Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2020, 23:54   #1
BHPian

Set up a personal greeting on your Apple CarPlay

Hello BHP family,

Hope you all are doing fine and taking all precautions against the pandemic. During this difficult but very important time, like everyone else, me too was getting bored and hence started searching random articles on google. One of them had the steps to make the CarPlay welcoming you when it connects to the car.

I tried it and it worked. Hence thought of sharing with you all. Setting it up pretty much comes down to instructing CarPlay to speak a greeting when it launches, and because the launch itself occurs when you connect the iPhone to the car, starting the engine is pretty much the trigger for this automation.

Quote:
So basically, what you must do is configure an automation to speak a text when CarPlay launches, all with some tweaks here and there to enhance the whole thing.

First of all, head over to the Shortcuts app on your iPhone – if you’re running iOS 13, the app comes pre-loaded regardless of the iPhone model you own. Go to the Automation section and tap Create Personal Automation.

In the Travel section choose CarPlay and then check the option called Connects. Tap the Next button in the top right corner to advance to the next screen. This is where we’ll configure the Actions, which are the things the automation performs when CarPlay connects.

The first thing you must configure is a 5-second delay – this is necessary because CarPlay takes a few seconds to load, so this way you make sure that the sound is routed through the car’s speakers. To do this, tap Add Action and then go to Scripting and choose Wait in the Control Flow section.

In the next screen, tap the default 1 second value and change it to 5 seconds.

Then create another action, only that this time you must select Text from the Text section under Documents. When you’re done, tap the default message to change it to anything you want, such as a simple "Hello". Next, you must create an action to speak the text, and to do this, add a new action using the Speak Text option from Documents > Text.

Make sure the previously-created text is selected for this action in the main Actions screen. At this point, you’re ready to go, so in the Actions UI, tap the Next button in the top right corner and uncheck the option that reads Ask Before Running to run the whole thing without user input.
Source

Below you can find a summary of all the aforementioned steps:

Shortcuts > Automations > Create Personal Automation > Travel > CarPlay > Connects > Add Action

Add Action > Scripting > Control Flow > Wait > 5 seconds
Add Action > Documents > Text > Text > Edit text
Add Action > Documents > Text > Speak Text

Next > Uncheck Ask Before Running > Done

Hope you all would like it.

Take good care of yourself and your family.

Saty Home, Stay Safe.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2020 at 08:15. Reason: You must ALWAYS give credit to the original source when copying their data. Adding source link
SuperSuri is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 07:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Set up a personal greeting on your Apple CarPlay

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the ICE Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 09:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Hope you all are doing fine and taking all precautions against the pandemic. During this difficult but very important time, like everyone else, me too was getting bored and hence started searching random articles on google. One of them had the steps to make the CarPlay welcoming you when it connects to the car.
Hi SuperSuri, simple and nice addition to the CarPlay. Thanks for sharing and explaining in detail. I was able to do it easily.

Stay Home, Stay Safe.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th March 2020 at 11:50. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 27th March 2020, 01:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
Hi SuperSuri, simple and nice addition to the CarPlay. Thanks for sharing and explaining in detail. I was able to do it easily.

Stay Home, Stay Safe.
Hello Smileline,

A simple tweak like this is actually not important, however it's good to show off within friends.

Glad you liked it.

Take care.
Old 27th March 2020, 11:47   #5
BHPian

Hey thanks for this SuperSuri!
Going to do it right now and will go try it out on my Vento.
Now, please make a thread about how you activated the needle sweep
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2020, 17:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Welcome. Needle Sweep was activated at the time of delivery. That was as per my instructions. Also got the lane changing indicators blinks changed from 3 to 5 blinks during the first checkup at 1 month. Sorry but I don't have the steps. You may ask at the ASS and these two things can be done for sure.
SuperSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2020, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
The needle swap can be activated very easily with the VW or equivalent (VCDS) software. I personally see no merit in activating it
Old 31st March 2020, 13:18   #8
BHPian

I have also done some automation to disable wifi when carplay starts and connect to wifi when carplay stops.

Shortcuts > Automation > Create Personal Automation > Travel > CarPlay > Connects > Add Action > Scripting > Network > Set Wi-Fi > Off > Next > Done

Shortcuts > Automation > Create Personal Automation > Travel > CarPlay > Disconnects > Add Action > Scripting > Network > Set Wi-Fi > On > Next > Done

works like a charm

Source: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...er-141659.html
CarBot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Hello BHP family,
======

Take good care of yourself and your family.

Saty Home, Stay Safe.
Even I had done this automation 3 days back. It’s a nice touch. People who have creative thoughts will be able to make a lot of automations like this. I am poor in creativity though.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd April 2020 at 16:41. Reason: Removing Youtube link in quote and trimming the large quote. Helps with readability, especially in mobile devices. Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 21:27   #10
BHPian

Thanks CarBot, followed the steps and configured the same.

@nidhinsarath: likewise bro.
Old 4th July 2020, 00:17   #11
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the inputs, Have been able to setup in CarPlay, it works like wonders. But Can the voice be changed from female to male?
Old 26th August 2021, 02:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Hi,

Thanks for sharing the inputs, Have been able to setup in CarPlay, it works like wonders. But Can the voice be changed from female to male?
Apologies for the late reply.

Yes, the voice can be changed from female to male. Screenshot attached below:

Set up a personal greeting on your Apple CarPlay-ad9a780cd5c64a00a65384fda0dc64f7.png

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks