Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 14:22   #1
BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 ICE upgrade - Need some help from the gurus

Hello everyone.

Just booked an XUV300 W8(o) variant and will be getting delivery by the end of the month. While the car does come with 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and a 7" touchscreen HU that supports android auto/carplay - the sound quality was fairly average and not at all fun to listen to. I am not sure what brand speakers are OEM components in the car.

I do not wish to change the HU - there are a lot of features like TPMS and reverse cam and driving diagnostic info etc that are already integrated into the HU. I was thinking of changing the speakers without making any modifications that could void the warranty.

I did not find any thread dedicated to XUV300 so thought I will create this. I am an absolute novice when it comes to audio systems. I did not want to write a "please tell me what to put" query without doing my homework and I did read up online about the various options. However, most of the things like impedance and DSP and whatnot went straight over my head

Mahindra offers the following options at the showroom level and you can get these fixed during delivery -

Speakers:
1. Sony XS XB1641 INR5k
2. Sony XS XB1621C INR7k
3. Sony XS FB1621C INR3.5k
4. Sony XS FB132E INR1.7k

Amplifiers:
1. Sony XM N502 INR6k
2. Sony XM N1004 INR8k
3. Sony XM N400D INR10k

I had the following queries -
1. Are the options mentioned above worth considering? Will they be a good improvement over the stock setup?

2. Will changing the 4 speakers be enough or should I change the 4 speakers + 2 tweeters?

3. Would changing the speakers mean that I need an amplifier as well? Should I get a 2 channel one or a 4? I do not intend to put a sub-woofer because of lack of boot space.

4. Are there other options that I can consider? My budget is around INR25k and the guys at the showroom said I can get items myself and they would install it for me during delivery.

5. Should I get damping or any other such sound-proofing exercise done?

Thank you all for your help! Looking forward to your inputs. I will update this thread with the final decision I take, along with pics.
shreyascashyap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 16:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV300 ICE upgrade - Need some help from the gurus

Congrats on the new vehicle

If you are looking for 'just an improvement' over the OE sound quality, these options are good, otherwise there are plenty of better options available in market (speaking only with my experience. Had entry level Sony co-ax fitted in my Ritz and recently replaced with Polk & JBL. I still have N1004 amplifier in my Nissan Sunny, output is no where close to the decade old Pioneer amplifier I have as backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
I had the following queries
Answering your queries,
1) Improvement over stock speakers - Yes

2) Changing only 4 speakers (considering all 4 co-axials) there won't be any frequency control on OE tweeter. In other words, you get too many high frequencies. Either disconnect OE tweeters or go for a proper 4+2 setup

3) All 4 speakers that you listed can work without an amplifier, but they won't be performing at it's designed spec. XS FB132E has the RMS wattage close to OE spec. In my understanding this speaker can be used without an amplifier.

Speaking about 4 channel or 2 channel, if you are gonna use XS FB132E at rear and any of the 2 component speakers on front, 2 channel is sufficient. Otherwise you need a 4 ch amplifier to drive all 4 speakers

4) Showroom offering to install bought out parts by themselves is a welcome move. If possible, have a audition with different models and then decide based on your liking

5) Better to get it done. I experienced a good improvement in SQ after damping.
Mr.Boss is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 11:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV300 ICE upgrade - Need some help from the gurus

Quote:
Just booked an XUV300 W8(o) variant and will be getting delivery by the end of the month. While the car does come with 4 speakers, 2 tweeters

I do not wish to change the HU

Speakers:
1. Sony XS XB1641 INR5k
2. Sony XS XB1621C INR7k

Amplifiers:
2. Sony XM N1004 INR8k

I had the following queries -
1. Are the options mentioned above worth considering? Will they be a good improvement over the stock setup?

2. Will changing the 4 speakers be enough or should I change the 4 speakers + 2 tweeters?

3. Would changing the speakers mean that I need an amplifier as well? Should I get a 2 channel one or a 4? I do not intend to put a sub-woofer because of lack of boot space.

4. Are there other options that I can consider? My budget is around INR25k and the guys at the showroom said I can get items myself and they would install it for me during delivery.

1. Of the choices Mahindra has provided I have highlighted in bold what I think is your best option. These include 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and an amplifier.

2. The front speakers Mahindra has provided are component speakers. In that, they are made of 2 discrete (separate) components a woofer and a tweeter. The XB1621C is such a speaker. There are other brands that also offer similar speakers and might sound better than Sony.

3. You do NOT need an amplifier to drive these speakers. An amplifier will, however, offer you 2 advantages - higher sound levels and better definition in the bass.

4. There are several good speaker brands in India including (but not limited to) Morel, DLS, Focal, Infinity, JBL, and Alpine. Keep in mind that companies like Kenwood/JVC, Pioneer, Sony, etc that make the electronics might not be making the best speakers.

5. Damping is always a good idea. Get at least the 4 doors done.

Hope this helps.
navin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 09:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone.

Just booked an XUV300 W8(o) variant and will be getting delivery by the end of the month. While the car does come with 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and a 7" touchscreen HU that supports android auto/carplay - the sound quality was fairly average and not at all fun to listen to. I am not sure what brand speakers are OEM components in the car.
Off topic but I just wanted to throw light on an important point here. The XUV delivery by the end of this month doesn't look possible. All SAs are accepting booking amounts by mentioning a waiting period of 2 to 3 weeks. This is not true, the waiting period is at least 2 months for the XUV now. I booked my XUV W8 (O) on Oct 16th with no delivery vehicle in sight. I wrote multiple times to Mahindra and I got a response saying there is huge demand and we are not able to meet the demand in the near future. My vehicle delivery date has been moved to Dec 15th tentatively. I am not sure it will be delivered until the end of the year.

I don't think the situation is restricted to Hyd. Please speak to your SA about it, with the current surge in demand and THAR being a high priority for M&M, XUV300's delivery will take some time. Please be mentally prepared for it. If you get it on time, great!
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 12:48   #5
BHPian

The xuv stock speakers have decent mids and high. Bass is nonexistent and lack of crossovers meant the sound was below average. I had upgraded my front speakers to Infinity Reference 6530cx and rear to 6532c2 coaxials, damped with Dr. Artex Iridium damping after retaining the head unit.

After the upgrade there was a huge improvement in sound quality but had one issue. Some of the bass frequencies were not sounding right when playing at higher volumes, which got sorted out after reducing the levels on the equalizers at 100 hz, but the bass was lost. Then transferred the speakers to my friends Celerio with a Blaupunkt LB970 android unit and they sound absolutely awesome. I switched back to stock after realising that HU was unable to drive these speakers. infinity Primus series may be a better option for these HUs.Some others in the xuv 300 have upgraded their speakers alone with Focal auditor series with no such issues.

With Amps, there are many better speakers like Polk Audio DB, focal, hertz, alpine s series, infinity reference, JBL than sony

Mahindra M2ALL offers good packages using hertz components, coax, sub and amps and to be fitted at the dealership. Though on the expensive side, the options are very logical. You may wish to consider that.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 21st November 2020 at 12:51.
Sridhar K is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:42   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Of the mentioned options, I would get some better quality speakers. In the case of the amplifier, the Sony XM-N1004 is decent option.

Quote:
Change everything as a set i.e. components for the front (includes tweeters) and coaxial for the rear.

Quote:
3. Would changing the speakers mean that I need an amplifier as well? Should I get a 2 channel one or a 4? I do not intend to put a sub-woofer because of the lack of boot space.
Get a 4-channel one that will run the front and rear speakers.

Quote:
For ₹25,000, options that I can think of:

Amplifier: Pioneer GM-8704, Sony XM-N1004, Kenwood KAC-PS704EX.
Front Speakers: JL Audio C1-650, Helix L-62c, Polk dB+ 6502, Morel Maximo 6, JBL GTO-609C.
Rear Speakers: JL Audio C1-650x, Helix L-6x, Polk dB+ 652, Morel Maximo 6C.

Negotiate hard and get them for a cheaper price so that they fall in your desired budget.

Quote:
This step alone shall make a lot of difference in terms of cabin insulation and better perception of the audio experience. Should cost around ₹10,000 maximum for 4 doors for the likes of Dr.Artex or Vobrofiltr or DampMat or Vibromax, STP.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd November 2020 at 11:51.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post

Please speak to your SA about it, with the current surge in demand and THAR being a high priority for M&M, XUV300's delivery will take some time. Please be mentally prepared for it. If you get it on time, great!
AFAIK Thar is assembled on Scorpio TCF line while XUV300 has a separate line (previously used for Verito).

I doubt your conclusion of M&M prioritizing the Thar has anything to do with XUV300 delivery, both may be happening but cannot be the reason for each other.
Old 24th May 2021, 20:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you all for your help! Looking forward to your inputs. I will update this thread with the final decision I take, along with pics.
I am in the same boat right now. Recently took delivery of my W8(o) and the speakers are mediocre at best.
Which upgrade did you end up going with?
Old 25th May 2021, 10:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
I am in the same boat right now. Recently took delivery of my W8(o) and the speakers are mediocre at best.
Which upgrade did you end up going with?
I've kept the stock speakers as it is and installed a zook monster active underseat subwoofer. It's definitely not audiophile level sound but there's enough improvement that I don't feel like I've made a mistake every time I get inside the car

I still have plans for upgrading the speakers, but maybe once all this uncertainty and pandemic situation dies down. For now, didn't want to spend too much.
shreyascashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 21:46   #10
BHPian

I've decided to go with Focal speakers. Talked to the showroom guys, since they kinda owe me some money back, so I'll have a lower overall bill there.
Will share updates as and when the occur.
Old 11th June 2021, 14:19   #11
BHPian

I have cancelled getting speakers from the showroom. The only intention behind that was the showroom owed me some money back, and I thought it would be convenient to sort some of it right there.
But now that the amount is fairly low, I'll get better bang for my buck outside.
Car Cupid is one of the biggest dealers here in Pune. That would be my first stop.
They have stuff like Audison, Hertz, Focal etc. Hoping for a decent upgrade.
Old 13th June 2021, 07:00   #12
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5080620 (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review)

My speaker upgrade post from the XUV300 thread. Though I'd just share the link instead of posting the whole reply all over again.

Short summary: Went with Hertz Dieci DSK165.3 and DCX165.3. Great sounding pair.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 20:24   #13
BHPian

Bumping up thread again since I m looking for inputs on upgrading ICE in my w8 (o) which I have booked !

Looking for reccomendationa from owners who upgrades through mahindra as well as those who did from outside as well. The m2all website has numerous options , though most are shown as out of stock .

All inputs appreciated
Rollingwheels26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 01:58   #14

Quote:
I've kept the stock speakers as it is and installed a zook monster active underseat subwoofer. It's definitely not audiophile level sound but there's enough improvement that I don't feel like I've made a mistake every time I get inside the car

I still have plans for upgrading the speakers, but maybe once all this uncertainty and pandemic situation dies down. For now, didn't want to spend too much.
I too plan to do the same. Could you confirm if the OE HU has a seperate line for bass and has LPF provisions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks