Team-BHP - Optimal equilizer settings on HU ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Optimal equilizer settings on HU ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/22173-optimal-equilizer-settings-hu.html)

I was wondering what would be the best equalizer setting for trance and rock music ? I have a pioneer 6950ib HU , It has support for 2 custom equalizer setting apart from other predefined/inbuild settings.I know this is subjective to ones ear's but then..i am sure there must be some optimal/recommended settings with which these kind of music can sound better or the best..
Any pointers suggestions would be helpful. Gurus/music enthusiast please shred some light on this

Thanks in advance.

Hi Prashant,

It is a common misconception that there is an EQ is for any type of music. There is no such thing.

Equilisation is exactly as the name suggests, Equilisation. Your listening environment (room, car etc) may induce certain characteristics of itself into the eventual sound reaching your ears. Equilisation is the process by which you reduce such peaks and dips and try to get as flat a response as possible. Get it, Equilise?

For example, you may not have much absorption in your listening room and bass may have a boomy effect. To correct this, we use can add furniture, carpeting, or use more direct acoustic treatments. And / Or, we can use an equiliser. Start by cutting the peaking frequencies and getting a more natural sound. Just like some frequencies can be exaggerated by your room, some others can be overly absorbed, causing dips. This would be an instance where boosting frequencies is called for. Either ways, dont go overboard in cutting or boosting too much.

Once the EQ is set according to your system and its environment, you pretty much leave it as it is. Some people use RTAs (Real Time Analysers) to measure the response and then correct it through an EQ. Others do it by ear. Eventually, the EQ is a correction tool. In a system that is set up well, you can actually get great sound with no EQ, bass boost or such processing.

Cheers

the equAliZer as Gunbir correctly put is a correction tool, do this use your custom setting option and listen in to your music and decide coz one very important thing that you need to realize is that MP3 ttracks are recorded at different rates so one might sound great on a particular setting but the other might not and if you want good quality settle for nothing less that 192kbps mp3 tracks while downloading or recording for atleast, decent music.

hey Gunbir /nitroxx ,
After reading the explanation i agree with both of you ,i agree environment greatly affects music and its different form place to place.

When i say what would be the best optimal equalization settings for particular genre of music , i mean what bass ,what treble ,what level of vocal/mids would suit different genre of music . For instance rock requires more of bass and slightly less treble and some amount of vocals/mids.. similar stands true for other gneres as well

One good link would be
Opinion: What are the best Equalizer settings? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Having said all these , as you guys mentioned equalizer setting is subjective to ones ears and environment and ofcourse the equipment as well.
According to my listening experience , equalizer settings vary from various genres of music and bass,vocals/mids/trebles has to be set according to music genere for the best output.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prashantk007 (Post 389704)
According to my listening experience , equalizer settings vary from various genres of music and bass, vocals/mids/trebles has to be set according to music genere for the best output.

:) Well how about you use the EQ presets on your HUs. Use Rock for Rock music, Pop for Pop music and so on... :p

Seriously though, thats your opinion and I cant argue with that. Just like I don't argue with a friend of mine who likes ketchup with his hot chocolate fudge.

Well guys i may be contradicting with your views ,but i just told what i thought .. I literally change my eq settings to the kind of music i play when i use my ipod and it makes lot of difference in listening experience.. thought this might hold good here too....Anywayz thanks for the valuable inputs i guess there is no point me thinking over this..looks like me thinking in wrong direction here. What i need to do is that find out a general setting which suits to my car's enviornment ...

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbir (Post 389781)
Seriously though, thats your opinion and I cant argue with that. Just like I don't argue with a friend of mine who likes ketchup with his hot chocolate fudge.

Move over Sidhu, Gunbir is here!

WOW!!! Nice times are back.

It is a misconception that you need different Equalizer settings for different kinds of music. I think once the equalizer settings are corrected, then it will suit to any music played. It is there to optimise the output according to the environment it is playing. That's all.

Baaki, Ketchup with Hot chocolate may appear lovely. But will it taste good?? :p

I agree with prashantk007 in the sense that the same eq setting is not enough for all genre of music. certain types of music require low sounds amplified (House, Hip Hop), certain music require mid sounds to be amplified (Vocal) etc. I do change my eq settings to what suits the music i play. but finally end up switching it off. that suits all types of music.
cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 390188)
I do change my eq settings to what suits the music i play. but finally end up switching it off. that suits all types of music.
cheers

After all it is better to keep Ketchup out of Hot chocolate. Right E_L?? rl:

You wont notice the difference after a few pegs of Beefeater.;)

Beef eater, Jack daniels or harveys bristol and youre it coz everything will sound like a desert rock festival ...couldnt agree with you more esteem lover.;)