Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 15:05   #1
BHPian

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit

Honda City ICE upgrade and Dashcam Setup

Little prelude -

Honda city was always my dream car since I was a teen. So when it came to buying my first car, without a second thought Honda City it was. So in Winter of 2016, on my wife’s birthday, White Lilly came home and became a part of family.

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-sign-off-1.jpg

Over a course of 4 years, she lived up to her repute and brought a smile on face every single time we went for a drive. With the advent of technology, each new car coming up with better and better ICE systems, felt the need to upgrade the OEM ICE and spice up things a little.

Here is a quick update on replacing the OEM ICE system by Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 - 10.1".

Some info on the car below -
  • Car: Honda City iVtec V MT
  • Bought in January 2016, Oct 2015 Make
  • Current Odo: ~45k KMs
  • OEM ICE was feeling outdated in the world of big screens and Internet cars

Work begins -

Did some research on YouTube / Online forums / Local car accessory shops and discovered that there are lot of Android players available in market for each car brand / model (along with Android Auto and Apple Car Play solutions). Many of the android player brands are unknown but provides host of features and costs around 10k to 14k (including labor + frame charges). While you buy an android player online / from car accessory shops, you also need a frame which fits perfectly to your car's dashboard and houses the player equipment like a standard fitment.

Somehow I wasn't comfortable with these local brands and their China made equipments (even iPhone is made in China but we trust Apple). Came across a German brand called Blaupunkt and found reviews encouraging for host of its products and decided to go with it.

Couple of my key requirements met with the product I chose (Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 - 10.1") -
  • Steering controls functioning
  • OEM Car antenna functioning with new ICE unit
  • Rear view camera functioning
  • Capacitive touch for screen UI (for better performance)
  • Adequate Storage for Apps / Media and sufficient RAM for player to function smoothly

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_5902.jpg

Of course, all modern ICE units come up with all the mainstream features one can expect like a Bluetooth, Radio, USB, Navigation etc. Best part of Android player is that you can install any app (Like YouTube, Spotify..) and use it on the go (with either inbuilt SIM or mobile tethering for internet connectivity). The reason why you should choose a player with enough RAM and Storage is to NOT compromise on the performance.

Blaupunkt Key Largo also comes up with its own branded rearview camera which I found to be much better than OEM camera on the car. I got it installed and it's quality is amazingly good (compared to OEM camera).

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_5903.jpg

Here is some key information of Blaupunkt Key Largo 970 - 10.1" -

Android Player -
  • Blaupunkt is a German brand established in year 1924
  • 2 Years product warranty from manufacturer (you need to register the product after buying on their website)
  • 10.1" screen with 1024*600 pixels (looks massive on the dashboard), Initially I wasn’t so keen on such a big screen but it grows on you with time
  • Operating System: Android 9.0
  • RAM: 2GB DDR3
  • Storage: 16 GB
  • Phone mirroring: Supported (with cable)

Rear view Camera -

Model: DH02
Water resistant
170 degree wide angle
1080*720 pixels

Dashcam -

I had a Dashcam that my friend had sent me from UK. Took this opportunity to get it installed as well on the front windshield. More details below.
  • Brand: Peztio which specializes in dashcam products
  • Full HD 1080P wide angle
  • Wi-Fi enabled
  • Mobile app which connects to dashcam over Wi-Fi
  • Comes with 30 GB of Micro SD storage
  • SOS button to lock current video (to avoid deletion over loop recording)
  • Supports parking mode, comes with Shock sensor to freeze recording
  • 1 year warranty

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6322.jpg

Buying and Installation -

During my initial research, I had figured out a shop (Sony Car Decor) at Nashik Phata in PCMC, Pune. Talked to owner and asked him to procure the product as it was not available in almost all the shops nearby. The comment I heard that most people go with local brands and hence shops order branded products only if there is a demand.

Received a call from the Shop owner next day and I went ahead and got it installed the very same day. Took about 45 minutes to an hour to complete the work.

Total Cost - Total cost of equipment (excluding dashcam of course) and installation was 22.5k . As mentioned earlier, there are options available in the range of 10k to 14k (local brands) and goes as high as tens of thousands depending on the brand.

Fit and Finish post installation -

Once you choose the right frame for your car brand and model, it is as good as a standard fitment. Below pictures shows the finish post installation (Hazard light switch is tuned 90 degrees to accommodate 10 inch screen).

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6309.jpg

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6339.jpg

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6340.jpg

Dashcam installed on front windscreen.

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6317.jpg

Rear view camera installed on back bumper. The OEM camera remains there (above number plate) but now defunct with connection established to new camera on the bumper.

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6319.jpg

Overall experience -

Having a 10 inch screen on the dash of a car with all sorts of entertainment options like YouTube can be a big distraction to a driver. So always focus on the key aspect of being on a front right seat of a car - to drive and leave everything else to a co-passenger while driving. Obviously you will look at the screen for navigation but advised not to play with touch screen while driving (as against physical buttons and dials that we are so used to).

Some other observations

1. Cabin feels lot richer now with new ICE

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6329.jpg

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6330.jpg

2. Navigation is breeze (as against sticking phones on the dash / windshield), you can set Google maps as default navigation option

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6332.jpg

3. Sound quality improved over OEM setup (though speakers are still OEM)

4. Rear view camera is a step ahead from OEM setup

Day vision

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6331.jpg

Night vision

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6321.jpg

5. Flexibility to install / remove any app you need from Play Store

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6336.jpg

6. Flexible steering control options (you can program the buttons on steering wheel for various functions)

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6337.jpg

7. Excellent telephony interface (phone connected over Bluetooth)

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6333.jpg

8. Radio / FM interface

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_6338.jpg

Not so good things
  • Takes almost half a minute to boot up
  • Slow internet connection can dampen the performance badly
  • Felt the tap response tad slow at times but otherwise okay

Finally signing off, here is one of my favorite pictures of White Lilly.

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_9596.jpg
yogesh.8984 is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 15:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit

Wow, that's a great finish. I think the screen looks factory fitted to your car. Congrats. I somehow feel the hazard light is off it's place. I know it's a compromise that you had to make. But otherwise, it looks great. The night clarity of the rear camera seems to be good. How good it is when you compare with the factory fitted cam? Can you share some feedback on that please?
Raghu M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 17:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Wow, that's a great finish. I think the screen looks factory fitted to your car. Congrats. I somehow feel the hazard light is off it's place. I know it's a compromise that you had to make. But otherwise, it looks great. The night clarity of the rear camera seems to be good. How good it is when you compare with the factory fitted cam? Can you share some feedback on that please?
Yes, Hazard light button looks a bit off but even in it's OEM form it felt a bit out of place (Team BHP's official review also mentions about it looking like an after market I think).

Rear camera quality is definitely better than OEM especially in the dark. Large high resolution screen with high resolution night vision camera helps the cause.
yogesh.8984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 17:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post
Honda City ICE upgrade and Dashcam Setup
Congrats on the new ICE Setup on the car! Wish you many happy miles with the new setup.
Does Google Assistant work - can you do a "Hey Google" and give commands?
Also could you kindly install the CPU-Z App on your Head Unit and share the pictures from it for CPU, RAM/RAM and Android versions ?

Quote:
Somehow I wasn't comfortable with these local brands and their China made equipment's (even iPhone is made in China but we trust Apple).
What does it say about the Made in Country for this set? My understanding is that even the Blaupunkt ones are Made in China as well.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 5th February 2021 at 17:29.
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 17:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Best part of Android player is that you can install any app (Like YouTube, Spotify..) and use it on the go (with either inbuilt SIM or mobile tethering for internet connectivity).
What is inbuilt SIM? Do we have to insert SIM somewhere ?
Old 5th February 2021, 18:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Yes - check this: Link
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 19:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Congrats on the new ICE Setup on the car! Wish you many happy miles with the new setup.
Does Google Assistant work - can you do a "Hey Google" and give commands?
Also could you kindly install the CPU-Z App on your Head Unit and share the pictures from it for CPU, RAM/RAM and Android versions ?
Thank you vsrivatsa,
Yes, Google Assistant works with voice commands. However I use voice commands mostly for telephony with Siri on iPhone. It works seamlessly as well while paired with head unit.

I will check the app to validate the specifications that are mentioned in product manual and share the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
What does it say about the Made in Country for this set? My understanding is that even the Blaupunkt ones are Made in China as well.
Yes, it is made in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Yes, there are options available where you get a slot to insert SIM and it can be used for internet connectivity.
yogesh.8984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 17:05   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit

Damn, that's a good looking screen! Love the huge 10.1" look - feels so premium.

Quote:
Takes almost half a minute to boot up
Just like a phone, I guess?

Quote:
felt the need to upgrade the OEM ICE and spice up things a little.
Sensible . Keep spicing things up as the car ages. Way cheaper than getting bored of the car & buying a new one. I usually start my modifications at the 5 year mark too. Don't know if it ever crossed your mind, but a white City + black roof + black rims + upgraded tyres + freeflow exhaust + K&N typhoon style intake is the stuff of dreams.

Quote:
Total cost of equipment (excluding dashcam of course) and installation was 22.5k
Totally worth it! Time to plan on a speaker upgrade + subwoofer + amplifier . Once you walk into the Team-BHP ICE forum, you had better be prepared to lose your wallet.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 17:16   #9
BHPian

Thank you, GTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just like a phone, I guess?
Yes, just that unlike a phone, this needs to boot up every single time we start the car. Not a great issue though, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I usually start my modifications at the 5 year mark too. Don't know if it ever crossed your mind, but a white City + black roof + black rims + upgraded tyres + freeflow exhaust + K&N typhoon style intake is the stuff of dreams.
Absolutely, always a great idea! Loved the stock car for 4 years and now with extended warranty expired too - open for tasteful mods. I am big on white City + Black roof and would look to get started with it. Have upgraded the tyres already to Michelin XM2 (195/60 R15) from stock undersized ones.
yogesh.8984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 11:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. That looks like a tablet integrated in the car! Boot time is bit longer. But I guess that is common across all android HU's

And yes, the Blaupunkt reverse camera is the only true wide angle camera I have come across in Indian market. Before the Blaupunkt, I used a couple of no name Chinese ones and they not even cover the entire bumper view. The Blaupunkt ones covers end to end of the bumper and bit beyond which is very very useful in reversing. Not to mention they have very good clarity. Most of the available cameras in the market are not wide angle.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 11:53   #11
BHPian

This is a must-have upgrade in our cars now! A year ago, I had a similar installation in my Jazz 2009. Although that was a no-name Chinese brand with the exact same specs, I couldn't help but notice it seems like there is one single factory somewhere in China making the same devices, with the same design and left-handed layout of the physical keys. Blaupunkt has perhaps just painted its logo on the bottom, while everything else is the same. Yes, there are software interface differences though. Total cost with a great wide angle Nippon reverse camera was Rs. 10800
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_20191201_172940.jpg  

Last edited by lemedico : 8th February 2021 at 11:55. Reason: Added a sentence
lemedico is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 17:25   #12
BHPian

This looks stunning Yogesh! Congratulations on this upgrade

Btw, I also live in the same complex Maybe we can catch up sometime once I am back in Pune
venkats2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 23:13   #13
BHPian

Congratulations! I also have a 10 inch HU (Hypersonic 6GB) in my city and it totally changes the interiors and driving experience! I don't think I can ever drive a car without a spotify and Waze splitscreen now.

Edit: I do not have a split screen photo but I have added a photo of how my HU looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_20210208_232208.jpg  

Last edited by vellatechie : 8th February 2021 at 23:24. Reason: Added image.
vellatechie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 01:52   #14
BANNED

Guys there is an after market solution for your hazard light mis alignment issue. I had once used a 10.1 inch android head unit from Hamaan brand (yes, Chinese), and that accessories shop had a correctly aligned hazard switch which I opted for. Don't ask me about the experience now, as I have upgraded to Pioneer head unit and Rainbow component speakers.

I strongly feel, these are just rebranded Chinese head units with different launchers installed. Because the arrangement of physical touch buttons are ditto in mine also and the menu and back icons are also same. I also found sound output improvement, but if you are planning for better speakers then these won't provide much adjustments like time alignment, multi frequency (9/13) equalizers etc. Android head units are good for 'android experience', but not good for 'audio experience'.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 10:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
This is a must-have upgrade in our cars now! A year ago, I had a similar installation in my Jazz 2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Congratulations! I also have a 10 inch HU (Hypersonic 6GB) in my city and it totally changes the interiors and driving experience! I don't think I can ever drive a car without a spotify and Waze splitscreen now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I strongly feel, these are just rebranded Chinese head units with different launchers installed. Because the arrangement of physical touch buttons are ditto in mine also and the menu and back icons are also same. I also found sound output improvement, but if you are planning for better speakers then these won't provide much adjustments like time alignment, multi frequency (9/13) equalizers etc..
Folks can I request all of you to go thru this other thread here > (Is your Android Head-Unit faking its hardware specifications?).

Please install the "Device Info HW" and report your findings on that thread (this app is better than CPU-Z). I checked on my Foxfire HU and found the hardware configuration to be in sync but the Android was actually a lower version than the quoted one.

Honda City ICE upgrade & dashcam setup | Blaupunkt 10.1" Android Head Unit-img_20210209_101431.jpg
Device Info HW on Playstore
vsrivatsa is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks