Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 15:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer's modular NEX - Separate touchscreen & headunit

Pioneer has unveiled the NEX series of car infotainment systems at the 2021 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The first model to debut will be the DMH-WC5700NEX - a 6.8-inch LCD capacitive touchscreen unit. The system consists of a separate touchscreen and head-unit module for better space management.

Pioneer's modular NEX - Separate touchscreen & headunit-screenshot104.png

The main highlight of the new system is the requirement of very less space in the dashboard for installation. Only the display unit needs to be mounted on the dashboard while the head-unit can be installed somewhere else. This will also eliminate the need for standard 1 and 2 DIN slots kept in the dashboards of some cars. Older cars will also benefit as in certain cases, there might not be enough space to install a conventional system.

Pioneer's modular NEX - Separate touchscreen & headunit-suxxp9olcv7v8gkhfkc8.png

The DMH-WC5700NEX features high-fidelity audio playback, wired and wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity, Amazon Alexa, HD radio tuning and a flexible, customizable interface. Owners can also upgrade it with an add-on SirusXM satellite radio tuner and/or rear camera system.

Pioneer has not yet announced the pricing and availability of the NEX series.

Pioneer's modular NEX - Separate touchscreen & headunit-3863471280.jpg

Pioneer's modular NEX - Separate touchscreen & headunit-2c3727e1ce7d139ef8b7b756f69e0102.jpg

Source: CNET

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 21st January 2021 at 15:29.
blackwasp is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 23:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pioneer's modular NEX - Separate touchscreen & headunit

I understood the advantage of the (detachable) screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The main highlight of the new system is the requirement of very less space in the dashboard for installation. Only the display unit needs to be mounted on the dashboard while the head-unit can be installed somewhere else. This will also eliminate the need for standard 1 and 2 DIN slots kept in the dashboards of some cars. Older cars will also benefit as in certain cases, there might not be enough space to install a conventional system.
How does one install an audio system if there is no standard wiring in the 1 or 2 DIN slot? Are there any cars without a slot? IIRC - even a '98 Maruti 800 had a slot for 1IN media players.
Old 22nd January 2021, 00:05   #3
BHPian

Quality aftermarket stereo with modern connectivity is a boon. However, it is hard to understand, in 2021 a flagship model has a screen that is not even a full HD.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:43   #4
BHPian

A good option for Safari Storme users, It has only a single din unit
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I understood the advantage of the (detachable) screen.

How does one install an audio system if there is no standard wiring in the 1 or 2 DIN slot? Are there any cars without a slot? IIRC - even a '98 Maruti 800 had a slot for 1IN media players.
Consider cars like my Abarth, or oldies, or classic cars that you want to add a touch of modern tech. The display can be mounted on the dash while the headunit can be stuck under the dash or mounted vertically on the foot well etc.

In fact, why should we have to install it only for the benefit of the driver? It can be installed facing the front passenger (who might handle navigation on road trips), or the Rear seat to keep you kids or fellow passengers occupied.

Personally if you ask me, I would like a set up similar to the pic below. Pardon the poor photoshop skills, but you get the idea. The only time I would use it would be for navigation, and rest of the times, the screen would be off.

Pioneer's modular NEX - Separate touchscreen & headunit-abarthpunto01-copy.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 27th January 2021 at 12:58. Reason: Typo.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Consider cars like my...or oldies, or classic cars that you want to add a touch of modern tech.
I understand the use case for Ambassardors or Premier Padminis where wiring was inexistent and it'd make sense to lay the wiring for speakers and tuck this unit underneath somewhere and fix the display on a dash. The same could work well for cars with a single din system too.

But however-

Quote:
Personally if you ask me, I would like a set up similar to the pic below. Pardon the poor photoshop skills, but you get the idea. The only time I would use it would be for navigation, and rest of the times, the screen would be off.
If your case, wouldn't it be easier to replace the existing unit rather than draw parallel wiring for an additional AVN system?
OR
If you wanted a secondary control - wouldn't it be easier and more elegant to get a cheap android tablet or old iPad and connect it to your existing HU via bluetooth? A simple tablet holder will solve your problem rather than taking all the complications for the installing extra wiring.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd January 2021 at 10:20.
Old 27th January 2021, 11:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The system consists of a separate touchscreen and head-unit module for better space management.

Only the display unit needs to be mounted on the dashboard while the head-unit can be installed somewhere else.
This might be a solution looking for a problem. Most cars (except some vintage models) have all the wiring behind the dash so the head unit would have to installed behind the dash. Modern cars with infotainment systems are already wired up so one would not want to tamper with existing wiring since these infotainment systems are very complex.

I can understand the use, if they used the removable screen so that it communicates with the head unit which is still in its 1 DIN space and a passenger can use it to assist in navigation, play games, watch a movie, etc.
Old 27th January 2021, 12:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how this works for new vehicles. If you want a parallel setup, it makes sense. They could as well give a app without the touch screen to control it wirelessly.

Modern touch screens have more than just the music audio function for which you still need them connected to speakers.

Independent HU makers are becoming irrelevant unless they work as OEM with car makers.
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Independent HU makers are becoming irrelevant unless they work as OEM with car makers.
Hoooooooold up

There are companies dedicated to making integration kits, smart harnesses, feature retention kits etc. that help remove the oem head unit with all the connected car features, AC controls and what not , and bring them into the aftermarket head units!! It's truly amazing.

And for popular car models, there are tailor made head units that blend in with the car interior . And BOY DO they do a good job!!
Old 5th February 2021, 09:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Consider cars like my Abarth, or oldies, or classic cars that you want to add a touch of modern tech.......
The abarth is fairly modern, idk why they didn't bother adding CarPlay and Android Auto.
Quote:
In fact, why should we have to install it only for the benefit of the driver? It can be installed facing the front passenger (who might handle navigation on road trips),
I've seen setups like these in touring cars where the passenger acts as the navigator and it's an awesome setup, except that cars like there are more function over form and can look ugly with the mounting of the hardware and wiring.

Quote:
or the Rear seat to keep you kids or fellow passengers occupied.
Entertainment units typically don't need a brain unit, actually even the navigation units don't. The on board amplifier is what takes the space in a head unit. Because rear seat entertainment screens mounted to the headrests are just tablets, and we all know how slim our iPads have gotten. Amazing stuff

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks