Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2007, 13:20   #1
BANNED

ants in my head unit

guys i have strange problem...their are lots of red ants in my pioneer head unit will it causes any problem to the player.......is their any solution to getting rid of them....
Old 21st April 2007, 13:49   #2
BHPian

Anything other than electronics and mechanicals in your system is not good news vijju. Would suggest you take it along to a service center and get it serviced ASAP. Would not suggest a DIY on this because dead ants in your system aint good news either.

Last edited by suren181 : 21st April 2007 at 13:50.
Old 21st April 2007, 14:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

u can remove your headunit and open the above cover and use a blower to remove the dust and dead ants
Old 21st April 2007, 16:35   #4
BHPian

Get the unit cleaned professionally, or else at least vaccuum out the ants (don't blow air into the system).
Then paint (do not spray) insecticide all around the unit with a small artists brush. Do not forget to coat all wires leading upto the unit with the insecticide. Do a thourough wash of the car.
Old 21st April 2007, 16:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
u can remove your headunit and open the above cover and use a blower to remove the dust and dead ants
u haveto be careful with a blower.. use a low pressure if at all, cuz otherwise there's a chance to damage internal parts..

I think you should use some non-conductive cleaning solution which are used to clean computer motherboards, but just make sure nothing comes on the lense.. I think colin is a non-conducting cleaning solution..
and make sure you let it dry thoroughly after cleaning...
maybe some experts can throw some light on this..
Old 21st April 2007, 17:10   #6
BANNED

What HU do you have? Cd? Cassette? What model number?
It is better to clean your system professionally. If You're comfortable with removing things and fitting it back without any leftovers, then DIY can also be considered.
Your car also needs some attention in cleaning department I guess.

BTW, it seems you have a very sweet HU?
Old 21st April 2007, 17:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

What a coincidence... I have Antz in my HU too...

Old 21st April 2007, 18:29   #8
BHPian

i m not sure about hte technicalities of the HU but you could use a chalk that is specially made to get rid of ants. you could just apply it behind the hu and the ants will not be even able to come near it. in fact you could use it even on the beading of the cars so that the ants do not enter.
Old 21st April 2007, 18:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

How did you manage to get ants in your car

stop eating in the car you should get it checked asap and how did you come to know you have ants in your car share your experience so we can see the signs and don't end up in a problem like yours
Old 21st April 2007, 19:48   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
What a coincidence... I have Antz in my HU too...
I think that is ANTZ!!

The Chalk idea by Manaa45 is great. Very easy to do. But doesn't this chalk fade out fast?
Old 21st April 2007, 21:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
The Chalk idea by Manaa45 is great. Very easy to do. But doesn't this chalk fade out fast?
the lines made by the chalk will not fade if it is behind the HU but anyways you could always draw another line if you feel it has faded out. the chalk will atleast 6 months.

mansi
Old 21st April 2007, 22:45   #12
BANNED

actually after commin from college i forgot to remove the choclates on the dash board..so by next day morning their were full red ants ....i removed them all..but recently i found that these red ants are still in my head unit(cd player)
Old 21st April 2007, 22:46   #13
BANNED

thaks for the replies guys will get the head unit serviced......
Old 21st April 2007, 23:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Now, This is what i call a lady's home remedy.
Old 21st April 2007, 23:03   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Rarely are insects attracted to any mechanicals/electricals. I doubt that gear grease is sustenence for the ants. I agree with what was said, the problem lies mostly with eating in the car.

You may have changed tracks or fiddled with the HU while munching on say, a burger. OR if you have kids, maybe it's sweet hands, or worse, something inside.
Chalk and insecticide will not solve the issue. I suggest you take the hu to a service centre, where they can clean it with pressured air and certain areas with IP alcohol.

Before you do that, i can suggest one more thing. If you are a smoker, take e face plate out and wipe it with zippo fuel and clean cotton. In fact wipe all the areas of the HU you can see. This just might solve your problem. If you dont smoke, no need to start... just borrow someone's fuel, or you can buy some for 100-120 bucks. Its very useful around the place, as a stain remover, even stubborn tar on the car.

Remember zippo fuel is ok, acetone is not. Or else you'll be writing in the ICE section... my bad experience of adding acetone in my HU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks