Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 16:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenKnight View Post
I'm trying to get noticed by Sam (He's been absent from this thread noticeably) so that he sends me a few freebies/advice!
Quote:
Ta-Dah!!! Sam jumps up from behind the bed, where he's been hiding and jumps straight in, without even an apology for his absence. Stupid fellow.
Hello Woodie,

Wow, you've really decided to thump Chandi nicely eh? All looks good to me, however, that woofer box is rubbish. Here's what I suggest, you get that ghastly gash closed up. That alone will improve the sound a lot, for now. Just get a carpenter to close it up. No hole needed.

Now here is what you should do, if you can afford it.

Look for the spec paper that came with your GT4-12. If you have lost it, do not fret, I will mail you a pdf. Then design a sealed box according to the sizes given in that paper. Get a carpenter in chandigarh and get it made out of 0.75" MDF. You can choose to get it carpeted or you can paint it black.

After this, buy a Monoblock amplifier. Since your personal preference is JBL, you can buy a CS300.1 monoblock. This costs 10K.
Use your 60.4 amplifier to drive the front and rear speakers. Cut the rears at 70Hz and cut the front 4" speakers at 120Hz. Do not worry, you will not blow anything.

Then using the perfectly designed sealed box in your M800, connect it to the CS300.1, cutting the LPF at 80Hz. Turn it up to taste. Add whiskey and bolo tararara.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 28th March 2007 at 16:04.
Old 28th March 2007, 19:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Wow, you've really decided to thump Chandi nicely eh? All looks good to me, however, that woofer box is rubbish. Here's what I suggest, you get that ghastly gash closed up. That alone will improve the sound a lot, for now. Just get a carpenter to close it up. No hole needed.

Now here is what you should do, if you can afford it.
Turn it up to taste. Add whiskey and bolo tararara.

close the open so called port it will greatly improve the sound.....

and Sam Bhai in every there you are saying bolo tararara....what is this trarara about....are we missing some thing.....
Old 31st March 2007, 16:12   #18
BHPian

Thanks to everybody who's given me advice here... Here's more.

Quote:
that woofer box is rubbish. Here's what I suggest, you get that ghastly gash closed up. Look for the spec paper that came with your GT4-12. Then design a sealed box according to the sizes given in that paper. Get a carpenter in chandigarh and get it made out of 0.75" MDF.
I'm getting it replaced from the installer and he told me to get one made from his carpenter according to the specs I want. I noticed that the sealed frequency response in car provides good stable volume up to about 72-74 Hz compared to the peaked response of vented frequency response and since my vented box seems to be made really wrong, I don't know the actual profile of the sub I'm getting at the moment.

Two questions here:
1. Do MDF boxes produce any fumes by themselves? I know it's the glue they have used to affix the carpeting but this installer insisted that it's not the glue but the MDF box itself, as if the wood is giving off the fumes. Need confirmation here.
2. I noticed that the specs suggest that the sealed enclosure be 'stuffed with loosely-packed fiberfill'. What type of shops would typically keep fiberfill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Even the 4" coaxes in the dash will make a big difference. Kicker has 4" comps but they are apparently hard to find. Go for the GTO 4" coaxes and power them from the amp.
Kicker ES4.2 4" components are available for 5.9k + S&H in Mumbai. My question is, are they worth it? Or should I simply go in for the simple JBL GTO427? I have no problems in spending the money if the sound quality is going to be awesome.

Quote:
After this, buy a Monoblock amplifier. Since your personal preference is JBL, you can buy a CS300.1 monoblock. This costs 10K.
You meant CS300.1 or GTO301.1? I'm not sure the guy I'm talking to is clear about the difference but he's quoting me 10,700 for "GTO300.1 or GTO301.1 whichever is the GTO one". heh ... I can't tell if he's clueless or annoyed because of the number of questions I keep asking him really.

Amps Installation Question: Since I'll have two amps and it is M800 after all, I'll have space issues on where to keep these amps. Right now my CS60.4 is lying under the front left seat (untethered!). What is the best place to get these installed properly? I was thinking of putting them both upside down on the roof with a false roof lining running the wires back and forth. What do experts say to that because far as I can tell from what I've read here, this is unconventional.

Referral for Installer in Delhi Request: Also, I've decided to go to Delhi to get the damping done (Dynamat Xtreme sounds good) to the doors, roof, hatch, and if possible, even the firewall (how's that? I'm throwing around names like I know what I'm talking about!) or whatever is possible to do within 2 days since it'll have to be over the weekend + getting the speaker + amp installation re-done properly. Who should I go to? I know many of you have had some good jobs done in Delhi but please remember that I am stupid and naive, wouldn't know what I'm being asked if somebody were to ask me something specific, and would trust the installer implicitly and completely on making the decisions and giving me a good install. This is where I could use some actual hand-holding...
Old 1st April 2007, 01:58   #19
BHPian

A thought that's been bothering me is whether this much load can be handled by the tiny car battery/engine of M800 and if it's going to drain too much juice (current/fuel) especially with the AC on -- I definitely don't want any damage to the engine/battery or the amps/speakers because of it.

Do I need a capacitor or something?

A *really* tiny genset with an upgrade to everything but the car itself?
Old 1st April 2007, 12:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two questions here:
1. Do MDF boxes produce any fumes by themselves? I know it's the glue they have used to affix the carpeting but this installer insisted that it's not the glue but the MDF box itself, as if the wood is giving off the fumes. Need confirmation here.
2. I noticed that the specs suggest that the sealed enclosure be 'stuffed with loosely-packed fiberfill'. What type of shops would typically keep fiberfill?
1. It has to be the glue. MDF (or wood) doesn't give out fumes. Now one another thing -- this is somewhat unlikely so don't get freaked out -- could be that ummm... your power wiring is not taking the load and the plastic cladding of the power wires are getting very very hot, and giving out the smell. If this is the case, you have to get to an installer ASAP. I don't mean to scare you, and the gurus will correct this statement if it is not likely that this is the problem.

2. For fibrefill most people butcher a reliance fibre pillow (recron fibre) and use the filling :-) I really don't know where else to get the stuff, if your installer doesn't have it.

Quote:
Kicker ES4.2 4" components are available for 5.9k + S&H in Mumbai. My question is, are they worth it? Or should I simply go in for the simple JBL GTO427? I have no problems in spending the money if the sound quality is going to be awesome.
The M800 front speaker placement is on the dash, right. I guess imaging-wise that should be about ok. So 4" comps may not make that much difference over the 427s. And you have JBLs in the back, right? So anyway it is better to keep the front and rear speakers in the same family.

Quote:
Amps Installation Question: Since I'll have two amps and it is M800 after all, I'll have space issues on where to keep these amps. Right now my CS60.4 is lying under the front left seat (untethered!). What is the best place to get these installed properly? I was thinking of putting them both upside down on the roof with a false roof lining running the wires back and forth. What do experts say to that because far as I can tell from what I've read here, this is unconventional.
Won't you be able to mount the amps on (the back of) the back seat? IMHO Roof mounting is better avoided for 2 reasons:
a) Heat dissipation: The amps will be mounted upside down, and the heat generated will go right back up into the amps, rather than up and out (as it would have, if the amps were placed flat normally/on the side). ANd it being the roof, some of the sun's heat will also contribute to further heating-up (not very much, but if it can be avoided, it is good, right?)

b) Roof height: Won't the already low roof-height of the M800 get lowered even more? 2-3 inches will make a big difference.

Quote:
Referral for Installer in Delhi Request: Also, I've decided to go to Delhi to get the damping done (Dynamat Xtreme sounds good) to the doors, roof, hatch, and if possible, even the firewall (how's that? I'm throwing around names like I know what I'm talking about!) or whatever is possible to do within 2 days since it'll have to be over the weekend + getting the speaker + amp installation re-done properly. Who should I go to? I know many of you have had some good jobs done in Delhi but please remember that I am stupid and naive, wouldn't know what I'm being asked if somebody were to ask me something specific, and would trust the installer implicitly and completely on making the decisions and giving me a good install. This is where I could use some actual hand-holding...
The only installer I know of in Delhi (he does great work) is Driven in Mayapuri. He's a member here. Other Delhi TBHPians should be able to help you out.

Quote:
A thought that's been bothering me is whether this much load can be handled by the tiny car battery/engine of M800 and if it's going to drain too much juice (current/fuel) especially with the AC on -- I definitely don't want any damage to the engine/battery or the amps/speakers because of it.

Do I need a capacitor or something?

A *really* tiny genset with an upgrade to everything but the car itself?
If you get good quality power wiring (8G, or better 4G -- 2 amps, right?), there will be no problem. You won't need a capacitor. And don't play the system without turning the car on first. And maybe turn the system off before you turn the engine off, so the battery won't be put under strain when you start the engine.
Old 12th May 2007, 00:57   #21
BHPian

I'm going to Autopsyche on Saturday to get the reinstallation of audio + damping done. I finally got myself a GTO301.1 mono to drive the sub & GTO427 for front which will be driven by the CS60.4 that will also drive the GTO937 at the rear. With the damping, the audio should, in theory, sound sweet. Will post pictures once everything's done.
Old 12th May 2007, 12:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

congrats wooden....u'll be a happy person with this JBL set up! am also planning to upgrade to 75.4 in a short while. Njoy!!
Old 12th May 2007, 13:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
congrats wooden....u'll be a happy person with this JBL set up! am also planning to upgrade to 75.4 in a short while. Njoy!!
Nice investment you are going to do Panky........
Old 12th May 2007, 15:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

true LBM, i also think so, I dont think my Pio 6100 solves my purpose!
Old 12th May 2007, 17:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
true LBM, i also think so, I dont think my Pio 6100 solves my purpose!
ya the 6100 is a kid when compared to the JBL 75.4 daddy.......
Old 12th May 2007, 18:31   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm going to Autopsyche on Saturday to get the reinstallation of audio + damping done. I finally got myself a GTO301.1 mono to drive the sub & GTO427 for front which will be driven by the CS60.4 that will also drive the GTO937 at the rear. With the damping, the audio should, in theory, sound sweet. Will post pictures once everything's done.
Hiya woodie.
So you're finally going in the right direction. I am glad. Your combo is pretty good and Autopsyche will install it well for you.

Just make sure the fronts are nice and loud and the HPF is on 100hz for the front. Though I am sure Arush will do it anyways.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:51   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
ya the 6100 is a kid when compared to the JBL 75.4 daddy.......
...and you got 2 grand daddys in your car.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Woodie, I know the space in the 800 is kinda limited but me thinks you will still be best of with the amps installed on the backrest of the rear seat. I see Hydra and Sam have already covered all your other queries.
Old 13th May 2007, 23:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
...and you got 2 grand daddys in your car.

hehehehehe....the thrid one will be on its way soon.....
Old 14th May 2007, 16:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
hehehehehe....the thrid one will be on its way soon.....
u r really crazy....3rd one???? which one now??

Most Viewed