Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2007, 22:01   #31
Team-BHP Support

Hi etchemkay, I can help you listen to Infinity's if you wish to. I have sent you a PM with my contact number. I bought my equipment (although pretty basic and without amps) from the official JBL distributor in Pune with bill and warranty. Give me a buzz and we will do the hunting this weekend probably.
Old 9th March 2007, 01:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
amazon.com is selling the Pioneer 6200 amp for $100 (Rs. 4600!).. Dirt cheap huh? .. and I get a warranty too.

Any problem with getting my amp from USA ? In case I do decide on buying from amazon, I'll be asking a friend to carry it - so, no shipping costs involved.
I won't be getting the speakers from there .. coz I'd rather listen to them before buying.
Guys .. any opinions on this ?
Old 9th March 2007, 09:42   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
amazon.com is selling the Pioneer 6200 amp for $100 (Rs. 4600!).. Dirt cheap huh? .. and I get a warranty too.
a) amps have their own signature too. Just listen to the Sony 554 and Pio 6200 and you'l know.

b) USA warranties are not valid in India

c) I fyou buy all your equipment from your installer (or atleast a significant porteion of it) they will install it for free (atleast mine does).
Old 22nd March 2007, 01:00   #34
BHPian

Okay .. I'm glad to tell you expense-inducing hungry souls out here in the ICE section that due to an unexpected upward spike in my finances, I've decided to get a subwoofer in addition to the paraphernalia discussed above on route to ICEing up my ride.
So, my things-to-get list now reads -
- Pioneer GM-6200F 4-channel amplifier
- Infinity 6010cs 6.5" compnent speakers
- Single 10" or 12" subwoofer
- Wiring
I'm in the US right now and I was thinking of getting the 6200, the 6010s and the wiring from here. Carrying the subwoofer back to India will be cumbersome, so I'll buy that back home.

Now a few questions -
- For the subwoofer
After scouring through numerous threads, I've come to the conclusion that for the sub, I've learnt that for tight, non-boomy bass (the type I like), Sony and Pioneer subs are quite the no-no. The JBL GTO series subs are highly regarded for the same. How about other brands like MTX or Infinity or Polk Audio ?
Also, I understand that a sealed box is the way to go for tight, clean bass but which requires more power. Will the 6200 punch out enough power to drive a good 12" sub in a sealed box in addition to the 6.5" components ? Or should I look at the JBL 60.4 ?
- For the wiring
I've seen a lot of (amplifier and power) wiring kits of varying guages available here. If I do decide to get the kit from here,
Which one should I get - Audison, Scosche, Monster, Streetwires ?
Of what guage - 4, 8, 10 ? (Is there a thread/s I can go through which explains car audio wiring?)

Anyone had any problems (with customs) getting stuff like speakers and amplifiers into India? Will it attract duty even if it is for personal use? I also believe electronics attract duty if their worth is more than a specified value. Anyone know what that threshhold amount is ?
Old 22nd March 2007, 09:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh good. More money

For the sub:

For a sealed box, the 6200 won't cut it well enough. The 60.4 won't do for a sealed box either. You'll need to look at a JBL GTO75.4, or go for a ported box, by keeping the 6200. A well done ported box isn't thaaaat bad. The sub's manual will usually give a range of enclosure volume for ported as well as sealed boxes. If you go for the smaller size ported box (and follow port diameter & length faithfully), you'll get reasonably tight bass.

And a subs like the Infinity give reasonable tight response anyway, so you should be ok there. (Haven't listened to a Polk sub. Listened to an MTX quite a while back, and I think it was more SPLish than SQish).

Wiring:
4 guage should keep you safe for a future amp upgrade/additional amp. All the brands you mentioned are good enough. Monster maybe quite VFM if you get a genuine kit.

And do get good quality RCAs. I personally prefer Audison, but I guess you can't go wrong with any of the brands you've mentioned (if you get genuine stuff).

Here's a nice thread on wiring: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ick-wires.html
Old 22nd March 2007, 11:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Additional Info/Thoughts:
How much has the budget gone up by?

The reason I'm asking is that you shouldn't get a sub that needs you to get a much more powerful amp, or the budget will need to go even higher.

A JBL GT4-12 in a ported (custom-made) box will only add 6.5k (5k for the sub & 1.5k for the box) to the budget. If you make the box sealed, you'll need to upgrade to a GTO75.4 amp which will add an additional 5k to the budget, making the total increase 11.5K.

An Infinity sub will definitely need a 75.4 amp. And the sub itself will come to about 9K (I guess). So the budget increase would be like 14K (9k + 5K).

And so on & so forth. I guess you get the idea.
Old 22nd March 2007, 12:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
How much has the budget gone up by?
Well .. I can spare around $450 thanks to my trip to USA (and the $50 per d.m. allowance - Yay!) .. So, that's around Rs. 20K.

In my mind, I split the budget up like so -
- Pioneer 6200 - $115
- Infinity 6010s - $115
- Wiring - $60
That's $290 .. So, the subwoofer gets upto $160 (Rs. 7K approx)

Costs of some alternate pieces mentioned in the thread -
- JBL 60.4 - $160
- JBL 75.4 - $300
- JBL GTO607c comps - $210
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:13   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In my mind, I split the budget up like so -
- Pioneer 6200 - $115
- Infinity 6010s - $115
- Wiring - $60
That's $290 .. So, the subwoofer gets upto $160 (Rs. 7K approx)

- JBL 60.4 - $160
- JBL 75.4 - $300
That is odd. JBL comps twice the price of Infinity comps? The prices for the Pio and Infinity comps looks low. just make sure your supplire is reliable.

If you are getting the 6010s at $115/pair I'd look at getting a slightly better amp (maybe spending upto $150 on the amp) since there are a bunch of subs you can get for under $100.

Car Audio & Video/Car Subwoofers/Component Subwoofers at Crutchfield.com ir=FFPrice%5FRang+e%7C%5Brank1%5DUp+to+%24100&nv pair=FFPrice%5FRange%7C%5Brank1%5DUp+to+%24100&nvp air=FFSize|12%22&nvpair=FFPrice%5FRange%7C%5Brank1 %5DUp+to+%24100

Last edited by navin : 22nd March 2007 at 13:15.
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:22   #39
BANNED

Way too overpriced!!

Quote:
- JBL 60.4 - $160
- JBL 75.4 - $300
GTO 607C is way too overpriced. They're atleast 3k cheaper if bought here.
The amps sound reasonably priced when compared to the prices here. Still you may get a better bargain here for these too.

No use buying from US and carrying it all the way when you can get the same here.

Is there any other benefits like better quality or better warranty etc.. if bought from US?? I don't think so!
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:25   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
That is odd. JBL comps twice the price of Infinity comps? The prices for the Pio and Infinity comps looks low. just make sure your supplire is reliable.

All prices I saw were from PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping Beyond Compare .. or http://www.cardomain.com/shop .. didn't research the "alternatives" .. I may be getting lower prices at other online stores.
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:45   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All prices I saw were from PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping Beyond Compare .. or http://www.cardomain.com/shop .. didn't research the "alternatives" .. I may be getting lower prices at other online stores.
please stick to only 4-5 star supplier will 100 or more response on price grabber.
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
GTO 607C is way too overpriced. They're atleast 3k cheaper if bought here.
The amps sound reasonably priced when compared to the prices here. Still you may get a better bargain here for these too.

No use buying from US and carrying it all the way when you can get the same here.

Is there any other benefits like better quality or better warranty etc.. if bought from US?? I don't think so!
I guess the prices of the 6200 and 6010s are quite lesser .. (5.2K each) .. also, the warranty of these still holds in the US .. I can always send them back with friends or colleagues who travel here (and that's quite often). I travel once in 3 months or so too. Plus, I'm (almost) assured of a "peti-pack" (brand-new) piece with all the manuals et al.
The only thing I'm concerned about is the duty .. if it is charged then the whole buying-in-US process becomes pointless.
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
please stick to only 4-5 star supplier will 100 or more response on price grabber.
Gotcha boss !! I'm usually careful while buying online .. I've heard enough stories of transactions gone sour.
Old 4th April 2007, 02:02   #44
BHPian

One more question -
- What length and number of RCA cable(s) should I be getting ?
Old 4th April 2007, 07:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more question -
- What length and number of RCA cable(s) should I be getting ?
The no. of RCA cables depends on the no. of pre-outs in your HU and the amp/s you'll use:

1 pre-out HU + 2-ch amp = 1 RCA cable
1 pre-out HU + 4-ch amp = 1 RCA cable + 2 'Y' splitters
2 pre-out HU + 4-ch amp = 2 RCA cables
2 pre-out HU + 4-ch amp + 2ch/mono amp = 2 RCA cables + 2 'Y' splitters
3 pre-out HU + 4-ch amp = 2 RCA cables (1 pre-out lies unused)
3 pre-out HU + 4-ch amp + 2ch/mono amp = 3 RCA cables

Car-spec RCAs generally come in 6 mts length. That should be quite enough.

Most Viewed