Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2021, 23:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Sony vs Pioneer Head-Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkashwin View Post
Hi Folks,
- Is the Capacitive touchscreen really important in a Car HU or is a Resistive TS good enough?
I bought the XAV precisely for the capacitive screen.

And when you are driving you cannot afford to have a resistive screen. I tried a resitive one on a Creta recently and boy am I happy I went with the capacitive XAV.

I have had it for 3 years now and have had no troubles at all.
sagaranjos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 22:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
Hey, I believe I can give you some honest feedback on this.

2. Sony XAV - AX 5500 on my Punto
Attachment 2107780

You can install only a Headunit with a single din chassis in Punto. Hence I chose Sony XAV - AX 5500 which has a single din chassis.

Good bits
1. It is very bright and has a crystal clear display
2. Boots faster than 5190 BT
3. Touch screen is very responsive.

Bad bits
1. The sound tuning capability is poor compared to Pioneer.
2. You need dedicated sound amplification in addition to the HU. (This should not be a concern since you already have the Rockford Fosgate Amp)
Hey @NTO, I am planning to upgrade my Abarth Punto's Head Unit to Sony XAV - AX 5500. Just need guidance on few points-

1. From where can I source the Stereo fascia (same fascia as in your Punto)?

2. In my car the upper fascia strip containing hazard light, boot release buttons etc is integrated in the old stereo and thus need it separately for the new HU. Can it be sourced from somewhere?

3. Which steering control interface are you using and from where can I source it?

4. Was any modification needed in the fascia to accommodate the HU?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Eddy : 20th June 2021 at 22:20. Reason: Fixed quotes
rahulkr14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 22:54   #48
BHPian

I am curious to know too. My Abarth completed 2 years ( about half of that was spent sitting in the garage due to lockdowns). I am looking to upgrade the stereo also. Don't want to install an amp yet. Will start with head unit and speakers etc
Old 21st June 2021, 17:11   #49
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulkr14 View Post
Hey @NTO, I am planning to upgrade my Abarth Punto's Head Unit to Sony XAV - AX 5500. Just need guidance on few points-

1. From where can I source the Stereo fascia (same fascia as in your Punto)?

2. In my car the upper fascia strip containing hazard light, boot release buttons etc is integrated in the old stereo and thus need it separately for the new HU. Can it be sourced from somewhere?

3. Which steering control interface are you using and from where can I source it?

4. Was any modification needed in the fascia to accommodate the HU?

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I am curious to know too. My Abarth completed 2 years ( about half of that was spent sitting in the garage due to lockdowns). I am looking to upgrade the stereo also. Don't want to install an amp yet. Will start with head unit and speakers etc

Sony AX 5500 is a fantastic system and has been working lag free for over an year now. Congratulations on picking it up as your option.

To answer your questions.
1. There is no fascia there, I just removed the stock HU and replaced it with the AX 5500. It slightly sticks out like this but, there are many custom fabricators who can make it sit well integrated into the dash. Punto is predominantly my brother's car and he has not been around for the past year. Hence it is yet to be done. But, I can update once I get hold of something.
Sony vs Pioneer Head-Units-photo20201004210145.jpg

2. The upper fascia is independent of the stereo. It will remain while you install the new stereo.

3. There is a specific sony to fiat connector. It costs around Rs. 5000.

4. Currently no modification was done. But one needs to be done shortly. However, you can mount the HU and use it. Just an irritating factor for OCD other than that you will enjoy the overall experience.

Other than this, I got these installed at Radio warehourse chennai and purchased them from the shop itself. But, I see that these are available on Amazon at the prices I bought them.
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 05:12   #50
BHPian

Quote:
2. Sony XAV - AX 5500 on my Punto
Attachment 2107780

You can install only a Headunit with a single din chassis in Punto. Hence I chose Sony XAV - AX 5500 which has a single din chassis.

Good bits
1. It is very bright and has a crystal clear display
2. Boots faster than 5190 BT
3. Touch screen is very responsive.

Bad bits
1. The sound tuning capability is poor compared to Pioneer.
2. You need dedicated sound amplification in addition to the HU. (This should not be a concern since you already have the Rockford Fosgate Amp)
What would you recommend for a Fiat Linea? I got the 2017 Linea, the current set up is stock. I am totally dissatisfied with the output. I'm on a shoe string budget. Nothing fancy, but looking for good sound at the rear (i prefer the sound coming from the rear) i mostly drive alone. Also looking for apple car play.

Something without affecting the fit and finish of the dash.

Thanks.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd June 2021 at 08:34. Reason: Added quote tags.
Old 25th July 2021, 20:12   #51

Quote:
Sony AX 5500 is a fantastic system and has been working lag free for over an year now. Congratulations on picking it up as your option.

To answer your questions.

Thanks @NTO for your suggestions, your post was very helpful. I went ahead and installed the AX5500 system and its fantastic. Though it took some time as I had to source the upper fascia. Unlike your car, the upper fascia was a part of the old stereo in my car and was not independent. Yes the new system does stick out a little but I can live with it. The sound quality, clean UI and Android Auto make up for it. Will post some pictures soon. Currently in the process of getting steering controls sorted.
rahulkr14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 17:54   #52

Quote:
3. There is a specific sony to fiat connector. It costs around Rs. 5000.
Hey @NTO, I think I need one more help. Can you tell me which Sony to Fiat interface for steering controls you used? I am unable to find one.
Thanks.
Old 10th September 2021, 12:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if the mic that comes along with the pioneers can be used for auto eq and time alignment setup?
Old 11th September 2021, 15:28   #54
BHPian

Hi All,

I plan to replace the aging Caska unit in a 2013 Honda City with a decent touchscreen system.

Called up one of the accessories shop in BLR and he asked me to wait for at least 15 days for the Sony XAV-5500 that I had initially planned to get (apparently lockdown in Vietnam is affecting supply here).

Since I now have some time to decide just wanted some advice on any other alternatives that I could consider. I don't really need a good sound system in the car since I eventually plan to give it to my dad for his use in KL. I actually just need a reliable head unit with Android Auto and a reverse camera. Not looking at the Chinese Android ones since to my surprise most of them cost near to 20k.

These are the prices I got from the shop owner of Glamour Accessories, Koramangala:
  1. Sony XAV-AX5500 Rs. 23,000
  2. Pioneer DMH-5290BT Rs. 22,500
  3. JVC KW-V940BWM Rs. 24,500
  4. Alpine 650 Rs. 26,500 (I guess this is the full model number Alpine iLX-W650 7")
  5. Blaunkpunt reverse camera Rs. 1,850

Are these prices reasonable? I am not sure of going to the high end installers mentioned in the Team-BHP directory since I am not looking to get a full setup done. Just the head unit and rear view camera for me. I am not sure how interested these guys would be for a simple install.

Any recommendations on decent places in BLR where they would do a proper install without resorting to cutting/splicing wires just because they find out that they don't have the connector on-hand, it's too late in the day or some other excuse.

Edit: Forgot to mention that my budget for this was 20k max. That plan is shot to pieces now so I guess I can push to 25k. I can understand spending 25k+ on tyres didn't think Headunits cost so much.

Last edited by JithinR : 11th September 2021 at 15:34. Reason: Adding budget
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 20:34   #55
BHPian

Upgrading the stock HU in my Honda City 2012 version. Visited Speedfreaks and got a recommendation to go for Pioneer DMH X5290BT. Price quoted was 26K for the HU and ~10-12K for wiring, harnesses etc.,

Their reputation is solely on the car audio installation, so no doubts on their caliber. But is the price quoted reasonable? Kindly share your thoughts.
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 13:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Upgrading the stock HU in my Honda City 2012 version. Visited Speedfreaks and got a recommendation to go for Pioneer DMH X5290BT. Price quoted was 26K for the HU and ~10-12K for wiring, harnesses etc.,

Their reputation is solely on the car audio installation, so no doubts on their caliber. But is the price quoted reasonable? Kindly share your thoughts.
Latest mrp of the hu is 25,850 so how are they quoting more?

Last edited by straight6 : 12th September 2021 at 13:37.
Old 12th September 2021, 14:31   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Latest mrp of the hu is 25,850 so how are they quoting more?
Quoted prices is as per MRP, I just rounded it off for my query.
Old 16th September 2021, 16:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Final breakup,
HU 25850
FRAME 3400
HARNESS 900
ANTENNA PIN 800 &
INSTALLATION 4800
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 06:59   #59
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Final breakup,
HU 25850
FRAME 3400
HARNESS 900
ANTENNA PIN 800 &
INSTALLATION 4800
I have done audio installs at speedfreaks and I have done audio installs at other places as well. Speed freaks is phenomenal. Their workmanship, the quality of wires used etc. everything will be top notch for the price you pay. Also, see if you could get the setup tuned by Karthik, the proprietor of Speedfreaks.
NTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 10:45   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I was thinking about going for DMH-6350bt, but as you say if UI is so sluggish despite being capacitive touch, then DMH-Z5290BT makes sense.
Pioneer has launched DMH-A345BT, as part of their India specific 2021 lineup, which has a capacitive touch screen and it is currently priced at 19.9k. But it misses out on Apple Car Play & Android Auto. However, Pioneer as well as many car accessories guys (whom I spoke to in Bangalore) are claiming that Weblink makes up for this.

Does anyone have first hand experience of this new unit?

Most Viewed