Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2007, 01:29   #1

Changing parts of system from indica to swift

Hi,
I currently own a indica diesel in which i have fitted a 500W sony 4 channel amp and a 1000W pioneer woofer with 460W pioneer rear speakers and 100W front ones.
The thing is i will be getting rid of this car shortly and want to fit a deck and speakers on my Swift. Moreover i would like to retain the amplifier-woofer because they are not too old. Although I wouldn’t mind getting rid of the speakers as the bass effect aint all that great and it begins to loose quality as I increase the volume.

So I’d like some advice on which would be a set of good rear+front speakers and also a deck to go with this amp/woofer combination. I need the deck to have an auxillary port which I’ve heard aint too expensive. Not being too extravagant I think I wouldn’t mind shelling out around 15-17g’s max for the above mentioned items totally.
The effect in my indica was not that bad, however im looking for something better.

Note from mod: DO NOT USE FONT/SIZE/COLOR tags in your posts

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th April 2007 at 14:54.
Old 12th April 2007, 13:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

15K for 4 speakers and a HU.

a) Have you checked out the sticky on this subject (Shameless self promotion).
b) How do intend to install the 12" woofer in the Swift?
Old 12th April 2007, 15:31   #3
BHPian

@carjinx :

I have recently put a Sony 460 HU in my car (mrp:9000rs, got 10% cheap discount - 8100rs with 2 yrs warranty) - 52*4 watts. Its a mp3 player with usb plugin and aux input. It has a separate mode to attach sub (dnt know if it is a feature with other hu but was new to me. You can turn on or off the sub while in operation..needless to say, its got a remote ) If you just require an aux input, that is for ipod n stuff, it may be worthwile to check model 260. I think its for 5.5k.

Got 2 JBL multielement speakers for 4100rs with 1 yr warranty. They've got inbuilt tweeters also, so no need of front speakers as per me. Then, you are done with 3k still at your disposal . JBL is great..was very impressed with the 12" bass tube when I heard it, but need 6.5k to get it, and thats a different story.

But as navin pointed, where do u plan to put 12" woofer? You may have to sacrifice boot space and install the tray.

Check out Sony India - like no other and Shop Online; Gift in India: Automobiles Buy mobile phones Gift Flowers Buy Indian Apparel Buy Books in India Buy Cameras

Happy listening
Old 12th April 2007, 20:41   #4

Well I had a word with a friend who does some work pertaining to fixing of music systems for cars. Now he told me to retain my 460W pioneer rear speakers too. So now i need a HU and speakers.
A 5.5k HU will do.. dont want bluetooth, dvd player, usb and stuff.
So that gives me a lot of cash to spend on the speakers.

Now about the 12" woofer, I had it in my indica boot mounted on a box ofcourse, so i was assuming the same will be put in the swift also. Please correct me if im wrong.
However, call me crazy but I was actually contemplating whether or not to put another woofer and front component speakers. That makes me have a total of 2 woofers, 2 amplifiers(A 4 channel one which i have and another 2 channel one), a set of front component speakers(mtx and dls were the brands he suggested, tell me your opinions) and the 460W rear speakers.
How does this unit sound to you guys and do you think the money could be put to better use?
Old 12th April 2007, 22:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

the DLS and the MTX makes some good speakers but listen to them before buying them........and try to listen some other brands also...like JBL, alpine,
Old 13th April 2007, 10:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

Your swift trunk is much smaller than the Indica. See if it fits. If it does not you might have to make a new box.

You wnat to use 5.5K for your HU and 9.5K (toall 15K) for your front speakers? For 9.5K you can get good components. Then again good components need a good amplifer. Think this through.

I'd recommend spening 8K on a HU and 6-7K on a pair of components for the front. The tweeters can do in the A pillar, door, or surface mounted on teh dash. See the Swift ICE thread for more info.
Old 13th April 2007, 13:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

you can flush mount the tweeter in this location it gives a very good responce and look quite nice also....

Old 13th April 2007, 21:54   #8

Thanks low bass makker, I will do that with the tweeters. Say i did not know that I have to put a seperate amplifier for the front components.

@ navin, Thanks for ur advice, appreciate it but how about the other idea i put forth in my previous post, having 2 amps, 2 woofers, front components and a normal HU. Stretching the budget a little, but do you think its worth it?
Old 13th April 2007, 22:58   #9
BHPian

Each of the speakers needs a channel so 2 in front and 2 in back makes 4 channels. Each sub needs either a channel if the amp is powerful enough to drive 1 sub per channel or, more typically, combined 2 channels from a 'normal' amp. So 6 channels from amps will typically run 4 speakers and 1 sub -- or atypically 4 speakers and 2 subs. Powerful amp means more money and in this case, lots. So though it can potentially sound very good, it's probably not going to work out financially.

When Navin said front comps will need a good amp, he didn't mean a separate amp specifically for them -- only that they won't run properly directly from the HU. So if you have channels to spare give them to the comps, otherwise get the 2-channel amp for the fronts.

From what I can tell, your final setup will look something like this:
4-channel amp powering 2 front comps + 1 sub
rear speakers running straight from HU

This makes sense especially if you're the driver because you will want the sound to come from front and to do that you need better quality sound from your fronts and a 'fill' from the rear which can be taken care of by the rears powered directly by the HU. So consider spending the money on the comps and get a decent HU.
Old 14th April 2007, 10:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjinx View Post
...However, call me crazy but I was actually contemplating whether or not to put another woofer and front component speakers. That makes me have a total of 2 woofers, 2 amplifiers(A 4 channel one which i have and another 2 channel one), a set of front component speakers(mtx and dls were the brands he suggested, tell me your opinions)
Go slow. First get another better (than Sony) 4 ch. amp and front components. This should cost you about 20K+ (6-7K for the components, 10K+ for the amp, and the rest on wires and install).

You got a Sony 4 ch. amp. I'd use that to power the rear and the sub.
Get another good amp (the sony is a bit grainy) and use that (bridged) to power the front components.

If you still feel you need more bass then get the second sub. Use the Sony amp to power both subs and the newer amp to power the front and rear speakers.

The reason I suggested getting a 4 ch. amp is that the price difference between similar 2ch and 4ch. amps are often such that the 4ch. amp is more VFM. For example the JBL 60.2 is 7K but the 60.4 is 10K. A 4ch. amp gives youthe option of a second sub (with a 2 ch. amp you would have to the HU's internal amp to drive the rear speakers when you added the second sub).

Last edited by navin : 14th April 2007 at 10:37.
Old 14th April 2007, 17:57   #11

Thanks a lot WoodenKnight and navin for your valuable advice, so i am gonna be spending mainly on a decent HU and a good set of front comps.

@ navin, which brands other than jbl do you recommend for the amplifier, hows pioneer.. heard its cheaper than jbl and pretty decent also. coz if i am buying another woofer too, the deal does seem to be a little pricey.

Now frankly speaking do you think buying the second sub makes sense, i mean how much do i have to spend totally on damping then and moreover i used to hear music loud in the indica(where the sub produced excellent effects), but according to the guy who's fixing it for me-the swift acoustics arent as good as the indica so the thump i get will be lesser plus front comps will be much more pronounced than the front-speakers i had in d indica, thereby making the single sub sound even lesser.

All this makes me wanna put 2 subs(immediately or after few days-no issue), but the rattling issues with the swift has got me worried. I dont wanna have a new diesel car that seems broken from all places. Hope you getting the flow.
Old 16th April 2007, 10:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjinx View Post
@ navin, which brands other than jbl do you recommend for the amplifier, hows pioneer.. ...but according to the guy who's fixing it for me-the swift acoustics arent as good as the indica...All this makes me wanna put 2 subs(immediately or after few days-no issue), but the rattling issues with the swift has got me worried. ...
a) I do not recommend brands. That I leave for your ears to decide. The JBL I mentioned was just an EXAMPLE. Pio also makes good VFM 4 ch. amp.

b) Damping a swift is actually easier than an Indica.

c) Get your front sound sorted (incl. damping etc..) out first. Then you can always add more bass if you feel you need it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks