Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 18:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi RS5: OEM speaker & subwoofer upgrade / refurb

My Audi RS5 speakers need some sprucing up. The car has Audi's MMI High version of sound/infotainment. I can't seem to find any specific diagram of the sound system online but the major issue I am facing is the subwoofer that is installed on the rear parcel tray seems to be cracking. The other speakers also seem to crack slightly when i crank up the bass and volume however thats not as big an issue.

Can the subwoofer be repaired or can they be replaced as a plug and play? I do not want to get into a complicated replacement situation by opening up too many panels. Minimal invasive solution preferred. Please also recommend a good honest chap in Mumbai that could help get the job done?
Old 17th July 2020, 19:53   #2
BANNED

re: Audi RS5: OEM speaker & subwoofer upgrade / refurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I can't seem to find any specific diagram of the sound system online but the major issue I am facing is the subwoofer that is installed on the rear parcel tray seems to be cracking. The other speakers also seem to crack slightly when i crank up the bass and volume however thats not as big an issue.
I think the subwoofer is an 8" unit placed on the rear deck. Right?

You can contact Sound Factor Pro, Mumbai for the required job to be done.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 07:58   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi RS5: OEM speaker & subwoofer upgrade / refurb

Also reach out to BHPian Bass&Trouble - Ajay 9320447654. He is awesome at high-end ICE work, although I believe he's focusing more on the home entertainment scene these days.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 13:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
My Audi RS5 speakers need some sprucing up.

the major issue I am facing is the subwoofer that is installed on the rear parcel tray seems to be cracking. The other speakers also seem to crack slightly when I crank up the bass and volume
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also reach out to BHPian Bass&Trouble - Ajay 9320447654. He is awesome at high-end ICE work, although I believe he's focusing more on the home entertainment scene these days.
As GTO said. Ajay is the guy. Like GTO said Ajay is mostly into home automation and home theater nowadays.

That said my recommendation would be to find replacements for the woofer and subwoofer drivers in your system.

This "cracking" seems to signify that the foam/rubber surround of the woofers has "melted away" due to age and exposure to the dusty, saline, humid air of Mumbai.

Repairing the surrounds is an option but it is likely that the speakers will not return to original specification after repairs. If your goal is to have "operational" speakers then repair is a cheap option. If you want to have good sound that is close to original then replacement would be the way to go.

How old is the car?
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 19:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

How old is the car?
7 years now. Would a subwoofer swap be plug and play or would need cutting and interior panel opening up etc
Old 20th July 2020, 19:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sahil. Swing by sometime (Mahalaxmi), could take a quick look and see whats causing the trouble.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks