Team-BHP - MP3Pro HU ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   MP3Pro HU ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/22131-mp3pro-hu.html)

Hi,

Just a simple query does our car normal MP3 players support MP3Pro format ? If not are there any HU's which support ?

For those who don't know what is MP3Pro is you can find more info at mp3PROzone - the home of mp3PRO.

It comes with Nero too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh (Post 388273)
Hi,

Just a simple query does our car normal MP3 players support MP3Pro format ? If not are there any HU's which support ?

For those who don't know what is MP3Pro is you can find more info at mp3PROzone - the home of mp3PRO.

It comes with Nero too.

I see that MP3pro is compatible with MP3 so it automatically means songs in MP3pro format will play in any HU

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 388338)
I see that MP3pro is compatible with MP3 so it automatically means songs in MP3pro format will play in any HU

But there is a trick... MP3pro specific information is ignored all together by usual mp3 players, and that's why they are compatible!:)

Well this is the first time I am hearing about Mp3Pro, well firstly mp3 is not a pro cos its compressed and secondly the company that has come up with this compression is not widely used, well if it was we would be using it, and still mp3 and not the pro version remains popular.

Hence most of the Hu's including the latest ones only show compatibility with mp3, not sure if pro is compatible also.

There is no Pro in MP3Pro. WHat I mean is that MP3Pro is not nesscarily a better format than MP3. It is just a method to move files through smaller pipes. What is does is similar (but the technologies used are very different it is just that the idea is simialr) to what Dolby NR (A,B,C, and SR) did for tapes in the 60s and 70s.

MP3Pro is more useful for low bitrates and for thin internet connections. I dont see why one would rip to MP3Pro if one was not transferring the files over a thin internet connection (such a shared ADSL or dial-up connection).

MP3 palyers can read MP3Pro files albeit at a lower sampling rate (22k instead of 44K).

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 388647)
MP3Pro is more useful for low bitrates and for thin internet connections. I dont see why one would rip to MP3Pro if one was not transferring the files over a thin internet connection (such a shared ADSL or dial-up connection).

Exactly. I think mp3 is (or rather "was") a great compromise between quality versus storage space, especially the most popular 128kbps one. But it is still just a compromise. Now things have changed because storage space is not such a big issue as it used to be a decade or so back (DVDs, usb HDDs etc). So, many people would prefer 256 or more bit rates, VBR or even better lossless formats (like wma-lossless, flac) which achieve close to 50% compression as compared to raw formats like wav. However, if one is limited to 700MB CDs only, then 128 or lower bitrate may make sense.

Quote:

MP3 palyers can read MP3Pro files albeit at a lower sampling rate (22k instead of 44K).
But that is at the cost of significant damage/loss of treble, firstly because lower bit-rate and sampling rate, and additionally due to loss of mp3pro content (for whatever worth it might be!)

Thank you Navin for clearing the confusion, what wonders me is how many more years will mp3 have its prominence, the future mp3? Imagine song files are in KB's and the quality is same as a CD or the file size increases with better quality however the speed of transferring files increases with 8gb dvds this should not be difficult and BSNL coming up with 2mbps lines downloads will also be faster.

LOL stuff getting outdated will be sad, though you may have wor arounds with adapters etc..still

MP3 will be around. There will always be the need for a compressed format. Not everyone will cotton to 200GB ipods etc. Look around and see how many mobile phones still have B&W screens - not new mobiles - the old ones.

Why I still know people who use the Compact Cassette and lets not even discuss 78s.