Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2022, 22:42   #91

Re: Sony vs Pioneer Head-Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Were you able to get the call buttons on the steering to work with the new hu?
yes, call connect, disconnect and voice commands working perfectly.
Old 18th November 2022, 12:44   #92

OK, so i have a Baleno 2021 zeta model, the OEM touchscreen is good in terms of size, display, smoothness, connectivity; but the sound setting options are very limited, plus there is no Pre-out at all.

I went ahead and installed 2 pairs of Polk DB6501 (one set on each door) and a Polk 12" DVC in a sealed box in the boot. Infinity Kappa 4 running the Polk Comps and Blaupunkt 2 Ch running the Polk DVC; used a JBL LOC (JBL doesn't make any LOC, some random guy is making and printing JBL name on it and selling it in JBL packaging).

Somehow i was able to set the sound good enough BUT the there was silence and humming when no audio was playing; plus some channels were playing louder than the other (very marginal, not really noticeable lest someone heard with a keen ear) but i made my peace with it and lived with it for about 9 months! (full term pregnancy ).

3 days ago (15th Nov 2022) i finally went ahead and got my HU upgraded to Pioneer 4450BT. It was launched earlier this year, comes with 3 Pre-outs (2V each); has resolved the humming sound and volume imbalance that i was facing previously BUT i'm kinda disappointed by the sound settings on offer.

If i enable the loudness even at low level, the speakers throw a better sound at decent volume levels, but the SUB isn't that punchy at those volume levels. To make the sub more punchy when volume is raised, the sound from speakers reaches a point where it can start to crackle at any point of time.

The 13 band EQ has only 4 presets which are horrible IMO, and its actually a pain for me to set the equalizers. Also, im unable to move the map around when using Apple CarPlay, was able to do so in the OEM HU, and i find the touch response also poor, along with the scrolling about in the HU settings/different options of sources. infact im flabbergasted by the fact that an OEM like MarutiSuzuki can give such a smooth interface/touch HU in a car costing less than 10L OTR and Pioneer isnt doing so for a HU which is running an MRP of 25k!

Long story short, in a very basic EQ setting, no loudness enabled, no HPF or LPF set, amp gains set to MAX, im getting good enough sound BUT spending on the HU still hasnt killed that itch of mine.

I have been scouring the net and YouTube and have reached a conclusion that Sony XAV-AX5500 will be better for me, primarily coz it has more EQ presets, higher voltage in Pre-outs, plus the UI of Sony is way good looking and prettier than Pioneer 4540BT

So my fellow BHPians, pour in your personal experience, your technical experience, your reviews, your feedback, your suggestions as to what i can do to improve what i have or maybe resolve the ITCH that i have.

Last edited by singh.b86 : 18th November 2022 at 13:11. Reason: Updating some information.
Old 18th November 2022, 21:16   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.b86 View Post

So my fellow BHPians, pour in your personal experience, your technical experience, your reviews, your feedback, your suggestions as to what i can do to improve what i have or maybe resolve the ITCH that i have.
What all settings do you have configured below?

1. Subwoofer - enabled?
2. Front HPF, Rear HPF, Subwoofer HPF
3. EQ - custom - with the lows ans highs boosted?
4. Loudness
5. Bass boost?
lxskllr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 14:59   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
What all settings do you have configured below?

1. Subwoofer - enabled?
2. Front HPF, Rear HPF, Subwoofer HPF
3. EQ - custom - with the lows ans highs boosted?
4. Loudness
5. Bass boost?
1. Subwoofer - enabled? YES
2. Front HPF(OFF); Rear HPF(OFF); Subwoofer LPF (OFF)
3. Tried Custom EQ like you mentioned and even the powerful preset and the so called Famous TODOROKI EQ which pioneer advertises on its packaging and websites. But to no avail.
4. Loudness. Tried on different settings but its as if that its wanting to tear my speakers apart!!
5. Bass boost? Bass wasn't really the issue.

Now i have finally taken the plunge and switched to Sony XAV-AX5500 (purely on the basis of the product specs, my internet research and gut feeling) and i must say that i'm surprised how far and better Sony is in terms of SQ as compared to a similar priced Pioneer HU.

I always was under the impression that in aftermarket HU Pioneer is the undisputed king (purely on the basis of my experience with 6050 single din, 6050 double din, market feedback and the popularity of the brand in the Indian market.

I had been using a Carputer previously for 10+ years and had it setup in 5.1 but running 3 pair of speakers along with 1 center channel and 1 subwoofer. It was literally a home theatre, a concert, a night club on wheels. I was even tempted to bring in the Carputer from my old car to my new car but i didn't only coz i wanted apple carplay and i haven't been able to find a way to make it run on a Windows PC environment. Why windows? coz my centrafuse runs on Windows.

I still have all the components of my carputer and they all run fine, just hoping to find a way to make apple carplay run on windows and il install it in my accord!

Coming back to the main topic, I'm happy with Sony, and the features and functionality serve me spot on!

Now i have a packed Pioneer 4450BT headunit with all accessories that come with it and with a MarutiSuzuki connector, costed me 19500, warranty card not yet filled. If someone wants to buy it from me in Delhi/NCR then PM me. Warranty card will be filled on the date you purchase it from me and warranty will get activated from that date.
Old 21st November 2022, 13:34   #95
BHPian

Interested to get the Sony XAV-AX5500 for my 2016 Scorpio S10, mostly for the nice UI, big screen and Apple CarPlay.

A few questions:

1) Does the Sony integrate with Canbus? I am particularly interested in the stock TPMS system that is fully integrated with the car, i.e. it displays info on the dash as well as the head unit. Also whenever the tyres are rotated there is a sequence involved to reset each sensor for each wheel. Any info on whether this is possible?

2) Has anyone tried a wireless CarPlay/AA adapter to make the wired connection wireless?

3) Will it be plug and play with the factory harness? As really do not want to splice any wires.

4) Any leads in Pune to get the install done or if it is plug and play I am very happy to do it DIY if someone can help me source a frame as assume would need that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 21st November 2022, 18:20   #96

From all the information that i have gobbled up in the last 2 years w.r.t after market HU's; on the basis of that, ONLY and ONLY android based HUs can have can bus integrated into them.

So my suggestion would be to source a last gen S11 HU (assuming it would have better performance and Apple CarPlay/AA). But even if the previous gen S11's HU didn't have that then the new Scorpio Classic surely has that, with an even better looking HU (IMO).

So invest there, source a M&M original Scorpio Classic HU, that would fit coupler to coupler straight and all your functionality (Can bus dependent) will work along with a faster, better looking UI along with CarPlay and AA
singh.b86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:59   #97
BHPian

Hi,

I'm also considering ICE upgrade for my Fiat.
So, what set-up did you finally choose for your car? Just curious.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by acestormtrooper View Post
What would you recommend for a Fiat Linea? I got the 2017 Linea, the current set up is stock. I am totally dissatisfied with the output. I'm on a shoe string budget. Nothing fancy, but looking for good sound
Old 22nd November 2022, 18:28   #98
BHPian

Quote:
From all the information that i have gobbled up in the last 2 years w.r.t after market HU's; on the basis of that, ONLY and ONLY android based HUs can have can bus integrated into them.

So my suggestion would be to source a last gen S11 HU (assuming it would have better performance and Apple CarPlay/AA). But even if the previous gen S11's HU didn't have that then the new Scorpio Classic surely has that, with an even better looking HU (IMO).

So invest there, source a M&M original Scorpio Classic HU, that would fit coupler to coupler straight and all your functionality (Can bus dependent) will work along with a faster, better looking UI along with CarPlay and AA
Thanks this was my thinking too. I am ready to do this, only downer is that the price of a S11 Head Unit with Carplay and AA is around 85k! Now this is a price I am not willing to pay obviously. I have tried with Mahindra customer care and various dealerships but no-one really has any clue and are not willing to order the part to give it a try.

If anyone has any leads on where I can get a 2nd hand one, or possibly from a scrap car, then that would be much appreciated.
Old 5th December 2022, 02:16   #99
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I was looking to replace the OEM head unit on my 2018 Ignis Zeta petrol manual probably some time around June once the car turns 5 and came across this thread. I had contacted the Nexa workshop where I always service the car and the accessories guy gave below options.

1. Sony XAV AX-5500 (cost 25k + fitting charges extra)
2. Pioneer MVH219T (cost 13k + fitting charges extra)

However, when I checked the Maruti Genuine Accessories website, I found the below options:

1. Pioneer STE MM 15.7 CM DMH-A245BT (cost 18k + fitting charges extra)
2. Pioneer STE MM 17.3 CM DMH-A345BT (cost 21k + fitting charges extra)
3. Kenwood Multimedia Stereo - CD/USB 15.74 Cm (6.2) With Camera (cost 21.2k + fitting charges extra)
4. Sony XAV AX3200 (cost 25k + fitting charges extra)
5. Pioneer DMH-Z5290BT (cost 27k + fitting charges extra)

It seems the accessories guy has got confused between the models as AX 5500 isn't listed on Maruti's website and the AX 3200 costs 25k. However, he did mention about a Sony system costing 29k which I'm guessing would be the AX 5500 as even the Sony website has the exact same model listed at 28,990.

Going by the inputs in this thread, Sony AX 5500 series seems to be a better option but would still love to hear your thoughts. I won't be using the touch screen too frequently but majorly to operate Google maps via Android auto when I'm road tripping. For music, I have my favourite playlist saved on a pendrive which I would continue using. As for the speakers, I'm satisfied with the current speaker + tweeter setup (OEM) and don't have any immediate plans to upgrade.

Last edited by yatesh.92 : 5th December 2022 at 02:21.
Old 7th December 2022, 14:13   #100

Hi,

The sound signature for both the brands is different, i have auditioned both brands (Pio 4450BT vs Sony AVX 5500), i personally loved the Sony's sound signature, though Sony gives 10band EQ vs 13 in Pioneer.

So as of today i have 3 HU's with me
1. Baleno 2021 OEM Touchscreen;
2. Pio 4450BT (used for less than 24 hours, packed in original packing, warranty card yet to be stamped for whenever someone buys from me)
3. Sony AVX 5500 (installed in my baleno)

So in-case you want to consider any of the 2 HU's that i have, then drop me a PM or reply on here or go on to the classified section.

No, this is not a post to advertise or sell my unit; but you need to audition the unit for the sound signature before you settle down for either of them.

Mods, should the post need editing, then request you to let me know; il do the needful right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesh.92 View Post
Hi Folks,

I was looking to replace the OEM head unit on my 2018 Ignis Zeta petrol manual...
Old 7th December 2022, 19:38   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
So as of today i have 3 HU's with me
1. Baleno 2021 OEM Touchscreen;
Hello. Please let me know your email ID, so i can get in touch with you. Cannot PM, since you are new and couldn't find anything in the classifieds section
lxskllr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 19:50   #102

My email ID is singh.b86@gmail.com

That's odd, my listing is active on the classified (https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...-A4450BT.html/)

Quote:
Hello. Please let me know your email ID, so i can get in touch with you. Cannot PM, since you are new and couldn't find anything in the classifieds section
singh.b86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 00:51   #103
BHPian

Quote:
What's the difference between A and Z series. Specifically DMH-A4450bt AND DMH-Z5950bt.

I am looking to replace my stereo unit with one of the above 2 and was wondering if its a simple plug and play and can be done myself or do I need some wire harness etc. which requires me to go to shop anyway.

Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 13:16   #104

I believe you meant to type Z5920BT instead of Z5950BT.

So for starters, Z5920BT has higher pre-out voltage, has a couple of more sound settings; also it is now very close to being EoL (Mid 2019 release) and is in relatively very limited supply quantity hence discounts being lesser and lesser.

Whereas on the other hand A4450BT was launched in Aug this year.

MRP wise, A4450BT is 2K cheaper than Z5920BT.

4450BT: https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/dmh-a4450bt/

5290BT: https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/dmh-z5290bt/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
What's the difference between A and Z series. Specifically DMH-A4450bt AND DMH-Z5950bt.
Old 13th January 2023, 12:01   #105

Quote:
I believe you meant to type Z5920BT instead of Z5950BT.

So for starters, Z5920BT has higher pre-out voltage, has a couple of more sound settings; also it is now very close to being EoL (Mid 2019 release) and is in relatively very limited supply quantity hence discounts being lesser and lesser.

Whereas on the other hand A4450BT was launched in Aug this year.

MRP wise, A4450BT is 2K cheaper than Z5920BT.

4450BT: https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/dmh-a4450bt/

5290BT: https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/dmh-z5290bt/

Hey there,

I have been following this thread for a long time. Finally made up my mind to get the Z5290BT. Is it a wise choice? Since it is nearing its EOL.

I couldn't find any other models that can be compared to the spec of this mode. In this price range that is.

Most Viewed