Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2007, 07:43   #1
BHPian

Fiat siena (new shape) speaker size

hi guys,

I want to buy the front/rear speakers for my fiat siena (new shape) to replace the OE speakers. But since I am in US rite now, I am not able to get the size of the speakers that will fit in the existing mounts (I dont want to upsize the speakers). Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

- Karthik.
Old 21st April 2007, 18:39   #2
BHPian

You are asking the size of the speakers that are mountable in your car?
Old 21st April 2007, 23:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

The front will take upto 6.5" with spacers. I think the rears are also 6.5". (Not too sure about the rears).
Old 23rd April 2007, 09:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hydra what is the size if one does not want to use spacers? 5"?
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Navin it is 5 and 1/2 inch for the fronts and 4 inches for the rear without spacers.
Old 23rd April 2007, 11:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Hydra what is the size if one does not want to use spacers? 5"?
The car comes with a crappy Nippon 6" full range speaker (with a small magnet). So 6" would be the "official" size. But for most makes of speakers you need a spacer to get anything more than 5.25" as Moral mentioned.

The Palio and the Siena have identical sizes in front. I had various 5.25" speakers installed in my Palio first. Then I'd installed a 6" IC22 (or something from Blau) without a spacer or any mod to the opening. After that a 5.25" ODx went in without any tapping or spacers. Lastly (in stock format) I got 6.5" ODx662s (really shallow speakers) installed with a bit of tapping around the edges, and without a spacer. All this should apply to a Siena too. Most installs of Palios and Sienas I've seen are 6.5" with spacers.
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Navin it is 5 and 1/2 inch for the fronts and 4 inches for the rear without spacers.
4" for rear? I think it is the same size as front, 5.25". 4" for rear is a special phenomenon in Adventure.
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
4" for rear? I think it is the same size as front, 5.25". 4" for rear is a special phenomenon in Adventure.
I didn't know it was different for the adventure, my bad. I took your speaker purchase for reference. Thanks for the correction!
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenKnight View Post
You are asking the size of the speakers that are mountable in your car?
Problem is that I can't find the front/rear OE speaker size anywhere online. Till date I did not care as I was running the OE speakers - so have not got a chance to check them when I was in India.
Old 24th April 2007, 01:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Pls let me know if I can conclude if all the 4 speakers are 5.25 round ones in siena ...

- Karthik.
Old 24th April 2007, 08:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
The car comes with a crappy Nippon 6" full range speaker (with a small magnet). So 6" would be the "official" size. But for most makes of speakers you need a spacer to get anything more than 5.25" as Moral mentioned.

The Palio and the Siena have identical sizes in front. I had various 5.25" speakers installed in my Palio first. Then I'd installed a 6" IC22 (or something from Blau) without a spacer or any mod to the opening. After that a 5.25" ODx went in without any tapping or spacers. Lastly (in stock format) I got 6.5" ODx662s (really shallow speakers) installed with a bit of tapping around the edges, and without a spacer. All this should apply to a Siena too. Most installs of Palios and Sienas I've seen are 6.5" with spacers.
Hydra, I am not very conversant with spacers usage for car speaker mounting. Is it something used, so that we need not cut existing mounting to get some bigger speakers fit into that ... If spacers are used, I am interpreting that we can go for 6" speakers all around - am i right ...

Thanks.

- Karthik.
Old 24th April 2007, 08:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Pls let me know if I can conclude if all the 4 speakers are 5.25 round ones in siena ...
- Karthik.
Getting 5.25" will keep you safe in front & back, as you will be able to fit them with no issues even in a 6" or 6.5" provision using an mdf reducer. But I feel you would be wasting the opportunity to get bigger speakers.

And what speakers are you planning to buy from the US? Unless you're getting high-end brands, you may not make a saving worth the hassle. And you'll need to pay for installation here.

If you buy from India, you will most likey get the speakers installed for free from the place you're buying them from. And of course you can get the maximum size that fits, after seeing the exact size for yourself.

Last edited by hydrashok : 24th April 2007 at 08:54.
Old 24th April 2007, 19:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Getting 5.25" will keep you safe in front & back, as you will be able to fit them with no issues even in a 6" or 6.5" provision using an mdf reducer. But I feel you would be wasting the opportunity to get bigger speakers.

And what speakers are you planning to buy from the US? Unless you're getting high-end brands, you may not make a saving worth the hassle. And you'll need to pay for installation here.

If you buy from India, you will most likey get the speakers installed for free from the place you're buying them from. And of course you can get the maximum size that fits, after seeing the exact size for yourself.
I am thinking of some polk/infinity speakers (not the high end though) in sub 100$ price range. Does it make sense, or should I drop this idea ...

Thanks.

- Karthik.
Old 24th April 2007, 20:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hydra, I am not very conversant with spacers usage for car speaker mounting. Is it something used, so that we need not cut existing mounting to get some bigger speakers fit into that ... If spacers are used, I am interpreting that we can go for 6" speakers all around - am i right ...
Didn't see this post before

Yep. You got it right. Spacers are rings (usually made of MDF) that help us:
(a) push the speakers into the cabin, away from the window glass (in the case of the front doors, when the windows are rolled down) and/or
(b) mount larger diameter speakers.

We screw the speakers onto the spacers, and screw the spacers onto the car.

And yes, with spacers, you can go upto 6.5" in front and most likely the same in back. I can't be too sure of the back because the speaker provision is such that it is a raised projection (vey "pod" like). In any case you will be able to install 6.5" with a spacer back there, but what I'm concerned about is that, if the speaker is mounted a bit far back from the grille (with a spacer) with a 2" to 3" conical wall-structure closing around the lip of the speaker, tapering inward to the grille, the speakers might end-up sounding a bit hollow.

ece2K2, try PMing MaxBHP (a member here). He drives a Siena with Alpines in the back. He should be able to give exact info. MAXBHP, you Siena driving nut, where are you?

Quote:
I am thinking of some polk/infinity speakers (not the high end though) in sub 100$ price range. Does it make sense, or should I drop this idea ...
Could you post some model-names/numbers? Not that I know the prices, but some member or the other here would have an idea of the prices. Sam Kapasi can help you with Infinity prices (he's the Brand Director of JBL in India). I really didn't know there were Infinitys available under $100. I think they start at about 7K here in India. I have no idea of Polk prices, sorry.
Old 24th April 2007, 20:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Could you post some model-names/numbers? Not that I know the prices, but some member or the other here would have an idea of the prices. Sam Kapasi can help you with Infinity prices (he's the Brand Director of JBL in India). I really didn't know there were Infinitys available under $100. I think they start at about 7K here in India. I have no idea of Polk prices, sorry.
thanks a lot hydra - that is a real good clarification. i was looking at infinity 5010cs for around 130$. these are 5.25" though. And 6012i for the rear for 80$.

- karthik.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks