Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think carmakers should ditch the touchscreens?
Yes 264 57.89%
No 192 42.11%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2020, 23:25   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Are carmakers starting to ditch touchscreens now?

There is no need to completely ditch the touch screen. Not is there a need to go completely touch screen and remove all the buttons. There is and there should be a middle ground that manufacturers should achieve in the interest of safety and convenience. These huge touchscreens in premium cars are a big no no and any sort of touch control must be used only for such actions which aren't needed during driving, such as basic audio controls, climate controls and in the future maybe transmission and drivetrain controls also. For the fancy stuff like scrolling across maps, media etc which is best done when car is stationary, touch screens are convenient in these scenarios.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 01:27   #47
BHPian

I've never been a huge fan of these modern touchscreen systems, but it's a cool idea nonetheless - if implemented correctly.

So, I propose a cluster of physical buttons that lets you utilize the infotainment screen to your advantage without facing any (major) hiccups.

Something like this is present on the Ford EcoSport (both Sync as well as non-Sync)

Are carmakers starting to ditch touchscreens now?-20_frd_eco_000012_tnm.jpg
Old 13th April 2020, 12:48   #48
BHPian

I want to see a trend where car manufacturers move away from touch screens. If trend setters like BMW, Merc and Honda adopt this practice, I am sure rest will follow. My colleague owns a MG Hector and there were multiple instances where he almost crashed the vehicle ahead of him as he was fidgeting on the screen while driving. It should be imperative that these manufacturers should give anti-collision features as a standard in their cars if they are giving such big touch screens. Tesla is responsible and they give it, MG will never do that.
Old 13th April 2020, 13:37   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
If trend setters like BMW, Merc and Honda adopt this practice, I am sure rest will follow.

At least for the next five years, it is going to be the other way round The trend setters are going ballistic over touch screens currently so switching to something else isnt happening anytime soon.
Old 3rd February 2021, 03:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Imagine not being able to operate your demister, HVAC as the touch screen has gone dead. Well, that is exactly what has happened on some Tesla's. These are problems on cars that are just two years old. Imagine the cost to replace one of these once you are out of warranty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf INRM-EA20003-11321.pdf (278.2 KB, 170 views)
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:59   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Imagine not being able to operate your demister, HVAC as the touch screen has gone dead. Well, that is exactly what has happened on some Tesla's. These are problems on cars that are just two years old. Imagine the cost to replace one of these once you are out of warranty.
Wait till you read this news.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39065/...6-years-anyway

They are designed to last only for 5-6 years of use.
So much for saving the environment.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks