Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2020, 14:10   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Operation Jeep Compass : Foxfire Android Head-Unit with a 360-degree camera

I don't want to sound rude, but why should somebody mess-up with so many OEM fittings just to get a surround view or few more features? Most of my cars have this setup but for whatever reasons, I am more comfortable trusting my vision by directly looking, the rear camera does help though but beyond that I don't think I have ever used this.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 14:26   #17
BHPian

The side view camera installation is just completely messed up. Was there any calibration followed by putting checkerboard mats on the floor to train the camera to stitch the images correctly?

I would ask for a refund on the 360 camera if these were the final results. Sure, some stitching errors are going to happen in an aftermarket fitment, but the current results shown from the side cameras are atrocious.

I think the problem is that the side cameras are pointing inwards rather than outwards. With proper calibration you should be able to get much better results.

Last edited by d3mon : 12th December 2020 at 14:31.
d3mon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 17:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
View from the Right Hand Side Camera
In this image, I feel the side camera's image is rotated by 90 degrees while stitching the final image. For e.g. The white grill gate and the pavement appear misaligned by 90 degrees. Shouldnt they appear at the far right side, rather than at the top, in the final top view?
Old 12th December 2020, 18:03   #19
BHPian

Could you elaborate on all the wiring work that was done. I’m talking about the one before the 360 install.

What about he blue doors showing in the 360 feed. Was the calibration not done.
Old 12th December 2020, 19:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don't want to sound rude, but why should somebody mess-up with so many OEM fittings just to get a surround view or few more features?
Like I said earlier, I covered more on the 360° Camera here as I had already covered the features of the Foxfire Head Unit in terms of Audio, Voice Commands etc. in the other articles here on Team-BHP. So the upgrade was done for the overall experience of an Android HU with the 360° Cameras as bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I think the problem is that the side cameras are pointing inwards rather than outwards. With proper calibration you should be able to get much better results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
Shouldnt they appear at the far right side, rather than at the top, in the final top view?
Thanks for alerting on these issues folks - Spoke to my Uncle just now and he informed me that some more calibration was done on the 360° Camera just a day back - will check tomorrow on it and will share the updated views.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 20:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Spoke to my Uncle just now and he informed me that some more calibration was done on the 360° Camera just a day back - will check tomorrow on it and will share the updated views.
Since you are already checking your uncle's car tomorrow, may I request one more thing.

Could you take a video of the 360 degree camera while parking between 2 cars, that would be the real use case (unattended parking lots ) which will give many the clarity of this aftermarket fitment.
firstdrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 14:08   #22
BHPian

I also have a Compass with the smallest screen (Sport). Was thinking about this upgrade for getting android auto, but backed off as I do not want to fiddle with the factory wiring. I was also cautioned by FCA guys that this will affect the warranty on the car.

Do you know if the warranty will be valid with this ? I guess it will void the warrant at least for the electrical stuff and related, if not for the other parts. Even in the case of other non electrical parts, they can claim that the issue originated due to this modification. can you advise your thinking on this. I am not going to do it due to my very limited usage of the car, but just curious to know.
Catamaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 15:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Could you elaborate on all the wiring work that was done. I’m talking about the one before the 360 install.
All wiring work was plug and play and there were no wires that had to be cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
What about the blue doors showing in the 360 feed. Was the calibration not done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
Shouldnt they appear at the far right side, rather than at the top, in the final top view?
I have captured a newer video today with the recalibrated cameras - will be posting the video soon - I am in the process of uploading the video currently and I can tell you that the blue doors showing up has drastically reduced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post
I was also cautioned by FCA guys that this will affect the warranty on the car.
Any company personnel typically do not recommend aftermarket accessories and this is across all brands. Just as an example when I upsized the tires on my Honda City from 175/65R15 to 190/60R15 - they gave me lots of warnings at the time of purchase that manufacturer knows best etc. I ignored all warnings and drove from the showroom to a tire shop on the day of car delivery and upsized the tires on Day 1. But later no one has ever asked me anything about the upsized tires.

Post that I have changed Headlights to LED, swapped the Horn and added an Android Head Unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran View Post
Do you know if the warranty will be valid with this ? I guess it will void the warrant at least for the electrical stuff and related, if not for the other parts.
There is an amount risk with respect to warranty certainly but if any warranty gets challenged due to an unfortunate situation then it has to be only the electrical warranty. They cannot void the suspension/engine/gearbox warranty based on this.

Also, in this upgrade, the thought about warranty never came up as my Uncle already had upgraded the Headlights to Morimoto HIDs in 2018 itself - (Jeep Compass: Morimoto HID Headlights + FE Retrofit Projector Foglamps Upgrade). So this upgrade sits on top of that anyways and I guess the second time is more "Business As Usual"

You could possibly go for just the Head Unit and not the 360° Camera and the installation is far simpler and good installers would do it in under an hour.
The key to aftermarket fitments is doing background research and finding experienced and reliable installers to do the job

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th December 2020 at 15:19.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 16:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
Could you take a video of the 360 degree camera while parking between 2 cars, that would be the real use case (unattended parking lots ) which will give many the clarity of this aftermarket fitment.
This is a great idea - Thanks!
Here is the updated video from the recalibrated cameras which covers a Parallel Parking Scenario and one more parking scenario:

Updated Video with Re-Calibrated 360° Camera

I have also included additional footage of navigating in a congested road with lot of traffic as well. Hope this video clarifies on the 360° Camera Capability to everyone.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th December 2020 at 16:41.
vsrivatsa is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks