Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2007, 18:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

ICE upgrade : Honda CR-V

Hi did a search on this but couldnt find exact info am looking for. Just bought a black honda crv manual and not really happy with the sound quality. Am looking on changing the setup and will be thankful to you if you could help me in making the right decision. Looking for 2 sets of components each for front and back doors. A coxial at the extreme end of the trunk. A sub 1 or may be 2. A new dvd player , 2din. Music i listen to 80s rock, alternative rock, pop, at times house. Looking sumthing 4 clear wide open mids n highs n soft bass frm subs not hard hiting 1. 1. I'd like to know about brands like focal and image dynamics. How would grade them on sound quality out of 5? Anyone experienced both of them. Incase there is not much of difference among the 2 might just settle down with ID. Am open to any other hi ends brands. 2.. Which make of amps would be suitable to either of them, which dvd player would be the right one pioneer or alpine, And lastly any idea about good quality sound instalerin bombay. Would appreciate sum detail info. Thank you in advance to all those who would help me in taking the right decision.
Old 9th April 2007, 19:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

For rock, electronica, get good component speakers that can play low and have plenty of power handling, and help their cause further by ensuring a good amount of damping. I think you should be ok with just two pairs of speakers, in the front and rear doors. One good quality 12" sub should suffice if you dont intend to go very loud.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 9th April 2007 at 19:21.
Old 9th April 2007, 19:55   #3
BHPian

Cr-v

Hi Invisible,

I have a CR-V 2007 and recently upgraded the audio. Will be posting the new setup in a few days time. I have aimed for good quality and resolution while maintaining stock locations as much as possible. You really cant see all the new stuff thats gone in. Incase this interests you... stay tuned.
Old 9th April 2007, 20:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
For rock, electronica, get good component speakers that can play low and have plenty of power handling, and help their cause further by ensuring a good amount of damping. I think you should be ok with just two pairs of speakers, in the front and rear doors. One good quality 12" sub should suffice if you dont intend to go very loud.
Appreciate your advice. By geting the coxial in the boot area am looking for better sonic imaging. By adding sum vocals for the rear seating. Also am more inclined towards 2 10" subs in ported enclosure for beter low end soft punch. Correct me if am wrong all those gurus out there Thank you.
Old 9th April 2007, 20:09   #5
BHPian

Bassssss

What About 2* 12" Pio 307dvc in a ported box and also a GOOd amp.
Sub sells around 4k, a rock solid..
Old 9th April 2007, 22:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
What About 2* 12" Pio 307dvc in a ported box and also a GOOd amp.
Sub sells around 4k, a rock solid..
hey thx for your sugestion but to me pioneer sounds a lot muddy ..wat i am looking for is more smooth low acurate bass. Would like hear opinion and difference between Image dynamics, Focal, Morel. And wat amps can power them up --- " HEY MOJO can you tell me what setup do you hav and what make have you gone for.
Old 9th April 2007, 22:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Appreciate your advice. By geting the coxial in the boot area am looking for better sonic imaging. By adding sum vocals for the rear seating. Also am more inclined towards 2 10" subs in ported enclosure for beter low end soft punch. Correct me if am wrong all those gurus out there Thank you.
Hmmm first of all what is your budget....

there are other high end brands also in the market also...some of them are DLS, Morel, Illusion Audio....Right now I am using DLS Iriduim which is top of the line of DLS....But I love to go the Illusion way as they make some very nice speakers....like the carbon series...they are fast and tight.....

for the subs there carbon subs are one of the fastest sub in the market....they hit hard and can go quite low.....

For amplification some of the regular brands like pioneer and alpine...but some good brands are also avalaible...like DLS, mtx, RF, STEG......I would recommend the STEG as they are quite nice and clean and musical also.....and reasonable priced....

the HU alpine, pioneer all are good....choose which you like the best in sound and features....

Rest I would only say audition as many products as you can before finailizing the stuff you wanna install.....
Old 9th April 2007, 22:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Coaxials in the boot will hardly help the imaging, especially with respect to passengers in the front seating positions. From the front, the only thing you will perceive will be higher level of midbass.
Old 9th April 2007, 22:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey LBM thanks for that vital info ..am not to sure if DLS OR ILLUSIONS are available in bombay. Got the demo on FOCALs but wasnt in the car so not sure how they perform. So would like to hear from those using focals. Got no budget as such. --- B&T as i said the coxial will be meant only for rear seating. Would like set front n rear door sound in symetry to achieve the imaging for front seating and then set the coxial in the booot in symetrical to rear door to get complete sound stage in a way that the front sound stage is not spoiled.
Old 9th April 2007, 22:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

@Invinsible, I guess you have a really good budget and need really good equipment. You definitely have your work cut-out for you, auditioning quite a bit of brands. But I guess that journey is going to be quite a bit of fun.

I also feel a third row of speakers -- the coaxials -- are really not needed at all. The 2 sets of components will take care of the front and rear.

Other than the brands l_b_m suggested I think you should also have a look at Audison amps (Lrx and above) and Hertz Speakers (Hi-Energys or <gulp> Milles).

Image Dynamics subs (IDs and IDQs -- I haven't heard IDMaxes myself yet) are really good for tight, hard-hitting bass, and really good low frequency extension.

Mojo's setup would probably a nice place to start the search with

And this is probably going to be a real interesting thread
Old 9th April 2007, 23:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't he need a closed enclosure for tight bass ?
Old 10th April 2007, 00:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks hydrashok ..will deffinately look for those Hertz Components.. Been doing a lot search on google to find reviews on those brands. By the way came across with brand called CDTAUDIO ..looks like they have some technology on their top end series.. Realy impressive. I know adding those coxial is not required but may be can try it out to seee how it sounds like or may be put horn compression speakers out in the boot. ..lets see what fits the best.

Note from the Support Staff: Post Edted. Please make an effort to minimize use of SMS / slang, else post will not be approved in future. eg. Thx is NOT Thanks. sum is NOT some.
Old 10th April 2007, 02:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys Any users for JL AUDIO here. any review on their products.
Old 10th April 2007, 02:45   #14
BHPian

Few things I would like to to tell you for a good CRV install.

Use stock location of tweeters / mid basses as it sounds very good. Go for 6.5" components in the front with mid bass in doors and tweeters in stock location on the dash and 6.5" coaxials in the rear doors both using 0.75" MDF spacer rings.

There is absolutely no need for third pair of speakers in the boot as they are nothing more than unnecessary expense because they don't contribute in making the sound better and installing them will require cutting of expensive CRV (CBU) panels.

As far as amplifiers are concerned go for 4 channel (Front / rear speakers) and Mono (for Subwoofer/s) or single 6ch/5ch amplifier, which will take care of powering your 4 speakers and the subs.

Subs you can choose any size / numbers, ported / sealed all depending on your listening preference and your budget.

Now what remains is the HU. There are two options :

You can run the system using stock HU (Alpine Unit) by using the speaker outputs for signal to the amps. This can be done by using Line output converter (Converts speaker level to RCA level) or using the amplifiers with built in high level inputs. The unit has good SQ and convenience of steering wheel controls and 6 Disc CD Changer.

The other option is to scrap the factory HU and use dash kit (by Scosche etc) to install any single/double din HU.

Last edited by Autophile : 10th April 2007 at 02:47.
Old 10th April 2007, 10:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

Invisible,

Just a heads up.

Bass And Trouble represents Steg and Illusion (along with other brands), Autophile (and Gunbir) represent ID, Hertz and Audison (along with other brands) and Sam Kapasi (he'll be back from the Sepang F1 soon) represnets JBL, Infinity, and all Harman Intl. brands. Besides this we have a few other professionals like Blue Raven on this forum.

Now that we got that out of the way...

I tend to agree with Autophile with the speaker locations.

It makes good snese to consider a 5 ch. amp as it makes installs clean. Audison sells a nice one for about 25-30K. Yet few 5 ch. amps will have the grunt of a Mono so which amp you get also depends on the subwoofer you get and you listening preferences.

A sample 1L budget would be as follows:
HU: 18K
Amp9s): 28K (You can get a 4ch and mono for about hte same price as a 5ch. amp).
Speakers: 18K (2/3 on the front components, 1/3 on the rear coax).
Sub: 16K
Damping: 10K
Wires and Install: 10K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks