Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2007, 15:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Or 1.1 DIN, like the HU's made by Becker etc for mostly european cars. They dont fit into single din japanese cars.
I've seen 1.5 din in receivers and there is an abundance of 0.5 din processors, what's a 1.1 din?
Old 29th March 2007, 18:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

hehehe, it's a 1 din HU that slightly larger all around because it's european and needs to be different. So it won't fit in a japanese car.
Old 1st April 2007, 13:54   #18
BHPian

Dear friends,

Among audiophiles there is a belief that bigger the better. Like valves are better than ic s etc. I also had a notion that 2 DIN will be better than single DIN.
Old 1st April 2007, 21:22   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
hehehe, it's a 1 din HU that slightly larger all around because it's european and needs to be different. So it won't fit in a japanese car.
The story is slightly longer and much more complicated than that. I learnt long ago to keep my answers short and not to get too detailed on ICE especially when Sam does not have the time to babysit my posts.

BTW, Sam, you will notice that it is only some brands that do this.
Old 1st April 2007, 22:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

We like you just the same for it, navin.

And those brands would be absolutely stubborn european ones ?
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

even pioneer (japanese) make come with more than 1 din and less than 2 din...for some american cars....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 2nd April 2007 at 01:47.
Old 2nd April 2007, 09:26   #22
Team-BHP Support

True LBM. Most Jap brands have atleast one model that has 1.1 or 1.5 DIN.
Old 19th May 2008, 20:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

I had used the JVC 900 for quite a while in the Yeti Twins & IMO the UI was not at all user-friendly. Most functions were hard to access & it was unnecessarily complicated to use. It was not intuitive to use at all.

I would prefer a simpler single-din HU to a fiddly touch screen like the JVC.
Old 19th May 2008, 22:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I had used the JVC 900 for quite a while in the Yeti Twins & IMO the UI was not at all user-friendly. Most functions were hard to access & it was unnecessarily complicated to use. It was not intuitive to use at all. I would prefer a simpler single-din HU to a fiddly touch screen like the JVC.
As much as I agree with you, there are many people who want a reverse camera, bluetooth, DVD video etc in their dash. Besides, it would be fair to compare the UI with other 2DIN DVD HUs.
Old 19th May 2008, 23:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
As much as I agree with you, there are many people who want a reverse camera, bluetooth, DVD video etc in their dash. Besides, it would be fair to compare the UI with other 2DIN DVD HUs.
Agreed, I don't want any of them gadgets in my car anyway so it would not be my choice. Plus, based on my experience, which is largely with single DIN HU's, I would think the review would be biased towards single-DIN's.
Old 20th May 2008, 16:49   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Gunbir,

Today many cars are offering 2 DIN slots for the HU. My friend recently bought a toyota innova and it has a 2 DIN slot. In fact a 1DIN HU looks funny in that slot so ginve this which HU in your opinion has the best UI. A UI comparable to a 1 DIN HU.

What I fail to understand is why most manufacturers of 2 DIN HUs insist on using "touch-scream". The tactile feel of buttons and knobs is most essential in a car.
Old 20th May 2008, 19:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What I fail to understand is why most manufacturers of 2 DIN HUs insist on using "touch-scream". The tactile feel of buttons and knobs is most essential in a car.
I'm sure you must have experienced Alpine's PulseTouch tech on some of their DVD HUs. It was very nice to use, with proper tactile feedback. Though I think they have left it out on the new W505, I maybe wrong though.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm sure you must have experienced Alpine's PulseTouch tech on some of their DVD HUs. It was very nice to use, with proper tactile feedback. Though I think they have left it out on the new W505, I maybe wrong though.
Actually no I have not. I have not really got a lot experience with 2 DIN HUs or even any with motorised panels. Alpine did make a lot of noise about this technology a few years ago.

I assume this technology similar to that on the Apple phone? I dd not like the Apple phone version. While there was some tactile feedback it was nothing like a button and with buttons one can feel the edges with a screen one does not know if one has hit the right button. Also in direct sunlight are these screens readbale?

I liked the old alpine units where the front screen can tilt for better readability. Do the new 2 DIN / motorised ones also offer this?
Old 21st May 2008, 11:47   #29
Team-BHP Support

I know the JVC 900 has the tilt feature for better readability angle.
Old 21st May 2008, 12:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

My pioneer AVH-4950dvd becomes blank in sunlight i have to tilt it to see the screen it acts the same like a cell phone screen in afternoon where u need to keep your hand for some shadows too see who's message is it

Most Viewed