Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 12:45   #1

Seltos ICE shuts off when I open the door, after turning the engine off

Hi Guys,

My friend has recently bought a Kia Seltos and when we were taking it out on a drive, we stopped and switched off the car and continued to listen to music. When she opened the driver door, the infotainment system switched off and we had to start the car again to switch it on. I never noticed anything like this before as in my 2008 civic, when I leave my keys in the ignition hole, the music system continues operating well. This seems a little counterintuitive, why would I want my music to stop when I open my door? It makes sense when I lock the car and not when I open the door.

It would be great if someone can advise if this can be fixed or is it something we need to learn to live with?
srikacharla123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Seltos infotainment system shuts off when I open the door of the car after turning the engine of

May be the car is programmed to switch off the accessories when the driver's door is opened after the engine is switched off.

When the driver's door is opened, the driver will be alighting the vehicle. If the driver alights the car, why should the music system remain On?
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:38   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Seltos infotainment system shuts off when I open the door of the car after turning the engine of

It's not a bug - it's a feature . When you switch the engine off, the music continues playing as you are still in the car. Open the door and it's clearly time for exit, so why should the music system continue playing?

In the 1% chance you want it to play, just restart it in accessory mode!

Someone in the Hyundai-Kia group must have had a bad experience with a dead battery and has gone on "full hyper" mode . Many Hyundai-Kias have a master "off" button in the fuse box, the cabin lights will go off if you accidentally leave them turned on, this door-open and music off behaviour you mentioned, I remember some warning on the head-unit about battery drain if you play it for a long time in ignition-on mode, some Hyundais have their headlights switch off after a couple of minutes of locking the car (if you accidentally left them on)...the list goes on.

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2020 at 14:44.
GTO is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Seltos ICE shuts off when I open the door, after turning the engine off

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikacharla123 View Post
When she opened the driver door, the infotainment system switched off and we had to start the car again to switch it on...
That's what it is supposed to do right? How will the car know that you just simply opened and still sitting inside or you opened the door, stepped out, closed and went away? What is otherwise the stop criteria that you are expecting here, sorry.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 16:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
That's what it is supposed to do right? How will the car know that you just simply opened and still sitting inside or you opened the door, stepped out, closed and went away? What is otherwise the stop criteria that you are expecting here, sorry.
I think the stop criteria should be when the key is outside the car or when we physically press the button to shut the car doors. A lot of times the driver gets out of the car but there are people inside listening to music and this would not enable us to do that.
srikacharla123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 17:41   #6
BHPian

These things are clearly mentioned in the user manual, right? Did you or your friend check that?

When you become a proud owner of a new car, I recommend everyone to spend a day or two and go through the user manual end-to-end. There are so many little, but extremely crucial things mentioned which should not catch you by surprise out on a highway!.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 17:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Many cars are wired up like this. Same on our Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 18:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
These things are clearly mentioned in the user manual, right? Did you or your friend check that?
Spot on.

Below the snippet from Seltos user manual:

Seltos ICE shuts off when I open the door, after turning the engine off-screenshot_20201025183345_drive2.jpg

And it makes sense too for various reasons.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 25th October 2020 at 18:40.
balenoed_ is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 20:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikacharla123 View Post
Hi Guys,

My friend has recently bought a Kia Seltos and when we were taking it out on a drive, we stopped and switched off the car and continued to listen to music. When she opened the driver door, the infotainment system switched off and we had to start the car again to switch it on. I never noticed anything like this before as in my 2008 civic, when I leave my keys in the ignition hole, the music system continues operating well. This seems a little counterintuitive, why would I want my music to stop when I open my door? It makes sense when I lock the car and not when I open the door.

It would be great if someone can advise if this can be fixed or is it something we need to learn to live with?
Even my 2019 Ecosport has similar function. The music continues to play even after switching off the car but as soon as I open the driver door the infotainment system shuts off completely.
Sahilrai166 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 21:10   #10
BHPian

My Ford Figo Aspire Titanium does the same trick. Music will continue to play even after turning off the car & taking the key out till I open the driver side door. Music stops as soon as the door is opened. To keep it playing, one needs to keep the car on at accessories mode !!

This is a feature found in many other cars !!

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 21:53   #11
BHPian

If you do not want that to happen, try this.

Switch off engine. Press the start/stop button (twice), without depressing the clutch pedal (if it is manual transmission). Accessory mode will be switched on. Open the door and voila.. music continues to play!
OrangeCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 03:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nothing strange, doesn’t seem like a bug. My 2012 Fusion does this too. Music turns off and calls are routed through phone’s earpiece when I open the door or use the functions for 30 minutes. (IIRC)
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 10:06   #13
BHPian

This seems more of a courtsey feature or a battery drain safeguard than a bug.

My 2011 Jazz has a feature that even after turning off the ignition and removing the keys, the power windows are operational for 5 minutes or till you open any of the door - whichever of the two events happen first.
Old 1st November 2020, 10:39   #14
BHPian

I actually love this feature on my Ecosport. The car is intelligent enough to know that I’m still in the car until I’ve opened the driver door. I think you’ll be habitual of it in no time. Between opening the door and locking the car to switch off system, I’d like to think opening the door is just more intuitive - or people like me will always be engaged to confirm if everything is off or not after I lock the car. I can imagine myself losing sleep when I lock using key remote - did I leave the burner on?
Chugh_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 11:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is a feature on my Figo as well, will just need to power on the accessory mode if we need to switch it on again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks