Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 17:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Two head-unit outputs (F+R) to one speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
No one will steal a cassette player. They won't even know what it is.

Do you have any cassettes and a tape deck? Just record a mix on cassette and you are home.

Your other option is to get some media player that takes an SD card or better still enjoy the music of the turbo.
ha ha ha, yes a cassette deck is not worth any thief`s time anymore, seeing that on the dash they would think its an old vehicle with a new number plate (which it sort of is).

I should search on OLX to see if anyone is getting rid of one. Kenwood should be ideal, in memory of my Esteem. I have a collection of cassettes back in my hometown, I wonder if they are any good now, its been many many years since I have been there.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 11:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
ha ha ha, yes a cassette deck is not worth any thief`s time anymore, seeing that on the dash they would think its an old vehicle with a new number plate (which it sort of is).

I should search on OLX to see if anyone is getting rid of one. Kenwood should be ideal, in memory of my Esteem. I have a collection of cassettes back in my hometown, I wonder if they are any good now, its been many many years since I have been there.
As I understand you're looking for a barebones, minimal yet functional system for your soft top.

We had a thread on the forum sometime back about how we can skip using the head unit and use the DAC of the phone to send a signal to the amp and then >>>>speakers.

Link to thread (Do I really need a 'smart' head-unit...or a head-unit at all?)
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 12:39   #18
BHPian

You can not parallel output of two power amps, period.

Best way is to parallel to two speakers from each channel or use separate amplifier to drive them.
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 01:57   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

People, esp Navin,

This is what happened / bacame of things over the weekend.

I decided to dump the pio ovals.
I built a ported single oval enclosure. I padded it up nicely with nitrile foam. Used 15mm plywood. Cushioned two sides (against the sides and bottom of the car) and wrapped the whole thing in carpeting. Heck, I even spray painted it for a nice dual tone finish. Did the wires up with quick release connectors.

What do you think? Sound test happens tomorrow. The nitrile should keep it from moving too much. And if it must, it'll stick instead of flipping over on every bump / swerve.

(one of the attachments is just the previous set uo - using the mobile for attachments for the first time.)
Attached Thumbnails
Two head-unit outputs (F+R) to one speaker?-20210309_233635.jpg  

Two head-unit outputs (F+R) to one speaker?-20210310_003359.jpg  

Two head-unit outputs (F+R) to one speaker?-20210309_204139.jpg  

Two head-unit outputs (F+R) to one speaker?-20210306_100209.jpg  

wooka is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 16:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
People, esp Navin,

This is what happened/became of things over the weekend.
Awesome work. I especially liked the "juggaad" speaker connector!

See if the 6x9s can fit when rotated 90 deg (with the long side against the driver and passenger seat). The tweeters of the Infinity 6x9s are angled and can be then directed forward.

Last edited by navin : 10th March 2021 at 16:44.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 23:14   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sure, would have. Unfortunately, the box is massive. It barely fits above the wheel arch length wise. However, there is some room where the wheel arches taper off, but these boxes will lose their charm and I cushioned only the base and the side against the cabin with nitrile foam to take vibrations and keep the box planted. That tilted arrangement may direct the tweeters ahead.

Instead, I'll probably compensate with the +3dB toggle on the tweeter. Let's see if it chirps.if it does, I can toggle it again, and get another 6.5 pair that I roof mount with say a custom enclosure PU foam stuck to the roof (I hope it doesn't fall off and hit my head as I drive over rough terrain.)

P.S. - found out too late that I don't have access to speaker terminals �� so I did what had to be done. Also, what if I attach them to the tapered wheel arch somehow! What do you think my options are? I'm thinking something that slides into place, like a channel. What say?

Most Viewed