Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2022, 23:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: High-powered amplifiers, subwoofers and battery drain

I have a question - I would like the Amps to run only when engine is running. Is there a ready made solution to this? Or at least a cutoff for the amp when battery voltage goes down a certain level? I searched for these products but couldn't find it. Hence any leads/other solution will be appreciated. I'm worried that my dad or the driver might run the audio system when doing errands and engine off and hence might get stranded. Hence I want a solution that would just turn off the Amps using the REM wire when the engine is off.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 13:50   #17
BHPian

Update to the Battery Drain Issue in my Thar

The issue was probably due to long listening music hours in car specially the audio tuning with pink noise with all components drawing lot of power. Tested thoroughly at Mahindra ASC there is zero current leakage, thanks to Mahindra the electrician tested the things very patiently.

The alternator is supposed to perform at its max over 2000 rpm vs idling speeds which is why my battery was getting drained. As already highlighted by bhpian Turbanator the current drawn was more than what was fed back by the alternator. Mahindra ASC provided a test report of the current fed by the alternator at different rpms above 2k all were fine.

Its been over a month and I have not faced the issue again despite of doing the audio settings few times. This time I made sure to increase the rpms after 30-40 minutes above 2k for few seconds so that alternator keeps charging it before gravity goes down too low.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 10:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I have a question - I would like the Amps to run only when engine is running. Is there a ready made solution to this? Or at least a cutoff for the amp when battery voltage goes down a certain level?
Checking on this old query .. did you manage to get a solution . I was planning to install under-seat active subwoofer and came across this model (Pioneer TS-WX130EA) . Apparently it has class D amplifier , which realizes low power consumption and direct connection to the car battery is not necessary. Any thoughts?
Old 11th August 2023, 11:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarish84 View Post
Checking on this old query .. did you manage to get a solution . I was planning to install under-seat active subwoofer and came across this model (Pioneer TS-WX130EA) . Apparently it has class D amplifier , which realizes low power consumption and direct connection to the car battery is not necessary. Any thoughts?
No I didnt find a solution or rather I didnt try further. In my case I was running a Class D four channel amp and a Class AB monoblock amp for the sub woofer and hence I was concerned about battery drain. Both amplifiers were wired to the battery using separate wiring and fuse and were triggered by the head unit amplifier trigger and not signal based. It is true that Class D amps are quite efficient and draw less power than their Class A and AB counterparts. But I am not the expert for deciding connection to a source other than the battery.

I sold the car a few months after the audio upgrade and hence this topic got closed on its own. I sold the car to my best friend and advised him not to run the audio system with engine off for more than a few minutes.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 18:52   #20
BANNED

Quote:
I have a question - I would like the Amps to run only when engine is running.
This is relatively easy on mid + dsps and amps, not too sure on budget amps. Will find out.

One can either have the dsps and amps to auto turn on when they sense audio signal or dc offset (when car turns on) or hardwire it to one of the accessory fuses!
Old 11th August 2023, 19:46   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterdaysnews View Post
One can either have the dsps and amps to auto turn on when they sense audio signal or dc offset (when car turns on) or hardwire it to one of the accessory fuses!
I wanted the amp to turn on only when engine was running or say when the system voltage was above 13.2V. I have tried this auto turn on feature in my celerios active sub but it turned out to be a battery drainer since the slightest electrical signal would turn it on.
Old 11th August 2023, 21:02   #22
BANNED

Quote:
I wanted the amp to turn on only when engine was running or say when the system voltage was above 13.2
I am getting my dsp + amps to turn on only when engine is on - with DC offset. Installation is in progress, I’ll make sure to ask how they doing this and update here. We are not hardwiring for sure.
Yesterdaysnews is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks