:

Quickly listing my best apps for use keeping in mind the landscape orientation of the head unit, and relatively slow processors.
  • Car Launcher Pro: For a neat interface.
  • Whicons, : To get minimal and clear icons.
  • Waze: car optimised navigation, faster to load than google maps, various alerts like cops, speed cameras and Spotify integration.
  • Spotify or Apple Music, for lossless high quality music. Try to avoid Amazon Prime Music, its app is not optimised for a head unit.
  • Torgue Pro, onboard diagnostic tool covered in a previous post
  • Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube for when waiting in the car for your girlfriend to get ready. (Never use while driving. Don't let your passengers play videos either because it's distracting.)
  • Poweramp Full Version, Inbuilt equaliser and good interface for car screens. Best app to use for offline music.

I would like to add that i've kept an Airtel 4G DONGLE permanently in the car to remove the hassle of turning hotspot on and draining the phone battery.
city2491 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 13:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is the effect of parking the car under the sun for long hours on the battery and screen of the iPAD?
Well, I think it will take some time to ascertain that. But it should be like with any gadget at the end of the day in the car, wouldn’t it? And the battery life would be more than normal because it would be always charging when being used.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks