Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 15:00   #16
BHPian

Getting ICE unit from US - Any advice?

Guys,

I have decided to get Alpine Music system for my yet to be delivered Alto K10 from US.

Few questions

Will the ICE work off the shelf?.. Do we need any other cables/add-ons that need to make it work?
I am assuming DIN size is same in US v/s India. Is that assumption correct?.

Appreciate your help..

Thanks
Shankar
Old 18th August 2010, 10:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

If fitted properly, standard ICE always works off-the-shelf! A good installer will use the proper harness adapter for the car. The only other cables you would need will be, if required (can't be specific unless you mention which HU you have bought), USB and / or Aux-in cable if you are using external sources. If you are using an amp, you will need RCA cables from the HU to the amp, power cables for the amp, as well as new speaker cables from the amp to the speakers.

And yes, DIN is DIN - the same everywhere.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 12:50   #18
BHPian

I recently setup a 2din in my scorpio which i bought in USA. The size provided in scorpio was bigger than the HU so it had some patch work to fit properly. About Alto maybe alto owners can comment.

About cables, no worries. you can buy them here.
Old 18th August 2010, 20:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Size provided in any car at the fascia is always bigger - slightly or more depending on whether the dash was meant for an OE ICE or not. 2DIN refers to the mounting size for the HU, not the fascia size. For some cars, one has to get a fascia adapter to make up the gap.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Size provided in any car at the fascia is always bigger - slightly or more depending on whether the dash was meant for an OE ICE or not. 2DIN refers to the mounting size for the HU, not the fascia size. For some cars, one has to get a fascia adapter to make up the gap.

Thanks. I am buying Alto K10. This being a small car, is a sub woofer and an amp overkill for alto?..

I was discussing with couple of shops in Bangalore and they told a simple setup would be enough for Alto. Please comment.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:56   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
Thanks. I am buying Alto K10. This being a small car, is a sub woofer and an amp overkill for alto?..
Actually a small sub would be nice. No matter how good they are a pair of 6" midbass drivers in the front doors are not going to reproduce enough bass. I would advise a simple 4 ch. amp like the Pio 6400 and a simple 10" sealed box sub.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a HU from USA

Sorry to wake up old thread

But, need urgent advice.

One of my friend is coming to India in a month's time. I am planning to send a receiver (HU) with him. I have shortlisted few receivers (HU). Can someone please opine if its a good idea to get from here?

Requirements:

- should play mp3 cds, usb and has ipod control(not necessary) and radio.
- will be installed in hyundai santro.
- budget of ~$100, ~ rs. 5000.
- previously installed system: sony xplod HU, xplod speakers. Speakers will be replaced by jbl at the back. front tweeters will be the same.
- don't want to add woofer due to lack of space.

shortlisted: all the below models meet minimum requirements above, just need to know which company HU is best buy of the following.

pioneer deh p4300 - $115 ( has 2 preouts and color option in addition to p3300)
pioneer deh p3300 - $95

sony cdx gt35u - $80
sony xplod cdx gt440u - $110
sony xplod cdx gt550ui - $110

kenwood kdc 208u - $100
kenwood kdc 248u - $110

Will the HU bought from USA be able to play radio?

if i bought a bluetooth enabled receiver, can i add phone so that we can talk through speakers? or do i require a kit for that?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Please advice.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:54   #23
BHPian

Radio will not play as far as I know if you get a HU from US of A.. I too got it and I am unable to work it out.

For bluetooth unless the HU requires an additional Bluetooth kit it should work, check with the HU features and specifications.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Radio will not play as far as I know if you get a HU from US of A.. I too got it and I am unable to work it out.

For bluetooth unless the HU requires an additional Bluetooth kit it should work, check with the HU features and specifications.
Thats a big downer. I was actually excited to get a HU from USA. Radio is a very important requirement to be honest. Any idea why you not able to play? What does your research say?

The difference between a non-BT HU and a BT equipped HU is $70 ~3000 rupees, i am not sure if its worth it. It mentions built-in bluetooth, so it means it will work?

some BT enabled HU: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130P6200BT/Pioneer-DEH-P6200BT.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBluetooth|Built-in
Old 20th April 2011, 16:38   #25
BHPian

Well the frequencies in US are different than what is used in India, so while tuning FM in india "0" doesnt count on the HU while setting up frequencies and it skips it. I have tried everything and it doesnt work for my HU, i am using Alpine CDA117.

So any frequencies in India for eg FM95.0 does not work in my HU. Apart from this other frequencies can be stored without any issues. So FM would work but not for all stations i.e especially the frequencies which end with 0 eg 95.0. I hope this makes more sense now as I felt you absorbed from my last post that any frequencies wont work.

For bluetooth if it mentions that its inbuild then it will work.

Last edited by invincible7 : 20th April 2011 at 16:41.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Thats a big downer. I was actually excited to get a HU from USA. Radio is a very important requirement to be honest. Any idea why you not able to play? What does your research say?

The difference between a non-BT HU and a BT equipped HU is $70 ~3000 rupees, i am not sure if its worth it. It mentions built-in bluetooth, so it means it will work?

some BT enabled HU: Pioneer DEH-P6200BT CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature
get it.
radio will work.
check the tuning steps, and make sure to pick up a unit that tunes in steps of 0.1 mhz, rather than 0.2 MHz.

@invincible: see this.solution to your problem, by yours truly->

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...-stations.html

Last edited by mayankk : 20th April 2011 at 17:09.
Old 20th April 2011, 20:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks mayank and invincible for clearing up. I guess i will take the plunge then.

so which one is a better buy?

kenwood, pioneer or sony? Any chances of getting international warranty in any of these products, as in any of the above 3 supports international warranty?

i am leaning towards kenwood kdc 248u. It has all the features i require. Moreover in the spec it says it support European tuning too. Has more rms compared to pioneer HU. The only issue is it has 2-channel preamp out while others have 4 channel. I don't think this would be a deal breaker for me since amp won't be attached at all.

What you guys think?
Old 20th April 2011, 20:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

if you're leaning towards kenwood, then get kenwood.
no regrets that way.
You might have to look up a "which HU" thread, but as far as i recall from the ICE section, sony's SQ is apparently not much to write home about, and pioneer is considered the best in similar spec stereos.
but again, i aint no authority.
enjoy the shopping!!
its the best kind.
Old 21st April 2011, 08:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
if you're leaning towards kenwood, then get kenwood.
no regrets that way.
You might have to look up a "which HU" thread, but as far as i recall from the ICE section, sony's SQ is apparently not much to write home about, and pioneer is considered the best in similar spec stereos.
but again, i aint no authority.
enjoy the shopping!!
its the best kind.
will the difference be perceptible with normal jbl speakers?
Old 21st April 2011, 08:26   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey chevelle, i really dont have any idea.
I still have my stock speaker setup.
but there's huge discussions for what speakers etc over in the ICE section.
here we go:
Product Discussions - Team-BHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks