Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 19:59   #61
BANNED

It's very much happening at ICEland.
It's again done by my very own faithful installer, Zuhemi.

I should confess he has taken a lot of efforts to get the thing sound like how it should.
Old 20th July 2008, 00:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

okay three hours are up and i am waiting for the pics too any chances of any peeks?
hehe
Old 20th July 2008, 02:31   #63
BHPian

Wait we didn't see the pix of the last install, Are you still at the mini meet flaunting the new installs ?
Old 20th July 2008, 03:15   #64
BANNED

EKjaaaaaklee!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Wait we didn't see the pix of the last install, Are you still at the mini meet flaunting the new installs ?
Guys!
Yes, I was very much at the meet and I just got back home a few minutes ago. I took delivery of the car and went straight away to the meet venue and still I managed to reach there before they all split. Anyway, 3.5 hours ain't that late! LOL!!

So, let me come to the point.
First the pictures! Then we will talk about the install and it's outcome.
Remember, what went out comes first!

Name:  DSC02888 Small.JPG
Views: 948
Size:  55.2 KB
The rear doors before it was opened.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02890-small.jpg
The front. Amp under the seat and the old spacer panel removed.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02891-small.jpg
A different, close view.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02892-small.jpg
Left side!

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02894-small.jpg
My security guard doesn't part with my vehicle even while it get's repaired.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02895-medium.jpg
So that I can freely roam around.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02916-small.jpg
The seats removed.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02921-small.jpg
The HU comes out!

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02922-small.jpg
HU removed.

Continued in the next post.
Old 20th July 2008, 03:29   #65
BANNED

Continued....

Due to the upload limitation, I have to post this separately.

More pics from the install.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02917-small.jpg
Rear doorpads removed.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02918-small.jpg
The front doorpads removed. Did somebody ask where is the SUB???

All the loose damping material was replaced by fresh pieces after this.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02924-small.jpg
Another view of the dash without the HU.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02907-small.jpg
All this and my security guard is now busy with ball$.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02908-medium.jpg
And that too, a lots of them.

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02902-medium.jpg
He is too fascinated about it. Nay??

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02909-medium.jpg
Ain't he happy???

Once upon a time, a Qualis was ICED. (Again!)-dsc02919-medium.jpg
Well, they were happier with those ball$ in their hands rather than these I think.

That's all for tonight.

We haven't reached the outcome yet?? I will have to click some pics of the vehicle after the install. I haven't managed that due to the meet. Tomorrow morning, we have a big photo session of 2 cars. So, till then.... Guys!!

I will... in a short while write my first impressions and the list of equipment which went into this re-install.
Old 20th July 2008, 20:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

First impressions pleeeez! Things didn't go well for me yesterday and I couldn't visit Zuheimi, or I'd have posted my first impressions by now, even before you

Final pics also!
Old 20th July 2008, 20:48   #67
BANNED

I typed my first impressions and a quick review yesterday.
I was very careful and did take up some good time to come out with that post. But I dunno what happened, it got lost while I submitted the post. Blame S60/Airtel/Nokia.
I was so despondent and tired that I just left it as it is.

I have just got the pictures. Will transfer to my PC and upload as soon as possible.
Old 20th July 2008, 21:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

What's happening!!!

Should be new amps right and some damping? The sound stage in your Qualis was best if you sit in the rear, fixing it?
Old 20th July 2008, 22:37   #69
BHPian

Zak, congrats for the mod, but I still can't figure out what went in and what is the whole setup now. Any chance it is a 3 way comps? Waiting for the details.
Old 21st July 2008, 00:54   #70
Senior - BHPian

Oye give us pics! All that hype and no revelation yet, frsutrating
Old 21st July 2008, 04:29   #71
BANNED

Guys! You all know I'm a bit from the wierd world. So, here is the list of equipment doing job in my Qualis.

1. Alpine 9856 HU.
It's exactly the same piece I had earlier. It was given a full service at the Alpine A.S.S! I love it. Not much to be said about this unit other than; it's just a no nonsense plain jane HU with trademark Alpine sound. The framing around the HU was a bit damaged when my kid tried to pull it out one day. So, got a replacement for that.

2. Blaupunkt MP4A 4channel amp which puts out 75w of clean power per channel.
This old lady has been doing duty in the Qualis from day1 I bought this car. It was with me from a long time and is probably the only one in working condition in Kerala. Lol! Most of it's painting have flaked out and all the badgings have disappeared. It's day is long overdue but somehow works like a charm. 2channels are bridged and used for the sub. The other 2 power my speakers.

3. Connection Audison 'BEST' RCA cables.
I was under the belief that my earlier setup had Audison RCAs. It was some weeks ago that my installer told me he didn't put it last time and used that budget for other goodies.
So this time, there wasn't any confusion and I wanted not just an entry level but some good, medium level cabling. Had to shell something close to 3k or so. These came to India when this brand was still being handled by Gunbir & Co.

4. EFX speaker cables.
The older speaker cables were a bit damaged and had become sticky in some parts due to my careless abuse of the vehicle. Not that the whole thing had to be redone but I had lots of good cabling which was removed from my Alto. It was exchanged for new EFX cabling.
I think it's 18gauge or something. :stupid smilie:

5. Infinity Kappa perfect10 subwoofer.
This is one gem in my setup. It's some years old now (check earlier setup for details). This beauty gels well with my rest of the setup and kicks exactly where it's needed. The lows are handled so beautifully it gives me a lot of goosebumps all over my body (beard excluded). I am proud to say that my decision to buy an old sub for almost the price of a new one was superbly, magnificently excellent!
This one is a 10". Put in a sealed box in between the front seats and it fires downwards. Yes! A bit different from normal setups but not much compromising in listening pleasure.

6. Damping.
Fonomat and some 'indigenous' materials used this time around too. The front left door is a bit on the loose side, I just noticed it while driving home today. Will get it checked tomorrow.
Being a Qualis, it doesn't need much of heavy damping anyway.

7. Rainbow SLX series 6.5" components.
Yes! Nothing less than 7 colours. This was one big change from my earlier setup. As many of you know, I had to settle for 5.25" components last time. So, an upgrade was always in the pipeline. But I just couldn't find something which I'm comfortable with. The only ones suitable to my listening tastes came with exorbitant price tags. I used to oogle around listening to many different speakers and read boring reviews written by equally boring people.
Then Bull happened. Not that it was exactly to my tastes, but the other part.. Yaani, price tag was a mouth watering one. Still.... my heart ruled over my head and I waited.
It wasn't long before I got my hands on a pair of entry level components from Rainbow which came with it's own crossovers. We took it to the test bench and hooked it to a good stable amp which gave about 20w clean output. Man! I was clean bowled! Stumped and caught all together at the same time. The exact thing I wanted. My mate had arrived. I was pretty much sure that I'm going to buy these one day. When? I had no answer.
When Qualis was taken for the reinstall, I was in that twilight mood. My heart shouted out loud for rain and sunshine! But my brain was ruling it out due to many valid reasons. A S H V I N and JayD came between this and helped me sort out one problem by offering to buy the older components. One valid reason went down the drain. Heee haaaw! From there it didn't take long to decide on the above.
These speakers are one of the best sounding if you're into the smooth listening kind. The higher series from the Rainbow like Titanium, Germanium etc.. are more refined I've heard. But then I don't want to go into that level due to my pocket problems and just due to the satisfaction I got from the SLX series.

8. Rainbow SLX series 6.5" coaxials.
Again, Yes! The components from the rear were changed too. I don't think I have to explain why and how in this case.

So, that almost wraps up about the equipment gone into the vehicle (can the Qualis be called a Car?).

Regarding the Rainbows, before you guys jump into conclusion that I bought it because I am a friend of Gunman, I seriously recommend you to give it a listen. I'm sure many surprises will come out in different colours from your faces. The detailing and quality of the output from these are worth giving it a try.

Coming back to where I started off from, I maybe a bit wierd. But this is my first impression and an initial review of my Qualis ICE story. And after spending close to 10hours in the thingy, I think that impression is going to last for some long time ahead.

PS. Pics will come in as soon as I get to my PC.
Old 21st July 2008, 06:07   #72
BHPian

Good to see that the "Mulla" got what he wanted. But i am hungry as ever to see the installation pix. Also could u tell me the model name and the price of the components.
Old 21st July 2008, 11:32   #73
BHPian

Oye, rainbows! Arre Zak ICEland walla mullah ji. Give us an audition. Buzz me when you drive to Tvm next time. This name is in my wish list so need an audition.
Old 21st July 2008, 12:11   #74
Senior - BHPian

I was expecting a Bull and you throw a Rainbow at me! Good stuff nonetheless. Congrats on your new setup.
Old 21st July 2008, 14:06   #75
BANNED

Drive day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Buzz me when you drive to Tvm next time.
Alert!! One should always keep an eye on my location. I am not sure if I will have enough time to meet you guys.

Today is again a driving day and pics will have to wait till night. :

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks