Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2007, 02:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Setup for an Indica

The powers that be ( My folks ) have decided that they're buying an indica Diesel. Personally, me not much of a car enthu , but ICE ...

Now the problem is that I'm used to getting my daily dose of decibels from a Pair of floorstanders with 8 inch woofers, and that too augmented by a 12 inch sub at home . And I'm kinda drawn towards that sweet , slow bass from those floorstanders. Most of the pimped audios in cars i hear are mainly tuned towards max mid or SPL . Me , At least I've graduated beyond that phase .

I dont listen to a lot of dance , or pop either. I listen to older stuff. Jazz, Country, and for that , deep and mid bass makes them sound very different ( as most of y'all would already know !) . I just want adequate resolution of the highs (i dont want the sparkling treble. a laid back sound is what I'd like.. But bass? weighted, and lots of it Please ) I guess That a sub is mandatory, or will it be overkill for an indica?

From what i read from the previous posts here , I think a Pio HU would be a good beginnning (which one ) . As far as speakers are concerned, me a bit partial towards JBL) However , me willing to sacrifice all prejudices in the name of good sound. i think i can spare =< 25k .Me from Trivandrum, but i guess i can source stuff thru my friends @ chennai, but thats about it .

TIA for the advice

Note from mod: Using more than 2 smileys per post is not permitted, please go through the announcements section before posting

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th May 2007 at 18:21.
Old 8th April 2007, 10:35   #2
BHPian

Hello Greenhorn,Welcome to Team-bhp....
Am not so gud in ICE department....but shall try helping you

Pioneer DEHP 6850 MP - 9k
JBL GTO 507 Ce Components - front speakers - around 5.5k
JBL GTO 937 6X9 ovals -for rear - costs around 4.3k
JBL CS60.4- 4 channel amp - costs around 7.8k

That comes to around 26k....
well i have the GTo 937 in my baleno and they produce awsome bass.
In the setup i mentioned ,u can always add on a sub later on and hook it to the amplifier....in that case the GTo 937 can be run off the Pioneer HU...
Old 8th April 2007, 11:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks!

thanks for the Advice Hari . I saw the 937's at a few dealers in Tvm, and also the Pio HU that cheap? the shop i checked showed me a kenwood 5029 for 9k, and said Pio's are more expensive. Where are these prices from ?

ok, and I know that there is no such thing as too much, but am i going overboard?
two more things, what size sub can i fit into an indica without eating up the entire luggage area. Also, the components are all fine , but how do they sound ? I'd rather my setup sounded mellow and warm, rather than with bass and treble pumped up to the max

on an entirely different note, seems my folks want my input on car choice. Personally, i just want to know which sub 3.5Lac car is the best suited to drop those JBL's into

my folks are also considering a wagon R duo, but i hate the long throws of maruti gearboxes . zats why me talking them into buying the indica diesel, and the cheaper the car , the more i can invest in the sound (which is what matters to me !)

I have some experience with DIY and HiFi's , but right now , i dont want to spend time /effort tweaking my ICE . I just want one which sounds reasonably close to the setup i have at home

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th May 2007 at 18:22.
Old 8th April 2007, 12:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Laid back speakers

Just went thru a few old threads, and seems Jbl's aint the most neutral speakers around . But i think in Tvm my choices are limited :( . what can i get in these here parts which sound classy and laid back. and well defined bass rather than plain SPL .
Thx
Old 8th April 2007, 15:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
ok, and I know that there is no such thing as too much, but am i going overboard?
two more things, what size sub can i fit into an indica without eating up the entire luggage area. Also, the components are all fine , but how do they sound ? I'd rather my setup sounded mellow and warm, rather than with bass and treble pumped up to the max
Quote:
I have some experience with DIY and HiFi's , but right now , i dont want to spend time /effort tweaking my ICE . I just want one which sounds reasonably close to the setup i have at home
From your post, you definitely know what you want, and you definitely have good taste. DIY? We are short of DIYers here and Navin (our MOD) has a soft spot for all DIYers. Welcome to TBHP ICE.

BTW, it looks like we both have the same taste in music. I'm a bluegrass, country, acoustic rock, blues and jazz guy too. (With a bit of most other genres thrown in).

Getting your car to sound like your home setup without tweaking is a bit of an uphill task. Be prepared to spend lots of money on equipment and lots of time tweaking

See below for equipment.

Quote:
on an entirely different note, seems my folks want my input on car choice. Personally, i just want to know which sub 3.5Lac car is the best suited to drop those JBL's into

my folks are also considering a wagon R duo, but i hate the long throws of maruti gearboxes . zats why me talking them into buying the indica diesel, and the cheaper the car , the more i can invest in the sound (which is what matters to me !)
You definitely got your priorities right

The Wagon R is not so good for ICE. Very small front speaker locations (no bigger than 4") and no good locations for rear speakers. And typically thin Maruti bodypanels. (No offense to Wagon R owners here).

In that range I'd recommend a Palio (now I'm going to get flamed) for good ICE work. Sollllid body panels. Least amount of damping required. Good stock speaker locations. Very VFM car for the money. IF you can stand bad after sales service. I drive a Palio and I'm very happy with my car -- ICE-wise and car-wise. VMMV.

The Indica is also ok. But some work will be needed to get speakers into the front doors. The stock location on the dash is bad.

The Santro can be considered, but some money will have to be spent on damping the doors and boot.

Quote:
Just went thru a few old threads, and seems Jbl's aint the most neutral speakers around . But i think in Tvm my choices are limited :( . what can i get in these here parts which sound classy and laid back. and well defined bass rather than plain SPL .
Thx
Yep. JBLs tend to be a bit bright. Options in TVM are pretty limited, buddy -- equipment-wise and installer-wise. Come down to Kochi and we can rock!

25K is quite low (sorry) for the kind of music you want. You definitely need a 12" sub (and so an amp). Maybe you do the system in 2 stages.

-------------------------------------------------------
STAGE 1
:
HU: Alpine 9856 at 12K I think. (I'd have also suggested a Pio 6950, but recently another member swapped a Pio 6950 for a Alpine 9856 with very good results).
Front Speakers (6.5" components): From your description, you'll like the sound of Hertz Hi-Energys (and maybe Energys) or Alpine Type Rs or Infinity Kappas. Price is the issue here :-(. To keep you in budget, I'd suggest Hertz ESK165s (2-way components; 9K).
Damping(doors): 2K
Stage 1 total = 23K.

Stage 2:
Sub: JBL GT4-12 (12") in a ported box at 5K + 1.5K = 6.5K. Or a pricier Hertz ES300 (12") at 9K + 1.5K = 10.5K
Amp: JBL GTO75.4 @ 14K
Wiring (Power & RCA): 2K for power. 2K for a pair of RCA cables (Audison)
Damping (boot & other): 2-3K

Stage 2 total = 28K (about -- fuzzy total).
-------------------------------------------------------

After stage 2, you can run your front speakers & the sub from the amp. Rear speakers, if installed can be run off the HU.

You can also get rear speakers in stage 1 if budget allows. Matching rear speakers will be ECX130 at 5.7K.

BTW, I'm partial to Hertz and I run Hertz in my car. Listen to other brands also before you decide. I just felt that considering that we listen to similar music, you might also like their sound. But you will be hard pressed to listen to nearly anything in TVM.

Last edited by hydrashok : 8th April 2007 at 15:19.
Old 8th April 2007, 15:52   #6
BHPian

Pio Sub !!!!

What about a new pio sub 307 DVC in delhi it costs around 4k.
Old 8th April 2007, 16:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Where can i get an audition of these here brands that you speak of in ekm?
Also, my budget split is tilted more in favour of the speakers/boxes/ mounting and less in favour of the electronics. I once made the grave mistake of splitting my budget 50-50 for my home system, expecting the electronics to take care of the hardware limitations , and regretted it every single day.
Btw, dont think my home setup is no great shakes Its a locally brewed setup with locally custom made amp, and the floorstanders have a philips dome tweeter and bolton 8 inchers . The sub is my biggest mistake .. a friend of mine had a 12 inch sony Xplod lying around. Decided to try to integrate them into my home setup. A greater mismatch was never made the damn sub lies quiet till the biggest booms come , and at lower volumes , is quite non existent. Thankfully, the front speakers do their job of handling the rest of the bass well
Bottom line , methinks i shall have a <10 K each for the HU and amp. or do you think there will a HUGE difference between these 30K HU + amp combo and the 20K HU + amp combo?

some other things.
Will i need to make a rear MDF shelf or keep the speakers on the sides?
What about the enclosures . I know that the enclosure of the sub is critical. Me willing to stretch me budget a bit on that .
Cabling. I'm not a big believer in the cable myth. Any reasonably good OFC cable is good enough for me.
padding/ any treatment for the car .I guess the resale value of the indica is no great shakes. so I have no great qualms about doing any work on it.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 14th May 2007 at 18:23.
Old 8th April 2007, 16:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

I just saw that there are some Pio units that read directly off usb . I'd Absolutely love that ! any idea about their costs?

PS. Any idea when this moderation of my posts ends? this is beginning to become a drag :(
Old 8th April 2007, 19:17   #9
BHPian

The Pioneer 7950UB with USB is for 10k in Mumbai...grey, without B/W. Should be around the same there!
Old 9th April 2007, 00:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Greenhorn,
Good to see you're such an ice freak. Actually the ''SETUP'' in this is, that u were "setup" into buying an Indica.
Pl read the rules before posting. U are using too many smilies for mod comfort. Just to inform you, a newbie, dont use more than 2 smilies per post as against 22 which u are using Read the rules NOW buddy.
So make sure u stick to the rules mate or infractions will follow.
Take care and enjoy your stay at Team-Bhp
Old 9th April 2007, 00:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey, any home audio setup done by DIY deserves respect. As for the Xplods, you'll find that most of us have the same (low) opinion about them as you do.

About the audition, If you're in Kochi on a weekend and give us Kochi folks enough advance notice, I think the Kochi BHPians can about cover all the brands with our cars Else I'd suggest Emperor Car Accessories (in Palarivattom, near Varkeys).

About the electronics, a decent HU is a must. With a minimum of 2 pre-outs (ideally 3). 8K should about hold you there for the HU. You'll need a minimum of 7K more for a good 4-ch Amp (Pio 6100/6200). You'll get a Sony for less, but for driving speakers, better stay away from Sony (Maybe ok for a sub).

Between a 30K HU + Amp and a 20K HU + Amp there is not likely to be a *huge* difference. But at that price point, some of us may find the extra improvement to be worth the extra money.

As you said, the install is most of the job. A good install can make even mediocre equipment sound good (and vice versa). About a sub-enclosure, that will not be much of a problem here, and a sub-box will not run to more than 1500/-unless you want some extra stuff done (or you want a really good port or something like that).

For an Indica, you will need a rear MDF shelf. No stock locations in the back.

Ummm, cabling is important. To the extent that in a car environment, shielding plays a very important role. And if you don't get good quality power cable (of the correct gauge) you're in for trouble in the long run. Your amps won't get clean power, and their output will suffer. Good RCAs do make a difference. If you get really good equipment, skimping on the cables will make them a bottleneck.

By padding/treatment, I guess you mean vibration damping. Yep. A damped car sounds much better than a non-damped car with the same equipment. And in some cases, without damping, all you'll hear will be the rattles from the doors and various bits of trim.

On when the moderation will end: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...planation.html
Hang in there till you complete 50 posts.

As V16 said, go easy on the smileys. 2 per post is the limit.
Old 9th April 2007, 09:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hey guys there is still a 2 smiley rule in force!
Old 9th April 2007, 09:48   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just went thru a few old threads, and seems Jbl's aint the most neutral speakers around .
Dont base your opinion on threads and heresay. LISTEN for yourself.
Old 9th April 2007, 10:08   #14
Team-BHP Support

Greenhorn, The audio chain is only as strong as the weakest link. SO try to keep all the components at about the same level. There is a stick for systems upto 30K on this forum. It just might help you to formalise your thoughts.

Rule 1 of Audio: FIX YOUR BUDGET. Tattoo it to your forehead if need be.

Since you are into DIY there are tips and tricks you can do that will strech your system's sound. So your 25K system can sound like a 35K system.

1. Is 25K your real budget.
2. Do you intend to upgrade and build your system slowly
3. How much boot space are you willing to sacrifice.

pardon me if some of these questions are repeats but your earlier posts were too smiley filled for me to follow properly.

If all you intend to spend is 25K with no further upgradtions. I'd spend 8K on a HU wtih 3 pre outs. 7K on the Pio 6100/6200 amp. 6K on front components (I assume Tata Indica or Palio). 4K on rear coax and 4K on a Pio sub in box.
Old 9th April 2007, 10:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

The Wagon R is not so good for ICE. Very small front speaker locations (no bigger than 4") and no good locations for rear speakers. And typically thin Maruti bodypanels. (No offense to Wagon R owners here).

The Indica is also ok. But some work will be needed to get speakers into the front doors. The stock location on the dash is bad.

I dont exactly agree with that , though i dont personally own a wagon R , my cousin in delhi does and he had a pretty economical ice setup as well . A Pioneer 4850 HU , Alpine 4 CH AMP,Front Pioneer Dash Speakers ( Dont know which one ), Pioneer Sub and Rear Pioneer 6"X9" ovals. When he turned it on Zoukkksss something hit me real hard from behind , it was the tremendous bass of the punjabi number he was playing
. The entire setup costed him around 17k~18k (that was two years ago ) but all items were without b/w

Most Viewed